Sensor wire check...

Rosey1968

I was checking my sensor wires a few weeks agao and noticed some issues so I decided to fix them all. Sadly I did not realize until i got into this that a couple of issues that badly needed addressing. I should ahve done this a long time ago.

For one, my crank sensor connector was broken, the clip was broken off. I spliced in a new Caspers replacement connector.

FYI... Most wires are 18 guage but there was one 16 guage on the IAC from what I remember.

I also had this from my TPS sensor... I had to remove the previously installed heat dhrink to find this... :oops:
IMG_2577.jpg

This on my IAC connector:
IMG_2578.jpg

Some connectors I completely reqired and some I use what was still good. Here is the final prodcut with new looms:
IMG_2594.jpg

I believe it. With these cars being almost 35 years old these connectors and wires are very brittle and fragile. I've heard Caspers makes a very nice reproduction harness but its $$$.

Here is a pic of some wiring I found of the fuel pump hotwire feed. The work on the car was done by a well known expert, before my purchase. They didn't have the correct butt connector size for the wire size, and reduced the wire size for the connector they had.

Point is: Once you find one trace of :poop:, start questioning everything.

SmartSelect_20200409-121008_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
you are exactly right... I did the Casper ground wire stretcher kit about a month ago and found this sensor ground wire

ground wire 3 16 20.jpg

and that has led me to check every wire in this 'time of confinement'... gotta do somehting, so I might as well make the best use of my time.

We find that :poop: on most every car, that comes in for a "minor wiring issue". Most are so bad, the boss man tells the customer, that the correct repair is a new harness. Some react w/ an affirmative, some with, "just patch it up. I'm selling the car". That usually results in a "No thanks", from the boss.
I've seen as many as 6 butt splices, and 2-6 different color/size wires, in a 3' run. NASTY!

Here is a pic of some wiring I found of the fuel pump hotwire feed. The work on the car was done by a well known expert, before my purchase. They didn't have the correct butt connector size for the wire size, and reduced the wire size for the connector they had.

Point is: Once you find one trace of :poop:, start questioning everything.

View attachment 352554
nothing like turning a 10 ga wire into a 20 ga.

I've seen as many as 6 butt splices, and 2-6 different color/size wires, in a 3' run. NASTY!
Not as bad as that , but this was the garbage in my ECM harness . Casper's connector with pigtails worked great !
DSCN0632.JPGDSCN0634.JPGDSCN0635.JPG