Roll Call !!!! What's going on with your Hot Air?

thats going to be one sick ride for sure. Anything done to the motor?

Just a cam for this one. Got HPTuners to tune the stock ECU.

Gonna cut my teeth on the stocker 5.3 and see how much abuse it'll take:D.

I've got a complete 6.0 up at my Dad's shop that I'll put rods and pistons in and swap out the 5.3 when I figure out what I'm doing.:eek:.

Shooting for RELIABLE 10.0/135-140 on pump gas(E85) when it's all sorted out. Hell I may skip the intercooler and keep calling it a hotair car:D:eek::rolleyes:.

right on, that will be fun for sure

Also whats wrong with trying to be king of the hotair with a 3.8 block? Its a friendly game of making these cars faster and faster and trying to push the limits and not head gaskets. ;)

If i didn't have this board i would be board out of my mind. Im starting to do trackdays with my streetbike so thats get me by as well. This board is all i have to stay connected with my buick. It really sucks when your car is 500 miles away and you cant work on it and when you do work on it your rushed.

I don't much get on the old board here. Just don't have the time. Which means I sure as hell don't have the time to read up on all the trash talking. But I have read some of it. And for some reason I'm still a moderator, so I have some opinions...

The title of this thread is "what's up with your hot-air?" It does not say "what's up with your never-had-never-will-have-an-intercooler-hot-air". Should someone START a thread with that title, so be it. But "what's up with your hot-air", I'll take that literally thank you.

This means, if you've stuck 17 liquid nitrogen cooled intercoolers in it, jammed a 528 elephant hemi under the hood, used it to smash into your ex-wife's house, traded it for a vacation to Tijuana, or blew the sumbich to smithereens with 1000# of dynamite, then as far as I'm concerned, that's "what's up with your hot-air". And posting in this thread is appropriate.

And if anyone gives a damn, what's up with MY hot-air is: Sold it (translation" gave it) to my son. He drove the daylights out of it for 2 years, and it's plain wore out. Needs everything.

including an intercooler. ;)

FWIW-- I started on this board when my car was 14 years old. It's now 12 years older than THAT---and so am I. So I'm here to tell all of ya- Life's too short. So remember the 2 golden rules:
1- don't sweat the small stuff.
2- it's ALL small stuff.

Have fun!

Well said, BFH! I don't see the difference with
adding an IC and adding alky injection.
In fact I like both!

I don't much get on the old board here. Just don't have the time. Which means I sure as hell don't have the time to read up on all the trash talking. But I have read some of it. And for some reason I'm still a moderator, so I have some opinions...

The title of this thread is "what's up with your hot-air?" It does not say "what's up with your never-had-never-will-have-an-intercooler-hot-air". Should someone START a thread with that title, so be it. But "what's up with your hot-air", I'll take that literally thank you.

This means, if you've stuck 17 liquid nitrogen cooled intercoolers in it, jammed a 528 elephant hemi under the hood, used it to smash into your ex-wife's house, traded it for a vacation to Tijuana, or blew the sumbich to smithereens with 1000# of dynamite, then as far as I'm concerned, that's "what's up with your hot-air". And posting in this thread is appropriate.

And if anyone gives a damn, what's up with MY hot-air is: Sold it (translation" gave it) to my son. He drove the daylights out of it for 2 years, and it's plain wore out. Needs everything.

FWIW-- I started on this board when my car was 14 years old. It's now 12 years older than THAT---and so am I. So I'm here to tell all of ya- Life's too short. So remember the 2 golden rules:
2- it's ALL small stuff.

Have fun!

What's up Kevin...

That A/C blankoff plate in my underhood pics is a little of your recent handywork:cool:.

Hey my wife has to go to SLC every year for a few days for business. We should get together and drink rum and cokes in the hotel parking lot for old times sake:eek::D:cool:

Later,Sean

. . . The title of this thread is "what's up with your hot-air?" It does not say "what's up with your never-had-never-will-have-an-intercooler-hot-air". Should someone START a thread with that title, so be it. But "what's up with your hot-air", I'll take that literally thank you.

BFH,
We have never met or chatted and I think you are a great and knowledgeable guy, based on my interpretations of your writings.

I have the utmost respect for Shane G. (Board Owner) based on my readings about his core believes, although I have never met him.
I am therefore not going to disrespect his board.

It has always been “my” understanding is that this section is “Hot Air (Non Intercooled) Tech.”
Not sure what that means anymore and maybe it is my ignorance of the difference between HA and IC’d.

I therefore respectfully disagree with your dissection of the thread title and the provided feedback.
If we are going to dissect to the level of detail implied to, than we need to dissect to the same level of detail of this Forum title, “Hot Air (Non Intercooled) Tech.”

I have no intention to be around long enough to see the end of the “HA vs IC’d” debates between the 6 or so HA owners that still choose to work on these cars, and others. JMHO.

repaint

paintjob003-2.jpg

2- it's ALL small stuff.

