SCAM ALERT!

Jonasterg

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I'm doing some spring cleaning and started removing the old fuel filter to put in a new one. I opened the line on the engine side of the filter and let it drain slowly into a gas canister. Came back an hour later and it's still coming out... looks like I've already drained a gallon or so.

How much fuel is in the lines? Is there a better way to do this without spilling gas everywhere? Could it be coming from the tank somehow?

(I don't remember this problem last time around.)

It can siphon the whole tank. Also if there is vapor pressure built up it will force it out with a bit more ooomph. I always loosen the gas cap to release pressure. Just work quickly and get the new one in.

Thanks for the info. I'll work faster and keep some rags handy.

Correlate it with something you already know.

-Take a glass of water.
-Take a hose and suck on it.
-Put the other end out on the table. (You know the story)

-Now, take a fuel line that's sealed, close to the bottom of a tank, and filled with fuel.
-Break the seal in the line, at the filter . . . .
-If the tank is full, it could easily flow a few gallons before it quits.

But, all leaks stop eventually. LOL

Hahaha it makes sense... For some reason I figured fuel wouldn't move past the pump unless it was on, didn't realize it was so free flowing.

Lesson learned!

Another lesson - take off the tank-side line first, so I can plug it up and stop the flow. Then I can take my time with the rest of the job.

If I plan on changing the filter I do it in the spring before driving and don't start the car a couple weeks before. Almost always just get what's in the filter and a tad more since the pressure has bled off. Always wrapped the the fittings with thread tape since they always seem to have a very slight drip if not done.

Quick update, finally got around to doing the job earlier today. Disconnected the tank-side first, and slipped a latex glove over the end of the fuel line and secured it with a zip tie. This stopped the flow and gave me plenty of time to do the rest of the job carefully, including swapping out the fuel filter bracket, cleaning the threads and adding a some anti-seize, and installing one of the two o-rings carefully (other o-ring had to wait until the glove came off the line). Less than an hour from start to finish, and that's only because I'm a novice and was being careful.

Fuel wanted to flow from the tank no matter what I tried. I vented the cap beforehand, tried to jack up the front of the car to get gravity in my favor, but no dice. Maybe the tank was just too full (more than 3/4ths). Next time around I'll run it very low before doing this job.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Appreciate your patience while I'm re-learning.