Roller cam or stock ?

GregGnTn

So I’m rebuilding my engine buying parts from well none vendor, I was told not to go back with the standard cam because of the new oils don’t have zinc in them and was told to go with a roller cam because the stock cams were not lasting, I realize the roller is much better but I’m i being played So they have a better sale ?

Thanks Greg

For the price and for the safety I will always put a roller in my motors. No need for a flat tapper anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do your research on this flat tappet cams have lived just fine in many motors. Both have pros and cons neither are bullet proof. To me the oil argument is out the window with such oils as amsoil zrod and Royal purple hps to name a couple, or if you choose to mess with an oils engineered formula you can dump in some zddp to whatever oil.
Well respected vendor and engine builder @Steve V has had positive things to say on flat tappets maybe he will see this and add a few words of experience. Proper installation and run in & then a good oil containing zddp seem to be the key..

Yes flat tappets work and have worked for a very long time. There are several advantages to going with a roller. More pros then cons IMOP

1. I will never recommend a flat tappet on a build. Too risky.
2. You don't seem to trust your well known builder.
3. I've learned to do things the right way the first time or pay dearly the second.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So every engine with a flat tappet cam is doomed because of the new oil?

Flat tappet too risky?

Damn, I been away too long! lol!

Thanks guys for the reply’s, this doesn’t have anything too do with my builder, this was from they vendor that suggested me not to use the flat tappet cam, so instead of the $300. Cam I went with the $950. Cam & roller rockers, just wanted your guys opinion.

Thanks to all !

Has anyone cryogenically treated a flat tappet camshaft to address the potential wear issue? Just curious.

Has anyone cryogenically treated a flat tappet camshaft to address the potential wear issue? Just curious.

Cryo treating is a scam. Anything the cryo treatment might possibly do goes away the first time you heat cycle the part.

As for the oil thing, flat tappets are fine if you break them in according to the instructions using a quality break-in oil and run the engine on a quality oil like Amsoil or the Royal Purple HPS. And don't go nuts with the spring pressures.

I've seen test results where the ZDDP additives actually reduce the high pressure tolerance of an oil. Engine oil is a carefully mixed concoction, it's best to pick a product that has what you need in the bottle and not try to mix it yourself in the driveway.

All that said, I did a roller. There's no good reason not to.

my recent build, originally installed 208 , hyd roller, upon start up, didn't like the additional noise from the roller,
using roller rockers too! ,
after 2 weeks, tore it down and installed a flat tappet, NOW sounds like orig/ stocker.
nice and quiet, only noise now is injector clicking,
used std dino oil and zddp, ........ now, yr later, still smooth and quiet,
no issues,

my recent build, originally installed 208 , hyd roller, upon start up, didn't like the additional noise from the roller,
after 2 weeks, tore it down and installed a flat tappet, NOW sounds like orig/ stocker.
no issues,
Few more years that hearing wont be so good and a roller will be just fine

So I’m rebuilding my engine buying parts from well none vendor, I was told not to go back with the standard cam because of the new oils don’t have zinc in them and was told to go with a roller cam because the stock cams were not lasting, I realize the roller is much better but I’m i being played So they have a better sale ?

Thanks Greg

Make sure you get the correct springs and lifters for your application. If you're not sure ask someone on the board.

no issues,

I like the way mine sounds. Like a high performance sewing machine! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price, is a good reason not to, lol!

A lobe failure is at a minimum a complete teardown, clean up, and reassembly with a new set of bearings. And that's if the metal from the cam failure doesn't wipe out the bearing in your turbocharger or score the journals on the crank. Weigh the risk against the cost. It wasn't a hard decision in my case.

A lobe failure is at a minimum a complete teardown, clean up, and reassembly with a new set of bearings. And that's if the metal from the cam failure doesn't wipe out the bearing in your turbocharger or score the journals on the crank. Weigh the risk against the cost. It wasn't a hard decision in my case.
All good points.

To me, for a street car, it's not worth it.

No mystery to a cam from the olden days. lol!

I realize the roller is much better but I’m i being played So they have a better sale ?
no the roller is a much better peice,as everything can break i will say you wont have to pull the motor or go through the diagnosis problems when the car makes noises or is down on power because the lobe got wiped.with a wiped cam a cascade of other broken parts may follow,although i didnt have that issue when i wore out a flat tappet,others have.building a forged/performance short block the roller makes alot more sense and really should be there.if its a stock shortblock installed right, the flat tappet with no crazy spring pressures would be a low budget, not alot of risk scenario.i dont see a problem with that if one understands the risks.