Seeking Info On Radiators & Auxiliary Trans/Oil Coolers...

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I know this topic has been discussed before, but without the search feature functioning, I am unable to locate the information.

Looking for advice on combinations, set-up & mounting of radiator & auxiliary coolers for engine oil cooling & transmission cooling. I have an RJC FMIC & would like to improve the cooling capacity to try to keep the coolant temperature as close to 160 degrees in 100-120+ degree ambient temperatures with the A/C running. I was thinking of trying to mount a separate cooler for both the engine oil & the trans oil before the fluids reach the radiator mounted coolers.

Any recommendations on radiator, cooler selection, mounting locations & plumbing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

,,,,,,,,,, I have an RJC FMIC & would like to improve the cooling capacity to try to keep the coolant temperature as close to 160 degrees in 100-120+ degree ambient temperatures with the A/C running.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you have a GN with a bunch of mods and a FMIC and expect to be 160 degrees at 120+, you are on the wrong planet?

With a FMIC at 105 deg. or so you might see 190 as a normal coolant temp, at 110 ambient and beyond you will be well above 200 deg. with dual fans, a damn good radiator and cruising, not in stop-and-go traffic.

A stock GN here in the summer temps above 110 deg. will barely be comfortable for us, but out-of-towners like from CA, it is dreadful for them. :)

Nick, I appreciate your reply & information. I don't know what realistic expectations are for the cooling system & operating temperature. My current location sometimes hits 100 degrees, but I grew up with 120 degree summers. With that background, I try to over build cooling systems so there is plenty of reserve capacity. I've often heard that ATF should not exceed 160 degrees to optimize automatic transmission lifespan.

How much do separate auxiliary coolers for both engine oil cooling & transmission cooling benefit the radiators cooling capacity?

Am I correct to think that the heated fluids should circulate through the auxiliary coolers prior to entering the radiator mounted coolers?

Is there an engine oil/trans fluid 2-in-1 unit that is worth consideration?

What about the mounting of the coolers? Would mounting between the FMIC & the radiator negatively impact the operation of the A/C & radiator?

Should I consider fluid coolers that have their own thermostatically controlled electric fan?

What brand & type of coolers do you recommend?

Anyone else like to comment on the type of cooling system components, modifications, cooler mounting, etc? Pictures are always welcome.

Thank you

Last edited:
Nick is dead on... I'm in TX with summers in the triple digits. I have the Radco rad G Body dual fans but I run a Precision SLIC and with AC on and say temps 105 I run 180-190.

Anyone have any recommendations on an auxiliary transmission cooler & how to mount it?

Been searching & reading several old posts. Looks like I want a LPD (Low Pressure Drop) type of cooler. What brand, size or GVW rating should I look for?

Any vendors out there that have a kit?

Thank you

I have a rjc FMIC ,alradco radiator,dual fan,9.5 PTC with a sprag.
I installed a Dayco with the electric fan after the radiator cooler.The Dayco has a temp switch that comes on @ 180 i believe.I never gauged the temps, so i can only go by when the fan would kick on.
That would be after a WOT blast or really beating on her, long uphill pulls.
I ended up putting an old fashoined trans cooler in front of condensor, behind the Intercooler.
trans to radiator to old style cooler to dayco and Back trans.
Seems like alot but after the money i spent on trans,convertor, etc, it was piece of mind.
The dayco has only come on once or twice since the last cooler was added.Im satified now.
My Dayco is kind of large, i have alky pump and ballasts for HID's, so mounting it under front wasnt going to work.
I ended up mounting it on the lip of the front of fuel tank.Its almost like it was made for it.
I also have the rear end girdle which clears the cooler perfectly
If you would like pics of the install let me know.

I have the RJC IC-325
ALRADCO radiator, shroud & the hybrid dual fan system showed up today.
New oil cooler lines from Highway Stars are on the way.

Trying to lay down the cooling foundation for more horsepower & I'd like to do everything in one shot.

Pics would be cool if its convenient.

Thanks

Last edited:
These are some pics of the location.You can see the lip it lays on.This isnt the final but you get the idea .

Attachments

• 1404255959971.jpg
    1404255959971.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 1404255967380.jpg
    1404255967380.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 1404344239117.jpg
    1404344239117.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 1404344261719.jpg
    1404344261719.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 1404580990153.jpg
    1404580990153.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 256
I took the easy route. I called David Husek & now have a 30K GVW Hayden trans cooler headed this way.

Real nice guy & very informative.

Thanks everyone

Seemed like the best value on a heavy duty cooler & a great vendor.

You sure can spend some money on the various cooling systems for these cars.

I've had 2 engine builders tell me not to use an engine oil cooler at all. The 2nd one did mention oil temp would be slightly lower on roller cams. My 1st build was not a roller & he still suggested it, but I live in the mid-west & 100+ days are not a all summer thing here.

At this time I plan on only using the radiator mounted engine oil cooler.

I believe that the engine oil should exceed 212 degrees so that it can cook off any condensation that might accumulate. I was originally thinking to mount coolers prior to the radiator to remove heat before impacting the radiator & engine coolant temperature. I have since been advised against that idea.

Thanks

Well... Today was the day for the big cooling upgrades.

ALRADCO aluminum finish radiator
ALRADCO hybrid dual fan & black shroud assembly
Hayden 30K GVW auxiliary tranny cooler
Highway Stars reproduction engine oil cooler lines

Damn near took me all day! Had to remove my RJC FMIC to mount the tranny cooler. Mounting the trans cooler was the most difficult part. I used these 1/2" rubber insulated steel clamps to mount the cooler to the X-brace in the radiator opening. You can pick these clamps up at Home Depot.

clamp.jpg

I originally mounted the trans cooler to the front side of the X-brace. This location interfered with the RJC IC-325 FMIC. So... Had to start over & mount the cooler on the back side of the X-brace towards the AC condenser with 3 of the 1/2" clamps shown. This places the cooler real close to the AC condenser, but there is just a slight bit of clearance between them. Mounting the trans cooler was the most difficult & time consuming part of the job. After that, everything else went together fairly smoothly. There is a bit of interference, or lack of clearance, between the fan/shroud assembly & the FMIC tubes. (If you are running an FMIC, you definitely want to consider the ALRADCO "hybrid" dual fan/shroud assembly)
I was able to line up the IC tubes real well during the original IC installation. For some reason the tubes are not cooperating as well this time around. I was running late & beginning to grow tired of the project, so I wrapped it up for the day. I will fill the radiator with de-stilled water & RMI-25 tomorrow. Then fire it up & look for any leaks. Hopefully all will be well. I'm not looking forward to having to service the auxiliary tranny cooler for any reason. Real PITA to drop the FMIC & reach up from the bottom to get at the trans cooler.

I used a light coating of ARP PTFE thread paste ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-9904/overview/ ) on the threaded fittings for each end of the new oil cooler lines & for the brass 90 degree threaded to hose barb fittings that were thread into the radiator mounted trans cooler ports. Hopefully this paste will prevent any potential leaks and/or galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals.

I have a tip for anyone who swaps out their OEM radiator & fan assembly for the ALRADCO radiator & fan/shroud assembly.

When you have everything installed & you are trying to remember where the 2 left over black self tapping screws go... Don't drive yourself nuts. They go back into the lower mounts of the OEM fan shroud. :confused: :facepalm: :shame: :LOL:

How did your new setup turn out?

So far, so good.

Hasn't been very hot outside yet. Only about 80 to 90 degrees. My A/C leaked enough freon over the winter that the compressor clutch won't engage now. That's next on the fix it list.

Engine coolant temperature cycles between 160 to about mid 170's.