Series II L67 Grand National??!!??

The OP (me) is not using a 200 trans with a SII PCM. I am using a SII PCM with the 4L60E, and we have been since day 1. This had been running over 500whp on the 4L60E with no issues the entire time, likely over 600whp now. Since the 500whp dyno runs, I have switched many items up. E85, 6266, External 3.5" dp, entire fuel system...etc. The only issue with the trans I have had is the Precision single disc LU TC, which was not built for the power it is seeing. I now have a 5 disc billet TC, but Precision is working on fabricating a one off input shaft to avoid any possible problems before we install. Im not sure how much power you plan on running daily, but the 4L60E has not let me down in 6yrs with very high power level. When they are built correctly, I wouldnt worry much about them. That being said, there are plenty of other options that have been discussed.

I will hopefully get a chance this year to sit down and update the thread with some newer info and results. Had a lot of changes/trials going on the last two years, but it is still running strong. Looking to get some more dyno time this year, as well as get it back to the track for a single pass and get the boot.

Cody

You getting a billet front shaft made for your 60* 4l60e trans?

It looks like for the water pump you guys are cutting off the factory outlet and welding it closed, then welding on a port to the line that would usually be designated for the heater lines? Are you all not running a heater anymore? Also for everyone that is running them has this reduced water pump inlet caused any worse cooling?

Thanks, Dan

I haven't had any over heating at all either with the way my different set up is.

Well I picked up my $350 L26 from the salvage yard Friday. It has 64K miles on it and is in very good condition. I am waiting for ZZP to get forged rods back in stock which they said is this week and I will order the rods, pistons, and cam to get the short block together. I plan to weld on a 16AN fitting on the front cover and run 16AN cooler lines instead of a hose and welded on nipple.

I plan to cut the big back section off the "Front" manifold and weld a V-band on, this should retain energy better in the cast iron and will be quicker than fabricating a header for the passenger side. We have done this on our LS builds and it works great, testing will tell for sure on the 3800. I also plan to utilize the stock rear manifold flange and existing primary tubing to make a log setup.

I'm working on figuring out the best way to adapt my 200R4 at the moment as far as the TV cable and TQ converter are concerned. I got the Speedway adapter for giggles to see if I can make something work. It appears the converter diameter is WAY too big for the stock flex plate which worries me that if I use adapter/spacers it will put the assembly out of balance.

,Dan

trannyman knows the number better than i do on parts and labor, but ide say it ended up around 6500, but i sold about 3500 in parts out of the car, and still have the engine to sell:biggrin:

The car is unbelievably fast compared to the setup i had in my sig on 26psi, and the boost is only set to 17 psi right now. Leaving for the track shortly, but without a cage we are gonna get booted after the first pass:mad:
I've got more into my 109 block and I still have about another $7k to finish my low 10s GN. You did good for yourself. I realized something, I'm spending all this money for a mere 150hp more. I was asking my engine builder for a 109 block that would support 600rwhp and he said that if I wanted to consistently run that I would need to go to a stage 2 or TA performance block. Sounds like the 3800 S2 or S3 block could be built to support that power and no worries, with proper tune, etc. Oh, maybe in the future.

Figure its about time to bring this thing back from the dead...

Been awhile since i posted an update, as we moved across the country and it took awhile to get the car to TX. Got the new 4L60E trans setup in with custom billet IS and triple disk lockup TC. World of difference that makes locking under WOT.

Last month I took the time to do some much needed upgrades for the Texas heat. New radiator to replace original, new shroud and fans to match, GN1 super extreme front mount, and fabbed up new cold pipes.

With the new setup, I had to add nearly 15% fueling up top, tapping out my 95# injectors!!!! I saw 101% DC on my last logs, so I am going to dial the upper range back a bit and add some meth. Might even grab a 2nd nozzle to make sure it can keep up. Car is running better than it ever has, still on stock shortblock after all these years!

