Rules Update

Sydwyndr

Admin
Staff member
Hopefully this will come out before Jan. 1. Anything past that may give as little as 10 weeks before the first event of the year. If there are alot of changes and several cars decide not to run THS then I need to know ASAP. I will have the first 2 races of the year and need to determine if the rule changes will adversly affect car count enough to run THS in GA and NC

Hopefully this will come out before Jan. 1. Anything past that may give as little as 10 weeks before the first event of the year. If there are alot of changes and several cars decide not to run THS then I need to know ASAP. I will have the first 2 races of the year and need to determine if the rule changes will adversly affect car count enough to run THS in GA and NC

Considering that there is alot of talk around this behind closed doors on all sides, I am hoping that KIP will post and clarify the rumors. Hopefully that is all that it is 'rumors'. I normally remain a silent member have been hit from every direction with questions about the rules. I honestly have no idea as I personally have no control over the rules. From my understanding, it is not a racers vote either. I do know that there is likely to be some clarity in the use of fiberglass such as hoods. (which is not a component that makes a car any quicker)

Kip can you clarify some of the rumors that are flying around and seem to have THS racers heading away from the class? I will not name names or repeat what was said to me in confidence, but I will say that it has alot of people concerned. Not to mention that people have very little time to turn a car around if major components are changed in the rules from 2010 to 2011. These days people dont spend the money they did 5 years go and that plays a factor in it. Especially people who built a car for the 2010 rules or changed existing car for 2010 rules.

So in short, I am asking Kip or whomever that is making the rules to post here to disspell the worry/concern/rumors. Just looking out for the class and help the first two events of the year have a car count that matches whatever the wind is blowing in.

Considering that there is alot of talk around this behind closed doors on all sides, I am hoping that KIP will post and clarify the rumors. Hopefully that is all that it is 'rumors'. I normally remain a silent member have been hit from every direction with questions about the rules. I honestly have no idea as I personally have no control over the rules. From my understanding, it is not a racers vote either. I do know that there is likely to be some clarity in the use of fiberglass such as hoods. (which is not a component that makes a car any quicker)

Kip can you clarify some of the rumors that are flying around and seem to have THS racers heading away from the class? I will not name names or repeat what was said to me in confidence, but I will say that it has alot of people concerned. Not to mention that people have very little time to turn a car around if major components are changed in the rules from 2010 to 2011. These days people dont spend the money they did 5 years go and that plays a factor in it. Especially people who built a car for the 2010 rules or changed existing car for 2010 rules.

So in short, I am asking Kip or whomever that is making the rules to post here to disspell the worry/concern/rumors. Just looking out for the class and help the first two events of the year have a car count that matches whatever the wind is blowing in.

Very well SAID!!!

X2

thanks JD

I do know that there is likely to be some clarity in the use of fiberglass such as hoods. (which is not a component that makes a car any quicker)

I can't comment on any rule changes that may or may not be in the works as it's not something I'm privy to, but in response to this statement I feel the need to point some things out from last years rules.

Quoted from 2010 Rules

Chassis & Exterior

1. Lights, horn and windshield wipers must be operational.
2. Aftermarket fiberglass or carbon fiber bumpers and bumper filler panels are allowed.
3. MINIMUM vehicle weight including the driver MUST be at least 3500-pounds for a vehicle equipped with IRON heads and 3650-pounds for a vehicle equipped with ALUMINUM heads.
4. Complete stock and painted T-Type, Turbo Regal, Grand National or 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am body required.
5. Stock wheelbase is required.
6. The engine and the firewall must be in the stock location.
7. Stock operable door glass windows, glass quarter windows (where applicable), glass front and rear windshields are required. No lexan.
8. Factory stock suspension locations required with any type stock location shock absorbers.
9. Any suspension stabilizer/ reinforcement bars or traction enhancing devices are allowed.
10. Sway bars may be removed.
11. No ladder bars or coil-over equipped rear suspensions.
12. Outer frame rail notching is allowed. Inner frame rails must remain in the stock location.
13. Reinforcement at the inner rear frame rail is allowed.
14. No quarter panel modifications except rolled inner lips.
15. Minor modifications to the stock rear wheel wells allowed but no mini tubs.
16. Factory stock appearing front inner wheel wells required. Trimming for downpipe clearance is allowed.
17. No wheelie bars.
18. The brake system must be a Power Master or vacuum boost operated, or manual brakes are allowed.
19. A brake system line-lock is allowed.
20. The driver’s name on the side window is allowed. Sponsor or vendor decal(s) are acceptable on the rear window and rear quarter glass windows (where applicable).
21. A maximum of two (2) hood mounted gauges are allowed.
22. The Turbo Trans Am must use the factory production stock K-member.

