Rusted mufflers killing me.

jpetrol251

I would like to save original mufflers. Holes are a few inches wide. What about rewrapping them? Does anyone have ideas

20140401_112500_resized_1 (2).jpg 20140401_112435_resized (2).jpg

I think your best bet is to find a good used system from an 1983-88 Hurst Olds or 442 or Cutlass GT from a dry climate and get the mufflers from that. They are the same. Here's an NOS one on ebay not cheap but nevertheless. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-87-Old...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3737a972

You may also try contacting gardnerexhaust.com and see if they can help or have anything in the works. Richard Clark may also be able to help.

Just saw a guy do this on that show Legendary Motorcars on Velocity. They had an original 60's Ferrari (forget which model exactly, want to say 275 GTB), and the original owner took off the factory exhaust because it was rusted and broken up inside. Anyway, he saved it and when the new owner wanted to put it back to 100% original he had the case cut open, new tubes welded in, new packing, new sleeve and it was as good as new. Looked like a ton of work, but if its really what you want to do Im sure you could find someone to do it. Good luck.

what about getting a sheet metal guy to re sleeve over original canister?
I don't follow what you're trying to achieve here. Part of what makes the original mufflers 'original' is the information embossed on the outer sleeve like below. Rewrapping your original mufflers will cover that up effectively giving them a different appearance anyway. At that point, you might as well put the effort into just replacing them with close appearing aftermarket mufflers or new GM mufflers such as the eBay auction.

$_57.JPG

If you're going to continue to drive the car sparingly, another idea would be to remove your entire exhaust from the cat back, clean it up and store it. Look for correct mufflers to complete it and keep all that stuff in dry storage. Then you can bolt on another system that you won't have to worry about. A couple years ago I purchased the Walker 2 1/4" cat back system from RockAuto for a VIN 9 307 Olds to put on my wimpy little Cutlass Supreme Brougham.

62013_11373.jpg

It was less than $300, shipped.
0804121339_zps16b78fcd.jpg

getimage.php

Looks nice and sounds good (even on the VIN A wimp.) :smuggrin:

84-Cutlass-under.jpg

I Just went down that road. Don't waste your time messing with the old mufflers, Its not fixable. Its time to either go to rock auto and start over with stock replacement items or get an upgraded set of performance mufflers and pipes. I scored a complete performance set up that were barely used for 100 bucks from a local GN performance shop. Racers are constantly upgrading and their cast off parts , which are often better than original and can be had for reasonable money. Call and ask around and im sure you will find a deal.

I think if you look in the right places you will find the mufflers
Question is do you want new ones or ones that look like they belong on your car.
Although a good option I don't like the Richard Clark exhaust the chrome supra mufflers don't belong so unless you can dull down those mufflers the look for me isn't there
I believe if you look you will find the mufflers you want oem Gnx or 442 mufflers
If you look the mufflers are out there
And as for Richard Clark I don't think he's one for selling anything he has,
Good luck

wow I didn't even know that the 442 exhaust is the same as the gnx had I known that I wouldn't of bought Richards. Although I did make a difference in performance I did have to do some mods to make them fix because all GNX 's have different Rear specs so the solution if you ever get Richards Exhaust is don't buy the extra Gn exaust bracket as it says in the instructions(That's the bracket on the left side that's in all GN's that hold the original Muffler System) Instead you use the same type of l brackets for the end of tail pipe that come with any GN aftermarket Exhaust and you also may have to cut the end of the muffler 1 " to bring exhaust system forward any muffler shop can do it.

The hurst exhaust is not the same as a GNX. Only the mufflers are the same.

Pete

The mufflers usually rot out before the rest if the exhaust , if you can find a set of mufflers you will be golden