Serious Question about a G8

JayLashua

Has anyone here ever contemplated what a Pontiac G8 might be with a Buick motor?

Seriously! ;)

Let's look at figures, realistically

Stock '87 engine made what, 250 HP / 360 Tq? Ok. Stock G8 GT 6.0L is rated at "361 HP / 385 Tq", well, let's just say that people with GXP versions claiming 420 hp are finding dyno numbers closer to that of the advertised specs on the GT model!

I haven't posted here for YEARS but I'd seriously like to see what you TB guys think of the G8 and more so, if anyone is crazy enough to put a 3.8 turbo into one ;)

peace

The G8 is a great car, but you can get so much more out of the LS motor! No wiring headaches or fabrication, and by spending a couple grand for a turbo or centrifugal kit you'll get way more oomph and double the mileage...

G8 gxp

I own a GXP let me just say quicker than a regular G8. Handles better than a regular G8. I'm very happy with the car.

It's an interesting thought. Like S10xGN stated, there'd be a lot less headaches and money spent just beefing up what's there.

At Bowling Green this year there was a CTS with a LC2 setup. I didn't talk to the owner, but I'd think he's be the closest to speak about this kind of conversion.

I'll tell ya what

I have a complete running t-type parts car (87) that i will swap you for the engine/trans/ecu and wiring harness out of the G8.

if the next motor in my GN goes to hell i'm going LS and saying the hell with a V6 thats fragile as fine china!

If you wanted to do a boosted 3.8, I'd go with the Series II 3800 that's offered factory in that platform in Australia. Just skip the Eaton M90 and to straight to a turbo setup.

I own a GXP let me just say quicker than a regular G8. Handles better than a regular G8. I'm very happy with the car.

I REALLY like those G8's especially the GXP. I have only seen 3 or 4 around. I ran across the production numbers for those and wow talk about rare. I was surprised to see that you could actually get an auto trans in a G8 GXP. I am sure you've seen this but if not here goes.

Attachments

• g8production.jpg
    g8production.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 353
the orange metallic is not on that list and it's a 09 color only

the orange metallic is not on that list and it's a 09 color only

Nope, 2008 was the only year that the Ignition Orange Metallic was offered. The Stealth Blue Metallic was also a 2008 only color.

So far no mechanical problems with my car and it has over 31K miles.

Since the consensus is that my poor old regular G8’s going to blow up at anytime and the wheels fall off, maybe I should be saving up for an LSX transplant.

A LC2 would be kind of neat but I believe rebuild the existing engine would be simpler, cheaper, have overall more power and able to maintain the power more reliably.

ESINGER took me for a ride in his G8 GT and all I could say was "WOW!" The G8 is one fine car! I love the GN motor but you would be crazy to pull that motor. Think of the G8 as a new 4-door Camaro.
Conrad

Bowling Green this year there was a CTS with a LC2 setup. I didn't talk to the owner, but I'd think he's be the closest to speak about this kind of conversion.
It has a 750hp DLS built stage 2 motor

The film crew for MuscleCar?? interviewed him so it'll be on TV.....not sure when though

09 g8 gt here at the house. Love the car and no way I would pull that motor for a v6 transplant. A twin turbo set up on the 6.0 would make it a monster as its strong like it is.