SC 3800 Series II(L67) vs Series III(L32)

MCH86GN

I think I have the correct engine ID for the SC SII and SIII.

If you had the option to buy a SC 3800 Grand Prix, all other things being equal e.g. mileage, which car would you get, the one with SII engine or SIII engine? Right now, there are a couple for sale in my area. They both have the same amount of wear and tear, in pretty good shape all in all at ~100k miles.

This car would be for my son and he would want to modify it and I have heard the SII block is stronger and/or more durable. I haven't done a lot of research, but I've heard the SII is easier to modify, due to mechanical throttle control as opposed to ETC for for SIII.

Only difference between the s2&3 is that the s3 has the powder forged rods, Heads have a very slightly larger intake valve and there's a few extra sensors through out the engine. Blocks are basically the same in fact for a year or so there were the better rods in the s2. So really doesn't matter which long block you get if your buying for a project . Just a set of used rods that might be ok up to 500hp. But the l67 rods people swear by too. All intakes swap out so it up to you how you want to build

Only difference between the s2&3 is that the s3 has the powder forged rods, Heads have a very slightly larger intake valve and there's a few extra sensors through out the engine. Blocks are basically the same in fact for a year or so there were the better rods in the s2. So really doesn't matter which long block you get if your buying for a project . Just a set of used rods that might be ok up to 500hp. But the l67 rods people swear by too. All intakes swap out so it up to you how you want to build
Thanks. As it turns out my son is the one who wants a Camaro or Firebird, which has the S2 block but the NA internals. However, I like the Camaro/Firebird intake. I'm looking at a Camaro, I believe 1998 or later. Should I buy, my son would drive it for the time being, but eventually we would pull the engine and put forged internals in it and hopefully turbo charge it. I'm pretty the automatic already comes with 4l60e, if not I my be able to use the one out of my S10. Then we would need to beef the rear end. I would start out slow for my son, I wouldn't want him driving a 10sec car as a daily driver.

Then we would like to build the block with S2 or s3 connecting rods and aftermarket pistons. As a side note, I guy I work with is giving me a S2 short block out of a 98 SC Regal.

The short block your getting is nearly identical with the one in the Camaro. Read my 3800 thread and the 3800 Gn thread . I'm building a high end short block right now . Should be done soon. 98 Camaro would work real well . Get that extra short block and build it with some nice rods and Pistons and you'll be good to go.

The short block your getting is nearly identical with the one in the Camaro. Read my 3800 thread and the 3800 Gn thread . I'm building a high end short block right now . Should be done soon. 98 Camaro would work real well . Get that extra short block and build it with some nice rods and Pistons and you'll be good to go.
What about the crank between NA and SC blocks, are they the same?

I know a few guys running over 800rwh in Australia with stick crank only alternative is to go "come" billet

I know a few guys running over 800rwh in Australia with stick crank only alternative is to go "come" billet
I doubt I will be at that power level. Remember this car is for my son. Maybe around 400rwhp and if he gets comfortable, perhaps 500. This will be his daily driver. Then again, I might use it for my daily driver and let him use my Cruze.
We still need to buy the car Camaro/Firebird. There are several in my area that are going for around $3k. I need read your threads so I get the correct model year. I believe 98 or later will work.

98 is the last year of drive by cable . Keep that in mind if your if your going down that route.

Last edited:
98 is the last year of drive by cable . Keep that in mind if your if your going down that rought.
Ok, but for MY prior to 98, are they still tunable? So after 98, electronic throttle control was incorporated or other drive by wire features?

There all tune able. For the 98 there's less tables than latter 99 and up but it's better I feel than trying to make the drive by wire work. Ho tuner will tune either. There are many ways you can make the 3800 go. Just depends what your goal is.

There all tune able. For the 98 there's less tables than latter 99 and up but it's better I feel than trying to make the drive by wire work. Ho tuner will tune either. There are many ways you can make the 3800 go. Just depends what your goal is.
Going to look at several 98 Camaros/Firebirds this weekend. This is step. Buy a running car in decent condition.

Thanks for you help.