End Quote

I'm sorry, but a fiberglass hood is not a stock body part on a Regal or TTA...Only body panels that can be fiberglass are the bumpers and bumper fillers. Rule says stock, not externally stock appearing.

So Sean, put your stock hood back on and let's go back to the track on the 20th and run faster :D

Collin that is not the underlying issue that people that have contacted me are concerned about.

I will not speak for any one but, I am going to guess that the powers that be that make the rules want to slow the class down just as Kevin B mentioned. The immediate concern is the amount of money they will have to spend to run the class and change the car. Things like your post are really not a concern of mine or the others that I have talked to.

So the question is not what the rules state now, but what changes people may have to make that will cost them to run the class. I take it as a good sign that people are concerned, but i am sure that people will post to make this more negative and off the true topic which is clarifying the future rules.

Cheers

Opinions

2. Aftermarket fiberglass or carbon fiber bumpers and bumper filler panels are allowed.
4. Complete stock and painted T-Type, Turbo Regal, Grand National or 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am body required.

Um,

Where are the words ONLY 2. Aftermarket fiberglass or carbon fiber bumpers and bumper filler panels are allowed.

AND
EXACTLY what it says COMEPLETE dont come to the event with a missing hood,door,trunklid or any other body part

So thats how I see it and thats why it has been on since Reynolds last year and North Carolina this year !!!!;)

CYA
Cruz

So Sean, put your stock hood back on and let's go back to the track on the 20th and run faster :D

Rock on

Collin that is not the underlying issue that people that have contacted me are concerned about.

I will not speak for any one but, I am going to guess that the powers that be that make the rules want to slow the class down just as Kevin B mentioned. The immediate concern is the amount of money they will have to spend to run the class and change the car. Things like your post are really not a concern of mine or the others that I have talked to.

So the question is not what the rules state now, but what changes people may have to make that will cost them to run the class. I take it as a good sign that people are concerned, but i am sure that people will post to make this more negative and off the true topic which is clarifying the future rules.

Cheers

As I previously mentioned I have no idea what rule changes may be in store if any, but I assure you and everyone on here that if any are made the changes will be made with the intent of making car counts higher/as high.

I know Kip and Ed pretty well and they would never drive off a racer intentionally and as racers they understand that there are some things that just can't be changed easily for lots of people, so I have faith that there won't be any changes like that.

So what I'm trying to say is everyone CALM DOWN, it'll all be ok.

EXACTLY what it says COMEPLETE dont come to the event with a missing hood,door,trunklid or any other body part

So thats how I see it and thats why it has been on since Reynolds last year and North Carolina this year !!!!;)

CYA
Cruz

Complete Stock body, not just complete body.

Again, I am not concerned about the hood.

I think that once Kip or Ed have a chance to post the rumors will be disspelled.... or at least that is my intention. rumors of turbo changes, etc etc... will be answered. As long as I do not feel that I was targeted as some might would suggest I am good. I actually have been sent a couple of items that the rules would eliminate b/c my car has them...honestly... it has to be speculation and people just guessing...so that is why I am asking the guys that started the class to clarify.... They have done a great job so far... i do not expect any less now....

Let me go on record as stating this: So far I have not felt targeted by Ed or Kip.....(I do not suggest that they are either.... )Just tryiing to slow the rumor mill that has me drug into it. :)

When they reply with the rules we will all see....and we will see whether everyone's concern is warranted.

Right now I am not going to scream the sky is falling.......:rolleyes:

Lets try to keep to the guts of the thread...if someone wants to change subject then start your own thread...

Kip...Ed... you guys have the floor....

I personally think that if this is a street class then steel bumpers should be required for this class. Not one turbo regal came from the factory with fiberglass bumpers.

The only fiberglass parts that should be in use is bumper fillers.As the stock one are pricey and hard to get.

Someone made mention that fiberglass parts are not performance parts. But i think that they are. My reason for this is when you put on the fiberglass bumpers it saves weight. Weight is performance Right?

