Selecting turbo

8kllr

I'm in process of replacing parts over winter
Was going to go with ta49 but was wondering what wlse would,work BB is an option id look at.
Heres where cars at

Unopened engine
42lb injectors,hot wire,asjustable regulator,home built alky,cold air intake,3" dp,no cat with dump,tt chip set for 21-23lbs which I can get to 19lbs before I get set. On scanmaster thinking I have exhaust leak on crossover will be corrected
Janice built trans,paperwork says 2600 stall,putting pipes 3" on now
Car has seen,flat 12's with et streets and race gas with dump unopened
May go to e85 in 2024 budget limited each year daughter is autistic so priority 1and worth every dime
Thank you for any advice and help

Go with TT e85 chip and 80lb injectors if e85 is available in your area before swapping turbos. What turbo do you have now?

I'm in process of replacing parts over winter
Was going to go with ta49 but was wondering what wlse would,work BB is an option id look at.
Heres where cars at

Unopened engine
42lb injectors,hot wire,asjustable regulator,home built alky,cold air intake,3" dp,no cat with dump,tt chip set for 21-23lbs which I can get to 19lbs before I get set. On scanmaster thinking I have exhaust leak on crossover will be corrected
Janice built trans,paperwork says 2600 stall,putting pipes 3" on now
Car has seen,flat 12's with et streets and race gas with dump unopened
May go to e85 in 2024 budget limited each year daughter is autistic so priority 1and worth every dime
Thank you for any advice and help
A couple of things to consider.
12 flat stock turbo car is pretty cool and is not a build that is risky or high $$.
Your stock turbo will also go faster if you turn the boost up.
You dont have enough stall at 2600 to really go bigger even with a 49.
You could double or triple bb in the 58 to 60mm range and try but I would like to see 3000+ on your combo.
The smaller turbos need to hammer the 60 and 330 (1.4/1.5) to really get an et that worth the money over what you are doing.stock turbo can go bottom 7s in the 1/8 but even with high boost it will lay over before the 1/4.the 49 is much better through the 1/4 but you will still need the 60 and 330.
Basically your not making it up on the backend.
This is where you really need to have an idea of how much power you want to make=that is how a turbo and its components (combo)is really chosen.

I also think you should get an alkycontrol kit and an rjc plate and turn the boost up on the stock turbo and nail the launch(focus on suspension)
You will go alot faster on the alky vs the race gas because it will cool the charge while adding fuel.
I've run them at 30psi like this.

Also if your concerned about $$ I would recommend you stay mid to high 11s with traps under 120mph.

I have a home built alky kit with a .030 jet but after about 19lbs it starts to give knock according to scanmaster.but I have an upstream,exhaust leak which will be fixed.so could,I go,with a bigger jet amd turn it up see where I'm at amd then do a BB turbo with stall i have I really want 11:50 out of it

I have a home built alky kit with a .030 jet but after about 19lbs it starts to give knock according to scanmaster.but I have an upstream,exhaust leak which will be fixed.so could,I go,with a bigger jet amd turn it up see where I'm at amd then do a BB turbo with stall i have I really want 11:50 out of it
I have done the nos jet and home built stuff as well
Alkycontrol is leaps and bounds and safer.
Having a jet size is one thing it's the pressure behind it that really matters😉
You will need a good pump and a good controller to ramp it in

Ok,so maybe ill do the alky control after exhaust system installed it runs 750 to 810 blm at 19lbs if I turn it up,more it drops quite a bit which I would think is in out of pressure for alky is my guess
I get that done see whats it is whats a good BB turbo to go with after that I can,launch at 4lbs minimal,spin after that up in smoke at the line
As everyone says that will be good enough but I'm saying bs I'll want to do heads and cam in future.built quite many sbc and bbc amd always said good enough and then added and changed

Ok,so maybe ill do the alky control after exhaust system installed it runs 750 to 810 blm at 19lbs if I turn it up,more it drops quite a bit which I would think is in out of pressure for alky is my guess
I get that done see whats it is whats a good BB turbo to go with after that I can,launch at 4lbs minimal,spin after that up in smoke at the line
As everyone says that will be good enough but I'm saying bs I'll want to do heads and cam in future.built quite many sbc and bbc amd always said good enough and then added and changed
That's a huge mv swing
No good
You need to look at pump pressure
And with the alkycontrol kit and McMaster carr nozzle the atomization is better.
Much cheaper than a motor😉
Leave the motor alone if you want the 11.5😉
Just have good springs and chain.
Get your 60ft in the low 1.5s

Put boost into it and tune it!
Having ported head and a slightly bigger cam lowers the overall boost number but that's a waste of money when you can just raise the boost and run just as fast with a higher boost number.
Plenty of stock motor combos out there that have been mid 11s.
Some have been there and faster even on a stock turbo stock motor combo
The pistons are the limitation in the stock motor.
And you dont create enough cylinder pressure right now or at 11.5 power range to hurt them with a good tune.

Ok,I'll do the alky control unit
Or should I just e85 I would guess costs are about the same.sorry just doing reading on here and seeing a lot if e85 recommends over alky

When the converter is too tight and the rear brakes aren't set up to hold the car you will have low boost launches and bad 60fts😉

Ok,I'll do the alky control unit
Or should I just e85 I would guess costs are about the same.sorry just doing reading on here and seeing a lot if e85 recommends over alky
The cost are not same not even close.
And the fastest stock turbo stock motor combo was on pump gas 93 and alkycontrol.
Research ed brewer

Ok,alky control Iol.i am going through brake and basics a buddy has a set of tubular lower control arms off his Monte Carlo I'm getting did,the f41 bars up front new body mounts rear seat brace .just little by little tightening car for,a,good base now doung,other stuff as what I'm asking about
I,am overly appreciative of knowledge and help from all of you I,want this 1 to be the faste 1 i have an 87 gn slowly restoring will be just a cruiser
And im sure ill need advice also through the restoration

A wideband o2 is a cheap and worthwhile tuning investment. I would max out the stock turbo before deciding to upgrade.

Stock unopened longblock... you will want to update the valve springs and do a rollmaster timing set with an IWIS chain if you are going to keep racing it. Going mid 11's on your setup is very good, you are getting results!

ENJOY!!!
- Jerry