SCCA Street Prepared Rules Discussion

BuickMike231

60% of the time, it works every time.
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading of the rules for this class lately and doing a lot of thinking as well. I wanted to throw this out to you guys to discuss and share some throughs and opinions on this. For events like the Good Guys autox there really are no rules outside of 200 tread wear tires, but SCCA classes are much more restrictive.

So in a nutshell, the major allowable mods in Street Prepared (ESP in the GN's case) are as follows:
Wheels and tires are unlimited, along with fender modification to make them fit. Full replacement is not allowed.

Sway bars front and rear are unlimited.

Shocks and springs/coilovers are allowed assuming they mount using stock holes. To my understanding the RideTech Coilovers and brackets are legal as they mount to stock holes.

Bushings are unlimited with the exception of full metal.

Rear upper control arms can be modified/ swapped but lowers can't be touched.

Not 100% on front control arms but pretty sure they are not allowed to be changed.

Torques convertors upgrades are allowed for automatics.

Ignition system is unrestricted.

Any fuel injectors are allowed, along with FPR.

Intake manifold is allowed to be upgraded.

Exhaust manifolds/headers are allowed to be upgraded.

And lots of other minor things but that is the quick general overview off the top of my head. This class is typically all Camaro/Firebird and mustang, with the occasional WRX due to classing.

My plans are to build my car to a point where it can be competitive nationally and go to the finals at some point, so I'm planning out the next steps.

Next major step is sway bars and wheels/ tires. Since this class does allow the use of slicks I will have to go to Hoosier A6s to be competitive nationally, which I'm ok with.

Now here's where I think it gets interesting. The v8 guys have to do headers and intakes to get the most out of their engines, where we shouldn't have to touch those for the levels we are dealing with. I've been thinking of doing a lightly upgraded converter to A) help shed some weight and B) increase the responsiveness of the car. Along with that I've been thinking that the new TR6 ignition could be a cool way to go too, not only getting a better ignition system but the two step as well.

Now let me clear something up too, local events are all slow starts where you really can't launch hard. But all SCCA national events have a drag start with a tree and everything, even have a car staged next to you, there are two mirrored courses next to each other. The two cars launch and try to get the holeshot, and then peel off in opposite directions, for their own course. It's a race against the clock, and the other car!

This got me thinking a properly set up GN could probably launch harder than any F body or Mustang since those aren't going to be set up for drag. What's your opinions on the convertor and TR6 combo for being a sneaky way to blast people off the line? The two step is legal also I should mention.

Any other ideas that you guys have? Can't go real crazy with weight savings as most are not legal in this class. I think it'd be fun to show up to nationals in a Buick and ruin a few peoples days!

Let me know what you think and sorry for the long post!

intresting, what about brake upgrades? i see you have SSBC gear on the front are upgrade to like the baer systems allowed or do they bump you into a different class?

Good question, i forgot to mention that. Brakes are pretty much wide open. Rear disc upgrades are allowed as well.

When I ran ASP in my Z06, it was anything goes, that is what the SP is for. I had to run against a lotus that was lower than my vette and got beat by it. Gonna have to do a lot to get the Buick competitive with the stock suspension in a SP class, and learn the course and don't feed the cones!

i plan on giving autocross a try when i finish mine, used ridetech coilovers front and rear with thier control arms up front and some dse sway bars i had from onothe car. also have baers front and rear and 17 inch wheels, need ot get some tire thou that will come after holiday season.