Selling my car, what should I take?

Crazy D

Resident Madcap
Last fall I decided to part with my car. I'd rather have the cash, and maybe get into something newer, more solid, and "easy fast" down the road (LS1 F-body, 300Z TT). This spring I put flyers up in a few places and made a few local message board posts. I showed the car tonight to a guy, and he offered me 9k. I was asking 10,600. I paid $10,500 in 1999, and added all the things that appear below. I'm completely torn right now on what to do. I don't NEED to sell the car, but I don't WANT to have it here for another long stretch. So I guess I'm just looking for food for thought. The long thing that follows is the text of my "ads":

1987 Buick Grand National For Sale
Just turned 54k miles
PW/PL/Twilight Sentinel/Tilt/Cruise/AC
Pioneer CD deck
Stock block 3.8 Turbo
Numerous upgrades (see below)

$10,600

This is an almost complete list of upgrades and maintenance since I’ve owned the car:

spark plugs and wires at 48,000
walbro 340 fuel pump, accufab regulator, fp gauge, new fuel filter
hooker 2.5" exhaust w/ test pipe
passenger valve cover breather bypass
new PCV
underhood, rear, and front body braces
KYB shocks and Variable Springs put on back at 49,500
engine tie-down strap
solid MAF pipe
vacuum brake conversion (the original powermasters are terrible and $$$)
outlaw rims and BFG 275's put on at 49,500
passenger side header crack welded (this happens on ALL TRs)
tranny and rear end service at 49,700 A-pillar pod w/ boost gauge,
air/fuel gauge
009 injectors at 50,150
TE-44 turbo, ATR 2.5" downpipe, ported elbow at 50,180
Duttweiler neck intercooler
sagging headliner repaired
2800 torque converter
B&M shift kit
brake line lock
larger tranny cooler installed *currently bypassed, stock unit used*
driveshaft safety loop
extra vacuum canister installed
a/c converted/recharged at 52,000
broken power antenna replaced with fixed mast at 52,300
MAF Translator+, LS1 MAF, and Extender chip combo installed at 52,300
New K&N cone filter at 52,300
New 02 sensor just put in
Oil changes done every spring (never more than 2000 miles)

I also have Turbolink on a laptop, a scan tool is also necessary for these cars.
For the full asking price, I will include the laptop, original Turbolink disk, and ALDL cable.

As far as what's wrong with it... nothing mechanically as far as I know. The body and paint is what a reasonable person would expect from a 17 year old car. Car looks nice from a distance, get many comments, up close it shows it's age in spots (*edit: it has dimples in the hood, wheel well lip is jacked, two rims are scuffed, stuff like that). The worst thing about it is a small dent in the passenger side door that just happened!! ARRGH!

I'd say 10-11k is a fair price for a 87 GN with 54k and no rust. There were not many out there that nice when I was looking last year...

Agreed!! don't think 10 sounds bad at all! It's a GRAND NATIONAL for pete sakes! Someone will buy!!

Here's my take on it -
a perfect car commands top dollar. Also, any aftermarket alterations to a car - even if it makes it better - decreases its value. the only GNs sold for big dollars are low mile ORIGINAL cars.
With some after market mods, for $10,600, the car should only need some TLC and minor repairs. Dent repair and paint is NOT a minor repair.
If you want top dollar, return it to stock and fix the paint problems.

IMO, 9000.00 for it isn't to bad at all. If that's not the money you want, wait it out.

Just another opinion (worth what you're payin' for it :D )
If you've really decided to 'turn it into money' for something else and you have a 'real' buyer, go ahead and negotiate a final price somewhere in the middle (there's no such thing as an 'exact value' anyhow). No sense putting even more $ in that you won't get back.

I've got the LS1 waiting for you right here in the form of a 2001 TA when you're ready! :)

Originally posted by zam70
the only GNs sold for big dollars are low mile ORIGINAL cars.

BINGO!!! Thats what I've been seeing too! As I've been contenplating selling the Mint Silver T in my Sig, but the market, especially for 'T's' is REAL soft right now, the only person I see getting TOP dollar is Kirban! Now that begs the question, I bought my T in Feburary of 01 in Mass from the 2nd owner with a Documented (Carfax & orig. owners dealer recipts)62,000mi on it, and also the First owner was an elderly Gentelman who Garaged it always and had it 100% STOCK! The second owner, who I bought it from took it right to Cottons and had $2000.00 worth of work done, Rear main seal, Valve Springs, Trans service, THDP(not really nec. but OK), Complete 3" ATR Stainless exhaust, Headers Welded, Cottons tune up, etc.. And after inspecting the car, and talking to Jack about the car I thought it was WORTH his $12,000 asking price. So I did not even ****er and PAID IT. Now 2-1/2 years later I've put ~about $2000.00 into the car (New stock Rad, Translator, New EATON Posi, etc.) and I just turned 69,000mi. And I ALWAYS keep the car in the Car bubble in my Garage. So.... Could "I" get $12,000 for the T NOW??!!! I would like to, but with Todays Market I HIGHLY doubt it!!

Sorry fotr the rant, but my point is that the Market for our cars seems to have DROPPED in the last 2 years!!!

Thanks for the replies all. After I made a decision, this is how it worked out yesterday...
My dad does not want to see the car go. In his true procrastinating fashion, he didn't say anything until this buyer turned up. But now my dad's said he'd pay $10k for the car, unfortunately I have my doubts, but I made sure he understood if I cut this line off, I expect him to give me a check by summer's end. I don't know where he'll put it (he owns a house but rents it, his renters may or may not be getting evicted, he lives in a trailer) but Grandma's estate and perm. disability/pension is in the pipeline, so I'm thinking out of all that money he just may not hose me.

I called the guy and told him it turns out my dad would like to have the car, and he's offered me $10k. The guy and I left it at he'll call me if something changes, I'll call him if something changes, but if we don't hear from each other next week...

Now I just have a whole summer to sit and stew about whether I'll see a check.

Dhauser.... feel free to post some details, or if you ever list the car on LS1/LS2.com, I'll see it :) But depending on your timetable and motivation, I may be too far behind.