Have fun!

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff :biggrin:

I promised an update...

First of all it was great to hear from Kevin - "Buick from Hell" after a long duration of not hearing a peep! On the social involvement guess who is moving to Utah? hee hee I will be up in the Tremonton area for a sweetie's family reunion and camping in the Bear River area at the end of the month. Let me know how to reach you and I will give you a shout out while on vacation, or after I relocate from Colorado.

The Wide Band O2 Chip is connected to the LM1 and a laptop.

Who says I don't have friends? I have Sponge Bob enjoying the large leather seat in the back all to himself and a screaming Patrick riding up front!

20351440123_large.jpg

----------

The late model Camaro radiator install wth B&M transmisson cooler (Proof it is a bolt in - I did it!)

20351440124_large.jpg

----------

It is becoming a better functional "Street/Strip Race Car" on the inside!

20351440126_large.jpg

---------

Yes... It is converted! Won't go with an elephant motor... but the "next time" is possibly a stroked 400+ inch small block Chevy and turbo to upset everyone - even the converted guys.

20351440127_large.jpg

WFO said it best...

"It has all been played out..."

Yup... I was one of the plank members of this posting area (that means original participants when it was all brand new, and goody goody... and we were all "Hot-Air." If my brain cells serve me right we didn't have too many of us in the beginning either! See what word of mouth can do?

With that being said...

I applaud all of you. Each one of you!

I do.

You all could have bought Honda's and Kia's and had me really bust on your chops. However; you all own a turbo Buick. So... Regardless of the discussion and the politics thereof each one of you is cool in my book.

Instead of ragging me on why I converted over to an intercooled situation, and that I can't tune for worth a damn... you can bust my balls on the 5.0 Mustang that was converted over to a stroked 351W wth 432 cubic inches, a TKO-600 transmission, and a 3.55 geared 31 spline 8.8 rear end. Oh... it has a Paxton-1000 supercharger overclocked to pump out 18lbs boost. "Hot-Air" with water/methanol injection.

Not going anywhere... not unless I am banned again. LOL :biggrin:

I learn something new each time I come in here. Some of you are flat out amazing in skills and capabilities. I can barely operate a rusty screw driver and a 25 year old Torque wrench. :biggrin:

Patrick wanted the front seat

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHPo3_F1gWg[/YOUTUBE]

:biggrin:

Kevin... I was corrected by the sweetie. It is Bear Lake. Not sure how far off the area is from your location. I am moving for a career change... Want to drive a truck for the remainder of my working life... no more cubical's, no more Doonesberry Look alike idiot boss's, and the chance to see the country I served over 20 years.

All of you guys can reach me on Yahoo Messenger or Email. Boostnitup@Yahoo.com
I sign in a couple times a day.

I'll make it another post. Perhaps this will assist the newbies who need some questions answered? We used to be readily available for each other in a turbo Buick chat room.

BFH,
We have never met or chatted and I think you are a great and knowledgeable guy, based on my interpretations of your writings.

I have the utmost respect for Shane G. (Board Owner) based on my readings about his core believes, although I have never met him.
I am therefore not going to disrespect his board.

It has always been “my” understanding is that this section is “Hot Air (Non Intercooled) Tech.”
Not sure what that means anymore and maybe it is my ignorance of the difference between HA and IC’d.

I therefore respectfully disagree with your dissection of the thread title and the provided feedback.
If we are going to dissect to the level of detail implied to, than we need to dissect to the same level of detail of this Forum title, “Hot Air (Non Intercooled) Tech.”

I have no intention to be around long enough to see the end of the “HA vs IC’d” debates between the 6 or so HA owners that still choose to work on these cars, and others. JMHO.

Disagree all you'd like, that's your priviledge (and it was nicely done, thank you!) But-- Just a short answer to your 'understanding of hot-air tech'. Had you been on this board in the late '90's and early 00's, you'd remember that a great deal of what went on in this neck of the Buick neighborhood, was that a great many hot-air owners were trying to figure out how to put a damn intercooler on these things! We had guys trying to build manifolds, adapters, and whatever else might work. I also remember WFO was one of the first to successfully put an IC on one of these.

The IC car owners get to do anything and everything with their cars without fear of breaking some IC 'code of ethics'. Sticking Stage II blocks under the under the hood to make lots more HP is just fine. But sticking an intercooler in a hot-air car for the same reason is a no-no? There's not a lot of difference there. But that's just MY opinion...

I agree this thread was supposed to be aimed at Hot air's not "Why I bought a hot air that I'm now converting to an intercooled set up" (thus the name hot air (nonintercooled) tech) This is the reason a lot of us no longer post, too many idiots come on here and go off about stuff that has absolutely no value. Really??? If you have nothing to offer but immature quotes you end up deleting, why are you here?

