Sarah and Patrick go to Bowling Green

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF SECRETS
Staff member
Ok, first let me warn everyone as this might get a little long winded. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

Monday evening I load up the car and we head out. Me and Sarah (my '87 Turbo T for those who don't know :D ) Everything is going smoothly until just outside of Indy when I look up in the rear view mirror and see a Blue Chevy Astro Van tail grabbin my a-- with a vengeance. Luckily I had power under foot or else my trip to BG would have ended right then and there on I-65. I was cruising along at 55 and the van was going at least 90. I punched the gas, 25psi on 100 unleaded and accelerate quick enough to keep this stupid lady in her van from running over me. I pull over to the right and slowed down. She speeds by with what looked like her estranged husband/boyfriend on her bumper chasing her in a Chevy full size truck. I almost called the Hwy Patrol on them as they were really weaving in and out of traffic endangering us all, but they took the next exit and sped away. Close call for sure. When it was over, a trucker that witnessed it all pulled up along side of me and gave me a big thumbs up.
We made it to Bowling Green without any more trouble and managed to get 27 mpg. I was shocked!!! I never imagined I would get that kind of mileage out of 60# Mototron injectors. Eric at TT, you are the man with this chip. I love it.

Tuesday.
Get to the track, get my spot under the tent, unload the car with all my junk. Tires, jack, tool box, grocery bag full of goodies, sunshade, you know, everything I could think of that I would need, 3 jugs of race gas, air tank etc, etc. Steve Stankus (SMS) helps me swap tires, drain the tank of pump gas and pour in 5 gallons of C-16, set air bag pressures, 7psi left, 27psi right. Tire pressure always set at 11psi cold. Steve really helped me out Tuesday through Thursday. Thanks Steve, I really appreciate all your help.

1st pass
Boost set to 27psi, fp set to 41psi (didn't know it at the time) timing on 27* 1st & 2nd, 27.1* 3rd & 4th, 1st gear fuel -9.4%, WOT fuel +17.2%. Foot brake launch on 4psi.
1.71 60ft, 7.70 @ 90.24 1/8th, 12.06 @ 113.14, .586 O2 Zero KR. Hmm, O2 must be going south already.

2nd pass
Boost 27psi, fp still at 41psi, timing the same, 1st gear fuel the same, WOT fuel + 18.8% just to be safe. Foot brake launch on 5psi.
1.73 60ft, 7.68 @ 90.85 1/8th, 12.01 @ 113.65, .780 O2 Zero KR. She's not hooking up.

3rd pass
Boost 27psi, fp 41psi, timing in 1st & 2nd up to 28.1*, 3rd & 4th 27.1*, 1st gear fuelset to -9.4%, WOT fuel at +18.8%. E-brake launch on 11psi. Spin city.
1.84 60ft, 7.77 @ 91.29 1/8th, 12.11 @ 112.78, .765 O2 Zero KR. Still not hooking up, just spinning badly and porposing a little bit.

Hmmm, gotta do something about this hooking up thing before I go any further.

Wednesday
Stop by Autozone and pick up some El Cheepo OEM replacement Gabriel rear shocks for $14.99 each and a roll of shop towels. We get to the track and the first thing I did was to change the fuel filter. Then I removed the old school air shocks and installed the Gabriels.

1st pass
Boost 27psi, fp 41psi, 1st & 2nd timing 27.7*, 3rd & 4th 27.5*, 1st fuel -9.4%, WOT fuel +12.5% thinking she might be running too rich up top. Air bag pressures the same. Foot brake launch on 5psi.
1.69 60ft, 7.58 @ 91.62 1/8th, 11.90 @ 113.20, .712 O2, 4.2 KR (right off the line as I mistakenly locked up the converter as soon as I launched) DOH!
But hey!! The 60ft is starting to show promise with only a shock change. I like that.

2nd pass
Boost turned up to 29psi WOOOHOO here we go. I checked fuel pressure and hey whattya know, it's too low. Turn it up to 44psi. Timing same, 1st gear fuel turned to -10.9%, WOT fuel + 14.1% and decided to let my Hot Shoe driver Dave Fiscus make a pass. (He weighs about 160#s less that I do) I rode with him up to the staging lanes and before I got out, I told him she was going to run a 11.70 pass. He foot brake launched at 5psi.
1.70 60ft, 7.46 @ 93.20 1/8th, 11.72 @ 114.55, .781 O2, Zero KR. Alright!!!! Good clean pass and she was honking!!!

