Shift Handle

BGarrett

I have to replace my gear shift handle. I have a OEM handle but not the internal parts. Can i use the old shifter parts or is it a pain? Thanks. 87 GN

Depends on what broke on the inside?
Nothing is broke on the old one its just at the base of the handle right below the horseshoe clip it is broke and the handle moves back and forth it is not solid. If i take it off can i use the old parts on the new handle?

Take the handle off and inspect it, and the stalk and see what is allowing it to move around. Post a pic if you can. Back when I had a stock shifter, the plastic ends on the stalk, one was broke off and it would not stay tight.

Take the handle off and inspect it, and the stalk and see what is allowing it to move around. Post a pic if you can. Back when I had a stock shifter, the plastic ends on the stalk, one was broke off and it would not stay tight.
Thanks David for your help i tried to upload a video but for some reason, it won't let me. Ok if i grab the handle and move it in any direction the whole handle moves that is the best i can describe it. I really apprciate your help.

Attachments

• DSCN1278.JPG
    DSCN1278.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • DSCN1279.JPG
    DSCN1279.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
  • DSCN1281.JPG
    DSCN1281.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
If the stalk is intact then the plastic that is broke is the inside of the handle itself, the new handle should fix the problem. have you taken the handle off and looked up inside of it?

If you need the spring, button etc out of the old one you should be able to use that for the new handle if needed.

Maybe its time to upgrade the shifter??

My car
Shifter2.jpg

If the stalk is intact then the plastic that is broke is the inside of the handle itself, the new handle should fix the problem. have you taken the handle off and looked up inside of it?

If you need the spring, button etc out of the old one you should be able to use that for the new handle if needed.

Maybe its time to upgrade the shifter??

My car
View attachment 304264
No i have not taken the old one off yet. I wanted first to get the info on replacing it. Will try to get to it this weekend. As far as an upgrade i am trying to keep it stock since i bought it new. Once again i thank you for your help and patience. If i have any more questions i hope i can get back to you. Thanks Bruce.

I know this is an old post, but the same thing just happened to me. My shifter handle suddenly got very loose similar to what was mentioned above by the original poster & I was afraid it would break off. My question is, do I have to worry about the shifter handle breaking off? Everything else below the handle seems solid. Is the solution to just replace or change any broken parts holding the handle in place? Im having my car transported to another state in a couple weeks & want to make sure there are no issues because of this.

Thanks for any replies.
Ronnie

Ok thanks for responding. Do you think I would have to worry about the handle breaking off during shifting before I change it. Car is not driven that often. Thanks.

The guts of the handle are plastic, it will happen over time. If it breaks completely just pull it off and use your thumb. LoL. It's not going to get you stuck anywhere. I upgraded from the stock years ago I got tired of them breaking.

Attachments

• 2B471AC0-9D31-4523-8DCB-2A136C287DEF.jpeg
    2B471AC0-9D31-4523-8DCB-2A136C287DEF.jpeg
    493 KB · Views: 40