Up next, I have SSM Pro Series upper CA's with longer ball joints, new bilstein shocks all around, moog springs all around, and waiting to get my new tubular lowers with 1/2" taller joints. Currently fabbing up an intake box to act as a PCM cover, and clean up the drivers side a bit.

I have an extra LSx sitting on engine stand taunting me.... but the car is running too good to change right now.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for the update. Was tuning the stock Series 2 pcm difficult? How much faster do you think the turbo lsx setup would be?

3800 PCM is as basic as it comes. Given it is the v6 camaro PCM, it doesnt have 1/5th the parameters that the lsx platform has.

Tough to say how much faster the LSx setup would be without completely spec-ing it out. I can tell you I wouldnt do that swap to make this car any faster, as it is already too much for normal street driving. I would do it just to have something new.

Get her back to the track! I'm surprised after all these years a few more people didn't go this route.

Plan is to get it back to the track within the next month, before the texas heat completely takes over. I have to finish up the airbox and 4" intake setup I am making, then swap in the new struts and moog springs.

Interested in the track numbers, I see quite a few l67’s and tons of l36’s in the boneyards by me.

Always wondered how this panned out over the years. Glad to see some updates!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Plan is to get it back to the track within the next month, before the texas heat completely takes over. I have to finish up the airbox and 4" intake setup I am making, then swap in the new struts and moog springs.

May 11th Buick Race Day at Xtreme Raceway in Ferris TX. 30 miles south of Dallas.

Hmm. I would only be a couple hours from there pending on the exact location. I might look that up.

Tearing apart car again now to replace all shocks/springs, new upper CA's in rear, new upper/lowers up front with taller ball joints. Will try to grab a few pics before/after.

Intake is finally finished. Rear shocks and new springs installed.

All front suspension is in garage waiting to go on, as well as new body bushings.

Spent last couple days dialing in the time with new 4" intake and turbo guard. Up to 21psi, out of 95# injector, and meth is nearly full tilt on e85. Might be time to upgrade turbo and injectors.

Attachments

• IMG_20190510_183151.jpg
    IMG_20190510_183151.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20190519_085216.jpg
    IMG_20190519_085216.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 60
I think a 109 will take 600 rwhp all day now. Anyway what are you putting out for power now ? Any drag strip results ?

I have two machined 3800 Series two blocks. If I would've known that the series II blocks were a viable swap back in 2013, I would've spent my money on building a 3800 powered Grand National. I still may do it, but since I don't have lots of time or experience I would have to rely on my engine builder to fab up almost everything. Several people have said, well it begs the question if you want more power reliably just buy a stage or TA performance block because in the end you'll end up spending the same amount. This statement may be true, but it's just knowing that you're using a stock block, crank and main caps makes it so much more interesting and challenging I guess. Anyway, with my new combo that was put in back in 2016 I have yet to take it past half throttle. Not tuned yet, - tuned but for 16-18psi with the HD wastegate I can keep the boost below 18psi unless I stay at half throttle.

I think a 109 will take 600 rwhp all day now. Anyway what are you putting out for power now ? Any drag strip results ?

Maybe? But with a girdle at least? I'm pushing close to 600 at the crank but not RWHP. I've always thought and been told a stock block couldn't go more than that if you wanted it to live very long. I've seen the 3800 World go turbo and lay down some very impressive numbers at a lot less boost than I'm running on my 109.

Maybe? But with a girdle at least? I'm pushing close to 600 at the crank but not RWHP. I've always thought and been told a stock block couldn't go more than that if you wanted it to live very long. I've seen the 3800 World go turbo and lay down some very impressive numbers at a lot less boost than I'm running on my 109.

Ya we have a girdle on our stuff.. Way more than 600 RWHP. Yes we drive em . I have been watching threads about the 3800.. Would like to see actual drag racing results with one in a Buick Turbo car. :cool:

There are a few W body Regal builds with 60 series turbos well into the 120-125mph range in the 1/4 running boost anywhere from 17-20lbs.