Same upgrades or has things changed

tiresmoke

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on a turbo hydramatic 350 to 2004r swap. I did a swap like this in 1997 on a 1970 Skylark 350, since then sold.
I now recently purchased another 1970 Skylark 350 Custom with 3:73 gears and I'm going to do the same swap for the Overdrive benefit. When I did the first swap in '97 I used a 200r4 that was from a turbo regal (I think a BRQ). Not too many people where doing them, so info was a little harder to find but I was advised by 2004r guy from GS club back then to replace the input shaft, go to a 10 vein pump and higher pump pressure spring, the lockout was manually controlled. I did that and drove car and even raced it a few times for several years with no problems before selling it in 2009. So my question now is, I currently have a (KTF) 2004r to replace the turbo 350. What would now be recommended for upgrades to this transmission before making the swap? This car will be mostly street driven but sometimes it may some full throttle runs.
Thanks in advance for help on this subject.

Might get better views in the transmission section.

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on a turbo hydramatic 350 to 2004r swap. I did a swap like this in 1997 on a 1970 Skylark 350, since then sold.
I now recently purchased another 1970 Skylark 350 Custom with 3:73 gears and I'm going to do the same swap for the Overdrive benefit. When I did the first swap in '97 I used a 200r4 that was from a turbo regal (I think a BRQ). Not too many people where doing them, so info was a little harder to find but I was advised by 2004r guy from GS club back then to replace the input shaft, go to a 10 vein pump and higher pump pressure spring, the lockout was manually controlled. I did that and drove car and even raced it a few times for several years with no problems before selling it in 2009. So my question now is, I currently have a (KTF) 2004r to replace the turbo 350. What would now be recommended for upgrades to this transmission before making the swap? This car will be mostly street driven but sometimes it may some full throttle runs.
Thanks in advance for help on this subject.
Reach out to dave husek.
He is a master at the 200.
He will guide you.

My first action would be to find another brf or bq trans to use. Not saying it can't be done with the ktf you have but the learning curve to get the shifts where you want them will be steep.
There are other cores with a more performance oriented vb and governor that make it much easier to get where you might want to be. Other wise some trans fluid baths and dropping the gov to make mods could be fun I guess.
As far as mods a billet shaft forward drum is a good upgrade. I stay with the 7 vane pump but do a sonnax slide spring. Larger boost, rev boost and for the pressure setup are a good idea.
There are some vb mods that can be done along with stiffer accumulator springs. Since you probably have a 569 servo you will want a sonnax or other for clamping the drum.
As above a call to Mr husek is highly recommended.

Thanks for the input on my questions. I'll defer to the more knowledgeable as you have suggested and lookup Mr husek.

I built a couple like 10-15 years ago too but got away from them. I guess the same techniques work but I'm doing another in my 'spare time' now and finding it hard to get some of the parts.
I've been re-learning a lot on this forum searching old threads but missing pics and also by watching the 'wrenching with Phil' channel of youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNaE3CSaV7AAhsIGp6qCew/videos
I'd really like to understand modifying the governor more too but so far no luck for me...

I built a couple like 10-15 years ago too but got away from them. I guess the same techniques work but I'm doing another in my 'spare time' now and finding it hard to get some of the parts.
I've been re-learning a lot on this forum searching old threads but missing pics and also by watching the 'wrenching with Phil' channel of youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNaE3CSaV7AAhsIGp6qCew/videos
I'd really like to understand modifying the governor more too but so far no luck for me...
Thanks for that link. Looks very interesting.