RV antifreeze in parts washer?

matt69olds

Ain’t no feeling like Oldsmobling!
My hot water jet wash machine is in a garage that isn’t heated 24 hrs a day. Sometimes it might days it’s in the cold. I have always drained it for the winter, a friend asked if there was something that could be used to keep it from freezing. My first thought, RV antifreeze? For what I hope are obvious reasons, I want to keep regular green antifreeze as far as possible from my transmission parts!! Just curious what others do, and if just draining it is my only option. Thanks

Is it water only? No solvent?

If it's water only, I wouldn't contaminate it with anti-freeze, even the RV type. If it's got a solvent or something like Simple Green mixed in, that'll change the freezing point. You can test the mixture in your kitchen freezer or a deep freezer if you live up 'nort.

Otherwise, drain it or maintain the garage above freezing. Just keeping it at 34 will prevent stuff from freezing and probably won't cost you a pile, assuming you have a thermostatically controlled heat source out there.

pool or rv antifreeze will work both are non toxic . I have used both in my air to water intercooler with no problems its safe on orings and rubber seals

The machine does use a powdered soap, it turns the water a kinda brown color, almost like a weak tea. I did put some in a water bottle and put it in the freezer. It took longer than plain water but it did freeze. Anybody in reader land know how much RV antifreeze it would take to treat 35 gallons?

It depends on how cold it gets in your neck of the woods . if your seeing below 20 degrees you want to do a50/50 mixture