3rd pass
Boost 29psi, fp 44psi, timing same, 1st gear fuel same, WOT fuel +10.9%, foot brake launch at 5psi.
1.67 60ft, 7.48 @ 92.39 1/8th, 11.77 @ 114.17, .757 O2, 2.3 KR. Hmmm, she ran good even with me driving. The good news was she was starting to hook much better.

Thursday, I decided to try something different, namely turn the boost down and the timing up.

1st pass
Boost 24psi, fp 44psi, 1st & 2nd timing 29.1*, 3rd & 4th 28.9*, 1st gear fuel -10.9%, WOT fuel +10.9%, E-brake launch on 11psi, again, spun really bad.
1.75 60ft, 7.74 @ 88.99 1/8th, 12.19 @ 110.57, .780 O2, Zero KR. Man that pass sucked.

2nd pass
Boost back at 29psi, fp 44psi, timing turned back to 27.7* & 27.5*, 1st gear fuel same, WOT fuel +12.5%. Foot brake launch 7psi.
1.72 60ft, 7.59 @ 92.01 1/8th, 11.92 @ 113.35, .761 O2, 0.2 KR when I locked up the converter. Ok, back to basics pass.

I purchased a 1 3/8" rear sway bar from Full Throttle and Steve helped me install it.

3rd pass
Boost 29psi, fp 44psi, timing same, 1st gear fuel same, WOT fuel same. Foot brake launch on 6psi.
1.67 60ft, 7.48 @ 92.98 1/8th, 11.75 @ 114.65. .714 O2, 0.9 KR. So far, my best pass to date. I was very pleased.

Friday came along and I had a talk with Sarah while I was swapping out the O2 sensor. I told her I only wanted to make 4 more passes and that was it. Then we could go home. She smiled at me.
Poured in some gas and was ready for 1st round qualifying. I decided I wanted to try to cut a light as I'm kinda rusty on a .400 pro tree.

1st qual pass
Boost 29psi, fp 44psi, timing same, 1st gear fuel -11.7%, WOT fuel +13.3% launched by stomping the gas when the lights flashed. Only left with 2psi.
1.89 60ft, 7.81 @ 92.65 1/8th, 12.07 @ 115.28. .769 O2, 0.7 KR. Hey Hey!!! Look at that mph, sweet a new record. I cut a pathetic WJ like .374 light but at least I was in the show. (12.20 to qualify) Made it to the scales and weighed her for the first time all week. HOLY CRAP!!!! 3800# with driver!!!! AHHHHH HAAAA!!! Gotta work on that. 3500# is legal weight.

2nd qual pass
Boost, timing & fp were same, 1st gear fuel -13.3%, WOT fuel up to +14.1%, I didn't care about cutting a light I wanted to leave on some boost. Foot brake launch on 8psi. L/U converter when she shifts to 3rd. (what I've been doing since I fubared the 1st pass on Wed)
1.68 60ft, 7.50 @ 92.75 1/8th, 11.78 @ 114.24, .781 O2, Zero KR. Very smooth and respectable pass.

3rd qual pass
Boost, timing, fp and 1st gear fuel were same, WOT fuel turned down one number to +13.3%. E-brake launch on 12psi, spun really bad.
1.75 60ft, 7.55 @ 93.05 1/8th, 11.82 @ 114.87, .753 O2, Zero KR.
Ok, these tires won't take E-brake launches unless I install the HR rear bars I picked up on Wed.
Don (d0n_3d) finally shows up and gets to see this pass. We load up and head out to throw down on some Chik-fil-a. Good stuff.

Saturday comes along and before we know it, it's time to race. I was paired up against the White T that qualified with a 10.29. The only chance I stood was to try to cut a light and maybe I would get lucky and he would sleep a little bit. Maybe....

1st round Eliminations.

Boost, timing, fp same, 1st gear fuel -14.8%, WOT fuel +13.3%.
I'm in the left lane... I bump the first bulb, he bumps in.......
I bump the second bulb and as soon as he bumps his 2nd bulb I floor it.
She only built 2psi before the lights flashed. I released the brake as soon as I saw them flash.

Left ---- Right
R/T -.185 ---- 1.025
60' 1.880 ---- 2.075
330 5.147 ---- 5.034
1/8 7.820 ---- 7.397
MPH 92.33 ---- 105.38
1000 10.127 ---- 9.408
1/4 12.081 ---- WIN>> 11.085
MPH 115.33---- 135.37

Left 1st .2145
foul

I did the best I could, if only that -.185 could have been a .00_ it would have been very close as he didn't catch me until about 100 ft pass the finish line. Ahh well, that's racing. .753 O2, 0.7 KR.

