Running rich issue

Raymond Bunch

"Turbo Enthusiast"
TT 5.6

Having an issue. Long story short, need some help in figuring out why there is such a big difference in fueling between my old BB PTE 6776 and my new Journal PTE 6765 turbo.

OLD TIMES - PTE 6776 BB/H cover/.63 - No turbo lag, timing 20/21, WOT fuel all gears was (138), and 1st gear off set was (120), with this said, the car 60ft 1.5-1.6 and ran 6.9-7.1 consistently in the 1/8 and 11.0-11.3 at 120 in the 1/4.

NEW TIMES - PTE 6765 J/H cover/.63 - LOTS of turbo lag, timing 20/21, WOT fuel (128), and 1st gear off set (110), with this said the car still appears to be running extremely rich. My last track outing towards the end of the day only netted 98mph 1/8 then feel on it face afterwards. 60ft was 2.3. car popped the IC hoses off a couple times, was running very rich, wrong spark plugs too. Autolite 23's

+Now to day during lunch time I went home and took more fuel out of WOT fuel all gears, it's now at 120), and 1st gear off set is now at (108). The cars feels much better! Pulls pretty hard and doesn't have near the lag. O2's were still 800+ with Alky/pump gas. .05 knock.

Even while power breaking it, building boost, O2's were 840-860!!!

Question of the day - Why is it still running rich with so much fuel being removed compared to my old setup with the PTE 6776? Also, during the runs today and easing into it, boost climbed slowly to 18 psi. It felt good, no hesitation, popping ect.

Tonight I will reset the ECM, check connections on the chip, grounds ect. Base fuel is good on the FPR 43 vac line off. I also put the stock maf back on. No vac line leaks, exhaust leaks or anything.

Question, why is it still running rich with so much fuel removed compaired to my old set up with the PTE 6776?

COMBO - Engine is a 020 over with coated diamond forged 8-1 pistons, Scat Stroker Crank & rods, Erson hyd flat tappet 224/224 505 lift 112 L.S. Ported Irons, stock rockers, Port matched intake, smith bros. push rods, file fit rings, premium bearings, 002 clearance on rods & mains, RJC deep pan, H.Duty oil pump & reworked oil passages front cover, Steel main caps, TT 5,6 60lb inj, Walbrow F/P, hot wired, Lou's trans guy built trans 3000-3200 stall, front mount I/C, ect.

Please disregard. I will be needing a new torque convertor to match 6765 turbo.

I put all the fuel settings the same as before with the old turbo, and took the car for a spin. While shifting the car manualy and keeping it in the power band, the car ran very strong on just 18 psi pump gas and Alky. Time to look at convertors!

While I would just love to have another Ball Bearing Turbo, it just wasn't in my budget this time around. I can say however, the car has gone 100mph in the 1/8, that as fast as it has ever been. Lower boost too, at 17-18 psi it pulled very hard manually shifting it.

Dave - Wideband is in my very near future. I'm currently saving pennies for the power logger, wideband combo. $1200 a month for youth camp for my two boys has put a pinch on my Buick funds...lol

While I would just love to have another Ball Bearing Turbo, it just wasn't in my budget this time around. I can say however, the car has gone 100mph in the 1/8, that as fast as it has ever been. Lower boost too, at 17-18 psi it pulled very hard manually shifting it.

Dave - Wideband is in my very near future. I'm currently saving pennies for the power logger, wideband combo. $1200 a month for youth camp for my two boys has put a pinch on my Buick funds...lol

What i meant was, that seems like the culprit (at least to me ) why u were running so rich down low and of course experiencing so much lag. As expected the car should be faster overall as the newer turbine wheel (65 GT style) versus the older 76 P trim style is a vast improvement in aerodynamics.