Running lean?

Benny™

To preface this, the TTA has 84k miles all original and has never had a real issue, always ran strong. took it off the road for a bit for primarily suspension work. So the TTA has been back on the road for a few weeks now, haven't really gotten the chance to break in the new suspension but that's not the issue. Out of no where the idle sounded super groggy and then engine light popped up for a split second, both idle issue and light went away. Threw a scanner on it and the 02 sensor was throwing a lean mixture code. Just replace the sensor right? I've never had a scanmaster against all better judgement and finally got one after realizing this isn't a car I should just be fucking around with. I replaced the 02 sensor right before I used the scanmaster and went to check all the readings. Tps is 44, IAC is normal, int/BLMs stay within range during normal driving, but my CC's read super slow, between 3-4 a frame, with some outlying days where it runs normal upon cold start but that's it. It's a brand new GM sensor. I also rolled into boost to see if I was getting knock, I felt the car obviously leaning out on the top end and at about 15 psi I look down and see 7.8 degrees of retard. Let off and decided that's enough boost for a while. The fuel pump was replaced as well as every spark related component, the injectors are original and old as well as fuel pressure regulator. My first reaction is to replace the injectors and regulator and see if there's a difference. I just would like any kind of opinion on this, maybe something I'm missing? I'd like to keep the car original but it seems as if that's doing more harm than good. Unfortunately I had been driving the car in these same conditions for a while and have gotten into boost several times without a scanmaster, I guess I'm lucky nothing has happened yet but I'm almost at a loss since this issue seems to have come completely out of no where. TIA

Post what the BLM's are in Park with the engine fully warmed up from the Scamnaster.

Original maf, also I will be unable to take the car out for a couple days but when I do I'll get an exact number as for BLMs, but I seem to remember last time it was around 128-130 in idle but not sure if that was in park

Give us a MAF number as well as BLM's in Park fully warmed up when you get a chance.

Will do, I'll pick up a new maf while the car is off the road for a couple days just in case.

If your going to pickup another stock style MAF you are rolling the dice. If the MAF is deemed the issue here, and you haven't gotten a MAF translator yet, now is a good time to go that route if the MAF is needing replaced.

No, it won't look original but will function much better.

I just re-read your original post and the lean condition your describing is very similar to what I experienced with my WE4 when I first picked it up. After going through the car and doing the normal maintenance stuff it ran perfect, but I was still lean at WOT. The chip in the car was from 20 years ago so I updated with with a new TT chip. Still lean at WOT. I sent Eric at TurboTweak a power logger file and he pointed out that the MAF wasn't functioning correctly during spool up and I was getting some transitional KR. At about 15/16lbs of boost I was seeing about 245 GPS from the MAF.

Eric's Response:
"A big problem is your MAF is not hitting 255 at full boost, so that’s making it leaner than intended.
It should be hitting 255 by the time you get to 15-16psi boost. The chip will not lock to 255, unless the MAF actually gets there first."

The car ran flawlessly otherwise, zero hesitation, smooth idle, great MPG's ect.

I just re-read your original post and the lean condition your describing is very similar to what I experienced with my WE4 when I first picked it up. After going through the car and doing the normal maintenance stuff it ran perfect, but I was still lean at WOT. The chip in the car was from 20 years ago so I updated with with a new TT chip. Still lean at WOT. I sent Eric at TurboTweak a power logger file and he pointed out that the MAF wasn't functioning correctly during spool up and I was getting some transitional KR. At about 15/16lbs of boost I was seeing about 245 GPS from the MAF.

Eric's Response:
"A big problem is your MAF is not hitting 255 at full boost, so that’s making it leaner than intended.
It should be hitting 255 by the time you get to 15-16psi boost. The chip will not lock to 255, unless the MAF actually gets there first."

The car ran flawlessly otherwise, zero hesitation, smooth idle, great MPG's ect.
Good to hear, my idle isn't perfect when cold but once warmed up it runs pretty damn smooth, without a doubt I would believe it's the maf, however as previously stated most of the fuel related components haven't been touched. I haven't monitored the AF when at WOT primarily because I just simply don't want to go WOT. perhaps it's worth the test when it's running.