running hot

MY T FAST

hi guys,
i just put in a new radiator from buickgn, and i have a question. the car runs great and the temps hover around 160 (160 tstat) when i'm driving. but as soon as i park and idle, the temps skyrocket, its gotten to 235 before. my fan comes on at ~165 like it should, i have plenty of coolant in it. why is this happening? thanks,
Talon

I'm wondering if your waterpump is shot. While you're driving, air is passing through the rad keeping things cool. Maybe the waterpump isn't circulating very well while you're idling.

Not sure how you have everything hooked up but are you sure the fan is pulling air and not pushing? It just sounds like the radiator is not pulling enough air.

This is how mine is set up and I have zero issues. Some people like to go to dual fans but I don't see a need for it.

GNalumrad%20(9).JPG

Got something wrong there but doubt it is the radiator! I was seriously considering going up in temp as far as t-stats go because mine runs too cool most of the time. Water pump or fan issue I would say. Sure all the air is out of the system? Did you recheck the coolant level after the initial fill and warm up? T-stat sticking???

yeah the fan is installed correctly, and upon more driving i have discovered that the problem is intermittant. sometimes at idle it'll stay between ~155-165 and others it just skyrockets, but it always (so far) has come back down as soon as i start driving again.

i'm pretty sure its not the radiator as well, its a great piece. i checked the level again and it was ok. and the resevoir is filled completely up. maybe it is the tstat. i'll buy another 160 and replace it when i get the chance. thanks guys,
Talon

i'm using my scanmaster, so possibly, but i don't think the gauge is bad.

thanks you guys for the advice.
Talon

i just went through some what the same thing and it was my guage that was defective....bought a new one and stayed at 165...