S 10 rear brake cylinders

I used the ones for a '85 S-10 with manual brakes. Some might say '86 as well, but I know for a fact the ones that were on the gray car were for an '85 S-10 with manual brakes.
HTH

Patrick

A little trick I use to install the wheel cylinders ('85 S-10 w/MANUAL brakes) is squeeze the pistons together real tight, then wrap a tie wrap around it to hold the pistons compressed. Then I slide the new one in place and use a wedge of wood to hold it place. I wedge it between the axle flange and the wheel cylinder. Then install the retainer clip (behind the backing plate) and then hook up the brake line and tighten it. Then I cut the tie wrap and it'll expand pulling fuild into it. This saves ALOT of bleed time.

I just did mine today. Just go get your cylinders from GBodyParts.com Online

Brian has the correct ones, The AC Delco ones, not the cheaper ones that some parts stores have.

I just put the larger shoes on, but need my brand new drums turned a little, because they dont fit with the larger pads. Anyways, finishing it all up tomorrow!

-Adam

Have a question about this mod.....

I am looking into doing this, but couldn't someone just tighten up the rear brake shoes more than normal to accomplish the same goal....and then simply untighten when done at the track?

I'm curious how the different cylinders help exactly.

I would think that if you "tighten up" the shoes at track you would create a lot of drag and heat. The S-10 cylinders have a larger diameter bore and pistons (surface area) which equate into more force. At least that is how I see it. They are also relatively inexpensive.

I am looking into doing this, but couldn't someone just tighten up the rear brake shoes more than normal to accomplish the same goal....and then simply untighten when done at the track?

I'm curious how the different cylinders help exactly.

The wheel cylinders on our cars are 3/4" bore and the s10's are 7/8 bore. which equals more or stronger hold, and when done with the dual long shoes really makes a difference. I can hold about 12 psi footbraking it. I believe it helps greatly

be very carefull when braking as rear brakes will tend to lock up...EASILY. with big cyl and two long shoes ....BELIEVE ME

be very carefull when braking as rear brakes will tend to lock up...EASILY. with big cyl and two long shoes ....BELIEVE ME
I've heard that the S-10 cylinders can be kind of scary during a panic stop. Is there a way to remedy this problem? I'm running the longer shoes on my car but haven't installed the S-10 cylinders yet.

I'm not sure why some people have the stopping troubles. I run the longer shoes on all four positions on the rear and the S10 cylinders, and haven't suffered any lockups during hard stops, and still able to brake boost to 15#.

Probably the rear tires play a role and are a source of reported variation. I'd think sticky tires would be less likely to lockup in a hard stop.

Probably the rear tires play a role and are a source of reported variation. I'd think sticky tires would be less likely to lockup in a hard stop.

Could be, but I don't own any of those either.

Sorry to bring back an old thread here but....

Does anyone know the difference between the GM S10 wheel cylinders and the cheap after market ones like I can get at Auto Zone? Gbody parts has the set for $50 but I can get them for $11 each at Autozone. Thanks,
Mike

i would like to know this as well. is it worth going with the Gbodyparts ones when i can get cheap autozone specials? i think getting the true gm ones are the way to go but i dont want to waist my money. also turbodave im glad to see your not having the locking up problem that everyone seems to talk about. i have always wondered if this is true.

I just called the dealer and the GM part# is discontinued. So it's either Gbodyparts for the left over GM ones or go with Auto zone. I think I'm just going to order from Gbodyparts because I don't want screw around with inferior brake components.

As mentioned in post #11, NAPA # 46 37644 oversized rear brake cylinder is an option, and it seems to be of good quality.

I just called the dealer and the GM part# is discontinued. So it's either Gbodyparts for the left over GM ones or go with Auto zone. I think I'm just going to order from Gbodyparts because I don't want screw around with inferior brake components.

I also think once i buy from full front end rebuild kit i will order the Gbodyparts one as well. I also dont want to screw around with inferior brake parts as this becomes a major saftey issue.