Roller rockers that won't break the bank

Sleeper-6

Will someone please come up with a rocker setup that will bridge the gap between the factory stuff and the $500 options we have now.

Will someone please come up with a rocker setup that will bridge the gap between the factory stuff and the $500 options we have now.

you mean some copied in china?

that is not the answer guys. they have those china rockers for the small block chevy and man are they junk. they are constantly breaking until the guy that bought them has had enough and buys a good set. It always ends up costing him way more in the long run.

you are money ahead just buying the good set to begin with.

I found that..

there are 2 different versions of the T&D's.
"Econo version" = no brgs in the roller tips.
"Hi buck" version, [AIRC $13.00 ea additional rocker] = needle brgs in the tips.
Easy way to tell, look at the tips to see if there's a small washer on each side of the roller.
The older version of the Scorpions = junk. Had 8 of the 12 w/ the roller tips locked up, after only a short time.
I monitored oil temps, and found a significantly lower temp w/ roller rockers. [15*, as I recall.]
+1 on Race Jace's comment....

First let me say I agree with Race Jace, I don't want a china version that sucks. I would like something in between for those of us on a very strict budget. Maybe a stamped set of rockers with roller tips.

I'm not looking for china junk, I was hoping there would be a way to retrofit a roller rocker type design on to the stock type shaft. I guess I'm just getting jelous looking at all the V8 stuff in the summit catalog where they get 16 rockers for $300 and we have to pay $500 for 12. :confused:

there are a whole lot more v8's then our turbo 6's.
You make more you can sell them for less. If your looking for cheap your picked the wrong car to mod. Thats what makes these cars cool... not everyone and their brother has one. If you want to cheap out take that old v6 out and put in a small block ;)

I think anyone that's owned one of these cars for a year or two knows they're not as cheap as a SBC. The real trick is not buying into the BS about how parts HAVE to be super expensive just because it's a turbo Regal.

not saying they HAVE to be crazy expensive... your not paying for something that's just found already made. Your PAYING for the engineering behind it. Now, if 100,000 people would buy it I'm sure the engineering cost would be MUCH MUCH lower PER item. Since we here are a smaller crowd... to make it make worthwhile AT ALL for the people who come up with this cost is increased per item. Now, over time the cost will drop as with anything. This is still a relatively new thing and that time is slowly coming. This is technically still a newer car! Things are still being improved... and tested. The small block has been around long before the turbo v6 and has been in many more cars... NOT just two limited platforms.
Yes, it would be nice to have cheaper items... but i for one got into this knowing i would be spending more then a small block. The trick is spending it right the first time and not wrong over and over
My 2cents

First, while this engine was only turbocharged in our cars, there were about a million of them put in other cars. Second, you'll notice sleeper-6 suggested a retrofit. If you're familiar with our engine you'd know that it shares allot with other engines, like the Buick 350 for example. :rolleyes: There could be some options there. Also, just because something was made for a Chevy doesn't mean it can't be used for something else. Just talk to the guys running TH400's in the GN's.

Now, on the subject of engineering costs. There are only so many ways to build a rocker arm. They work the same on pretty much every push rod engine ever made. I suggested a stamped roller tip rocker. How much engineering do you think would really have to go into that?

i dont see very many people tweaking non turbo buicks (v6's anyways) ;) like i said. it would be nice to have cheaper ones, and the prices are going down. I dont think they will be what the small blocks are for some time though. i never said it CANT be done. it just isnt being done now

this is a place to share ideas as a comunity... Not a place to attack someones intellect for speaking up.

Don’t they make a pill for that?
Panties falling down.jpg

It used to! 😁
I tried the pill once.
I didn't have enough skin left to close my eyes!