I also know that cars have to weigh a certain amount to race too. so with the weight savings over the fiberglass bumpers one can add the weight back to the car where it can become a performance advantage.

I also think that Front and rear sway bars must be in the stock location.

a stroked motor or have aluminum heads did not come from the factory like either... I am just saying...

Sure would be nice to know if there's any changes or not. Or at least know when the update will come out.
Some of us have a lot of broken stuff to either fix to run THS legit or abort that and fix it the way we want and just enjoy it for what it is. That way we don't contstantly have to worry if and when the rug is pulled out from under us.
Still waiting.........

Sure would be nice to know if there's any changes or not. Or at least know when the update will come out.
Some of us have a lot of broken stuff to either fix to run THS legit or abort that and fix it the way we want and just enjoy it for what it is. That way we don't contstantly have to worry if and when the rug is pulled out from under us.
Still waiting.........

Huh?? Yeah I don't understand this one, you can get to fixing your broke stuff with no worries Doc, you're not going to wake up the day after your car is fixed to find out that your shortblock is illegal, or something crazy like that I'm sure of it.

On a personal note you kind of just implied that you don't like your car as a THS car, if you're not happy with the way your car is set up made you should look at the rules for the other classes and see which one is more along the lines of what you want your car to be...I don't know your preferences obviously, but there are classes that are more stock and way more racey it's all in what you want your car to be.

And maybe I took you wrong, that's just impression I got by your statement.

a few people have mention that they have been communicating about "the possibility" of future rules.... they have stated that no final decision has been made just talking about possible rule changes... and all the ones that i have seen post with some type of knowledge of the on goings of the rule discussion live in the same state ....as....:rolleyes:

Clay... I understand your frustration... you have built a car from scratch and spent alot of money just for the THS class and right now the car is hurt and you are not sure if the money you just spent for the class (to support the class) is warranted..... others on here may down play that investment and blow it off... but I will not.....its a slap in the face for people to tell you to go to another class after having done what you have just done.....try to weather the storm...:cool:

On a personal note you kind of just implied that you don't like your car as a THS car, if you're not happy with the way your car is set up made you should look at the rules for the other classes and see which one is more along the lines of what you want your car to be...I don't know your preferences obviously, but there are classes that are more stock and way more racey it's all in what you want your car to be.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

a few people have mention that they have been communicating about "the possibility" of future rules.... they have stated that no final decision has been made just talking about possible rule changes... and all the ones that i have seen post with some type of knowledge of the on goings of the rule discussion live in the same state ....as....:rolleyes:

Clay... I understand your frustration... you have built a car from scratch and spent alot of money just for the THS class and right now the car is hurt and you are not sure if the money you just spent for the class (to support the class) is warranted..... others on here may down play that investment and blow it off... but I will not.....its a slap in the face for people to tell you to go to another class after having done what you have just done.....try to weather the storm...:cool:

Maybe you need to learn to read, I NEVER said to go to a different class...I'm saying you have to be happy with your car 1st, and pick the class that's closest to what you want your car to be...it sounded like maybe he wasn't happy with his car in THS form, if that's the case maybe he should reevaluate what he wants his car to be.

I would never brush off someones time and investment, but if they aren't that happy with the results what good is it??

Not sure what you are confused about Don, Clay made the statement that he had to decide whether to follow THS rules or fix it "the way he wants it"...I can tell you right now, if my car breaks then I want to fix it in such a way that it's legal for THS, cuz that's the class I like...If that's not what I wanted my car to be then I would build what I wanted for the class I wanted to race (assuming I could afford to do that).

As I said, if that's not what he meant then ok, I was mistaken.

Back on Point.

THS Rules update for 2011..

Kip and Ed have a hell of a decision to make. I do not envy their position. Racers are concerned and worried about what they dont know. Kip and Ed want to grow and maintain the class. I am not sure how they can do that at this point. The mid ten guys are going to complain and want the class to slow down. The 9s guys are gonna say leave it alone. I tried to not make suggestions as this is not "The Wraith" show.... it is the THS Class.....

So I will once again try to put this thread back on target. Weight and air pipe size is not the answer to slow the class down IMO. There are cars already well over weight with 3in pipes that can run the number. Lets also remember that a low 10 sec car won the 17 car race in BG.

So lets try not to get on each other's nerves and let them clear up the rumors/confusion/etc/ ...............