As far as people wanting to put intercooler in their hot airs, I recall far more people 12 years back interested in seeing how far they could push the hot air set ups. Yes intercooled cars have advantages but the true hobbiest takes their set up and makes it their own. I think what needs to be remembered this was started (the hot air section) to seek out and find advise and direction on making a hot air fast, fun or just reliable, based on what the owner was looking to do.

Remember it's going Fast with Class, too bad somepeople have no class.

They remain a Hot-Air '84/'85 Turbo Regal

I see this as a community.

No need to get wrapped around an axle on it IMO.

I caught grief for putting a nitrous bottle in mine... I chuckle about it. :biggrin: Nitrous was looked upon as being a no no item. :biggrin:

I still consider myself a Newbe....maybe I am...maybe I'm not...IDK. Here is my take on the HA section: This is where I started on TB.com. If it weren't for all the "hot air purists" (you know who you are), I wouldn't have my GN on the road. It would prolly be in a junk yard somewhere. The members that (used to :rolleyes:) frequent this section have gotten frustrated with all the "how do I convert my"....BS, and have all but left the board. I completely understand their points.....HOWEVER, I don't fully agree with their decisions. i.e.: "everyone wants to convert their HA's to IC's, so I am just gonna stop posting in the HA section...I mean, what's the point, right?" The point is: IF YOU ALL LEAVE AND QUIT POSTING, PEOPLE LIKE ME, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE OTHER NEWBE'S WILL HAVE NOBODY TO LEAN ON FOR ADVISE!!!!!!!!! IMO you are just compounding the issue of people giving up on the HA setup, and converting them...since there isn't anyone here to look to for help. Trust me, if I had more knowledge on how to make the HA's faster, I'd give it...but I'm still trying to learn.
The other issue I see in the HA section: Everyone is so DAMN secretive with their setups and the info on what works, and what doesn't. All anyone will ever say is: "TUNE, TUNE, TUNE!!" "Don't waste your $$$ on performance parts!!" "It takes alot of $$$ to make a HA go fast."

That seems to be all that people will say....IDK? Maybe it's just me?

I will prolly get blasted for giving my .02....and for having an IC car too...but at the end of it all, I can promise you that the 85 GN I saved from the crusher will ALWAYS be a Hot Air...

---Keith

I won't blast you Keith. I've been posting what I've been doing for a reason. There's no frigging info for the carb guys out there! Granted that it's a slightly different system but it still works on the same principle and we need to work together to make them work better. Pete bailing on us is just wrong, period. I understand his frustration but if you give up then what will happen?

I still consider myself a Newbe....maybe I am...maybe I'm not...IDK. Here is my take on the HA section: This is where I started on TB.com. If it weren't for all the "hot air purists" (you know who you are), I wouldn't have my GN on the road. It would prolly be in a junk yard somewhere. The members that (used to :rolleyes:) frequent this section have gotten frustrated with all the "how do I convert my"....BS, and have all but left the board. I completely understand their points.....HOWEVER, I don't fully agree with their decisions. i.e.: "everyone wants to convert their HA's to IC's, so I am just gonna stop posting in the HA section...I mean, what's the point, right?" The point is: IF YOU ALL LEAVE AND QUIT POSTING, PEOPLE LIKE ME, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE OTHER NEWBE'S WILL HAVE NOBODY TO LEAN ON FOR ADVISE!!!!!!!!! IMO you are just compounding the issue of people giving up on the HA setup, and converting them...since there isn't anyone here to look to for help. Trust me, if I had more knowledge on how to make the HA's faster, I'd give it...but I'm still trying to learn.
The other issue I see in the HA section: Everyone is so DAMN secretive with their setups and the info on what works, and what doesn't. All anyone will ever say is: "TUNE, TUNE, TUNE!!" "Don't waste your $$$ on performance parts!!" "It takes alot of $$$ to make a HA go fast."

That seems to be all that people will say....IDK? Maybe it's just me?

I will prolly get blasted for giving my .02....and for having an IC car too...but at the end of it all, I can promise you that the 85 GN I saved from the crusher will ALWAYS be a Hot Air...

---Keith

THANK YOU! People like me who are still learning need you old experienced folk to help us out!

fuked up boost problems

i have an hot air 85 type t . when i crank it up its sounds as if it has a 278 cam in it. and when you pull off it pops up through the turbo/ intake and when you half or wot it pulls good when you do it then you can feel the damn car nose dive in the front a little as if it has lost all of the damn boost . some vacuum lines were jerry rigged and it is sometimes hard to start up and it smells like it is burning rich. damn can anyone shed some light on this situation before i go bald scratching my head or grow gray hair? :confused::confused::eek:

some vacuum lines were jerry rigged and it is sometimes hard to start up and it smells like it is burning rich. damn can anyone shed some light on this situation before i go bald scratching my head or grow gray hair? :confused::confused::eek:

I'd definitely go through the vacuum lines and check for leaks. Don't know if that's the problem, but it's a start.