Time to go watch some racing. Even after 10 passes and some playing around on the streets, Sarah was running like a Swiss Army watch. Perfectly.
Packed everything up, Don helped me swap out tires and pack. Thanks Don, I appreciate the help and support.
All in all, I got to meet a lot of new people from the board, as well as see a lot of my old friends. I got to watch my boy Dave Fiscus run Aaron driving my old car with mixed emotions. The weather was the best weather I have ever witnessed in all of my years of going to Bowling Green. Absolutely perfect. Here are a few pics I took of the week.

Sarahatrest.jpg

Sarahssmile.jpg

Sarahattech2.jpg

FiscusLaz.jpg

CramerKerneyCramer.jpg

RUattech.jpg

DaPumpkin.jpg

Peertech.jpg

emblem.jpg

We all went to Rafertys after the race and had great food. Got to sleep in and had a very relaxing and enjoyable drive home. Sarah averaged 29mpg coming home WOW!!! Must have been that semi fresh O2 sensor.
I would like to say Thanks to Billy T for selling me his spot under the tent. Laz for the morale support and advice, Steve Stankus for helping turn wrenches when needed. He scored a super sweet '86 Limited btw. Thanks to Don for all the help and support. My buddy Dave and Natalie Fiscus and family for all the food and drink during the week, as well as the hospitality. Dick Kerney for his help, golf cart usage and lending me storage spots during the week and Team Harmon for the jack stand usage. Cal and Holly for the Hartline sticker and for the tent rental opportunity. Sticker is still on the car and will be there for awhile.
I had a blast at this years GS Nationals. I learned a lot about what Sarah likes and doesn't like. And most importantly what direction I need to go to in order to reach my goals of 11.40s - 11.30s. It was great to meet all of you who came over and said hello. I can't wait to go back next year.
Welp, that's my story, sorry so long and Thanks for reading.

Patrick

Patrick congratulations on the new best.
Please feel free to post when ever you like.
I make sure that I read every one of your post that I see.

Missed you Patrick !

I see Mr. Fiscus is hanging around some bad company again ;) Good job !
Thanks for sharing a great story (as usual) and some great pctures.:)
Be well !

Well let's see.
Gotta do something about the weight for sure. I'm gonna put both of us on a diet. I have an RJC crank pulley to install and some H&R Parts rear lower control arms. Oh, you mean big power parts. LOL :D

Not sure as of yet, but I have a feeling a 6776RH is not far down the road, along with one of Razors Alky kits, a larger cold air kit along with an IAC angle boss, Power Logger and possibly a reburned TT chip. Might have to change out the converter as well, but I'll see how it spools with the current one first. (Coan 10" 3k L/U)

I basically had to max this poor turbo out just to run 115 and it's probably got a lot of people confused. :confused: However, here's the math.
115 mph at 3810#s is roughly 480 - 490 fwhp, at 7% drivetrain loss this works out to around 446 - 455 rwhp.

To reach my goals of reliable 11.40 - 11.30s at 118 - 119 at my current race weight, we need to pickup another 50rwhp. The only way I can see doing this without going into the motor is with a larger turbo, as no one part can do this unless you're talking N2O and I'd never do that. A 6776RH turbo at around 24psi should get the job done and not be to harsh on the motor. Once those things are done, then I'll work on taking out weight, maybe a set of lighter wheels, eventho Dave will shoot me if I take off the stockers. Maybe a fiberglass front bumper painted body color and some aluminum bumper struts. Take out the sound deadening material under the back seat and the rear seat belts for sure. Then work on the brakes more. Gotta be able to foot brake at least 10psi without fear of pushing through the lights.

I know what you're all thinking, he's loosing it again. I will admit my case of GFI is acting up again. I'm gonna have to blame it on Don after going for a ride in his car this past Friday night. That's one fast street car you got there bro. But what the heck, we only go around once, so why not have some fun.
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'd like to congratulate Jason White on running a new best time on his Semi final pass. Good job Jason, you're car is flying. I had a blast, but there was just one thing missing that would have made the trip perfect, getting to see Roy. We missed ya Boost.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just keep chipping away at my goal.

Patrick

Patrick the way I figure it you are making 588FWHP.
There is no way you are only getting 7% drive train loss IMHO.
You are probably dropping more than that through your converter than that.
I better figure for an auto is 18-20%...

