Series 2 specs for poss s10 swap

S_blazin

I've been reading around latley and havent been finding the answers i'm looking for.

i've got a 92 s10 with a carb'd 383/th350, runs 11.70's but i'd like to go faster, i'm not building another v8, had considered low comp pistons and adding a 70mm turbo (always been a turbo guy) but i don't like blow through carbs and havent found any efi systems that i like, and they arent cheap. My Gn buddy and i were talking the other day and he suggested a s/c series 2 because they are factory forged internals and are cross bolted mains which i like alot. from what i've read they can make alot of hp with alot of boost untouched bottom end.

pull the s/c off and switch to a camaro manifold. i know that the series 2 takes a 60 deg bell, but i thought i had read that the motor shares the same mounts as s10? 2.5, 2.8 or 4.3 i don't remember and i can't find that info now. can anyone clarify if thats remotely correct or not? I know that 3.8 gn and 3800 series 2 moutns are not the same but is it all together different and need to be fabbed?

i'm seriously considering this swap but after 3 yrs building my 11 sec syclone and building this truck to where its at now i'm not looking for something long and drawn out.

i saw a post in here talking about seeing this done before but would be nice to acutally talk to someone who has done it, see what i'd be getting myself into

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/1991-s10-buick-3-8-project.273517/

I'd say... If you already have a 350/350 already in there, swap in an LS and either keep the 350 or run a 4L80. The Buick is a nightmare to fit and work on! Been there, done that, still regretting it...

Hmmm really, man maybe your right. I've been doing a lot of reading and found some good stuff but a few things have been turning me off.

what was so bad about your swap?

I found that v8 olds frame and block mounts are what can be used in one guys build thread, with a spacer on the block, and for the trans I figured I'd get one of those adapter plates to use my th350 or 4l80 or whatever. they are 1 in thick and very nicely designed but also very spendy $495

also I've had people arguing with me that s/c l67's don't have forged internals.

I hated building my bigger turbo syclone because I had zero room by the end, had to keep cramming stuff under the hood and by the end its so cramped that changing spark plugs is a day long affair. working on it completely blows...... but when it runs right it sure is fun!!!

I fabbed the entire intercooler system from scratch on my sy as well, it was a PITA but turned out very nice, however I vowed I wouldn't build another system like it again. I like the 3.8's because they are so small that you can set the turbo up in front of the motor and have tons of room to work.. not like any other car where the turbo faces forward with the engine.

Tranny adapter from speedway motors is around $100, but you need to have a custom converter made. The engine is physically wider than the 4.3 so headers have to be fabbed as well as a down pipe. As far as motor mounts go, there's a fairly simple solution. I made my own mounts for my stock block. Here's a couple of crappy pics to give you some ideas.;)
DSCF1205.JPG DSCN0009.JPG

Now Unc ya know the s10 is a metric frame like that g body...

Man my advice to you is don't do it cause of cost to do it and payout in the end the 383 is better as it sits even if its a "dirt track" motor.

Besides ya talken rebuilden the firewall and ALL kinds of other nightmares. Oh ya then ya got to find someone to tune it... Good luck with that one.

Its fun and possible, but cost wise I could build 4 s10s with a 5.3/4l80 setups with turbo.

Sent while waiting for boost to build...

And the series 2 don't share any mounts with no s10 motor why ya think noone has done the swap yet on S10 forum and the ones that have are running custom mounts they built at home.

Sent while waiting for boost to build...

Try my build page, I think it''s still active. It is a "free" host site so there will be popups! All the sh!t I went through is there and I can guarantee you there is very little room left in the engine bay for anything larger than a sheet of paper. It's like a jigsaw puzzle, everything goes in (and comes out) in a certain order...

Im unclear what your tring to do? If your swapping a series II 3800 into a s10 id think it would be an easy swap. Economical as well. I'm swapping one in a datsun, supercharged l67 short block, fbody top end, v6 4l60e and made some motor mounts out of stock steel? The s10 has more space in the bay than a datsun and even in my Z car everything for the most part fit very well. look me up on facebook, "kings ransom entertainment"