Great seeing you again Pat. Hollar sometime when you come back down to MS. Love Sarah, makes me really get the itch of getting one of my cars back on the road. Later.
John

I'd like to congratulate Jason White on running a new best time on his Semi final pass. Good job Jason, you're car is flying.

Patrick

Thanks man. Even though I lost in that round, I was so pumped from the ride it didn't matter that much..

Budget TSM racing at it's best... ;)

Patrick give a new meaning to methodical (spelling?) tuning. I know what converter to get if you are looking to get a new one!
Jason, it was nice seeing you again and congrats on the new best time.
Damon

Patrick give a new meaning to methodical (spelling?) tuning. I know what converter to get if you are looking to get a new one!
Jason, it was nice seeing you again and congrats on the new best time.
Damon

Are you talking about a PTC from Dusty???

Are you talking about a PTC from Dusty???

Yes, it is the best converter I've had. Dusty really nailed it on the converter. He said it may be a little tight, buy it's perfect. Otto had good luck with the one he got from Dusty, also.

I will admit my case of GFI is acting up again. I'm gonna have to blame it on Don after going for a ride in his car this past Friday night. That's one fast street car you got there bro. But what the heck, we only go around once, so why not have some fun.

Yes I can attest that I am not helping matters much. After 1 full year, I finally have my car running right again. Just to let you know I was not able to go full throttle even on 104 octane on the way home because my boost is spiking to 26-27 psi with the wastegate rod turned all the way down. Yeah I know what you are thinking...DAMN! All I can say is the 67 Ptrim ball bearing is my new favorite turbo. This thing is ridiculous on the street.

I forgot to mention also I caught up to a parade of 3 GN's and 2 trailored GS's on the way home on I-65. I caught them just north of Lafayette and stayed with them until I got off on my exit in Merrillville. If you guys were in this parade, let's hear from ya! Cool cars:D

Here's some pics of my car...I haven't taken many in the past year so enjoy!

http://a234.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/28/l_c99185da0f8c5e45d945c85ed5204a39.jpg
http://a523.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/25/l_e9c36b13aa5a638c058413e217e05d8a.jpg
http://a819.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/7/l_99786a6c607077b133dba29beff464c2.jpg
http://a533.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/48/l_463bde38a9174a5d434bf561ddfbd794.jpg
http://a340.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/l_8e3c5e5f46c5c0289c5b65f0d49ce203.jpg
http://a895.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/59/l_7475d18c8de1916a266df48276223ff6.jpg

Yes I can attest that I am not helping matters much. After 1 full year, I finally have my car running right again. Just to let you know I was not able to go full throttle even on 104 octane on the way home because my boost is spiking to 26-27 psi with the wastegate rod turned all the way down. Yeah I know what you are thinking...DAMN! All I can say is the 67 Ptrim ball bearing is my new favorite turbo. This thing is ridiculous on the street.

]

Don,

Why did you choose the H cover with the Ported Shroud???
I was looking at the 6776RH and was wondering what advantage
the PS would have with our motors?

Thanks in advance...

Don,

Why did you choose the H cover with the Ported Shroud???
I was looking at the 6776RH and was wondering what advantage
the PS would have with our motors?

Thanks in advance...

Because 1. I wanted a turbo that made a lot of noise on the street and this cover definitely helps makes noise...under light acceleration this car sounds like a Boeing carting around the runway:D :D :D

2. It doesn't hurt to have anti-surge protection on ANY motor. This turbo is more than capable of producing more horsepower than the stock bottom end can handle...thus it helps to have a surge cover when the motor is not taking in all the airflow the turbo is putting out...especially on a street car.

Not sure as of yet, but I have a feeling a 6776RH is not far down the road, along with one of Razors Alky kits, a larger cold air kit along with an IAC angle boss, Power Logger and possibly a reburned TT chip. Might have to change out the converter as well, but I'll see how it spools with the current one first. (Coan 10" 3k L/U)

Patrick

Hey Patrick,
You should add a Wide band O2 to that list too. ;) You can get the Innovative LC1 from Full Throttle for $200 and log actual A/F on the powerlogger. :cool:

Funny you should say that.
I already have one, just haven't had time to install it. It's the XD-16 gauge kit with the sensor.

Patrick

Good deal. :cool: I was suprised when I had mine up and running how wide of a range of O2 counts I saw compared to what the WB02 was reading.

Hey Patrick i had a blast and would not have missed it for the world your the best staying there reminded me of the old days at the travel lodge.I will be in indy visiting our friend OC Cantrell so if you wanna hit the outback or ocharleys hit a brother on da cell . I heard theres rooster sightings so becareful .