Roll cage pics please????

gnon18s

Trying to decide if I want to do a cage. My body is off the frame and the interior is out currently so I figured if im doing it now mite be a good time. Im curious how people are going through the floor to the frame? Do you just seam seal around the cage when it passes through the sheetmetal? After doing some welding on the trunk floor I won't even consider welding a cage to that thin sheetmetal (not even on a 6"x6" plate). Its either frame or nothing. .....Pics please!!!

Should be able to do a search there have been many fine threads of quality installs.
Yes you need to cut the floor a min of 4" dia and pass the cage thru to the frame, the frame is weak as hell also and can use some boxing.
This is the only legal way to cage a full framed car.
Keep the pc cut out , punch a hole matching cage diameter in the center, then split it in half and weld back in in, or make new panels, more clearance is better but don't go crazy.
For a single hoop cage, 4-6 point, you need 1.75" dia tube, for an 8-12 point you may go with 1.625" which is less obtrusive, but also more jungle gym to work around for a daily driver.

Should be able to do a search there have been many fine threads of quality installs.
Yes you need to cut the floor a min of 4" dia and pass the cage thru to the frame, the frame is weak as hell also and can use some boxing.
This is the only legal way to cage a full framed car.
Keep the pc cut out , punch a hole matching cage diameter in the center, then split it in half and weld back in in, or make new panels, more clearance is better but don't go crazy.
For a single hoop cage, 4-6 point, you need 1.75" dia tube, for an 8-12 point you may go with 1.625" which is less obtrusive, but also more jungle gym to work around for a daily driver.
my old cage
PDRM0037.JPG

Attachments

• PDRM0039.JPG
    PDRM0039.JPG
    445.4 KB · Views: 523
  • PDRM0038.JPG
    PDRM0038.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 572
You must go to the frame or you peeing in the wind...When adding the cage,you loose the front seat reclining an adjustment,just a heads-up. Can't remember the thread but i swiped these photo's when i did my cage pics search couple months ago.This was the closest to the int. body i found, I was looking for stealth.
.IMG_00201-16-12 cage pics.JPGIMG_00211-16-12 cage pics.JPGIMG_00291-16-12 cage pics.JPGIMG_00411-16-12 cage pics.JPGMain%20Hoop%20Autocad%2011-16-12 cage pics.JPGMain%20Hoop%20Autocad%2021-16-12 cage pics.JPG

There's other photo's on the thread i found these,but this all i needed to know
Enjoy!

there you go again hellbozo

why do you loose the adjustment of the seat ??

i have mine fully adjustable with a power seat ,
granted i cant lay the seat back and roll gangsta style like the boys in the hood but thats ok because i dont roll that way

there you go again hellbozo

why do you loose the adjustment of the seat ??

i have mine fully adjustable with a power seat ,
granted i cant lay the seat back and roll gangsta style like the boys in the hood but thats ok because i dont roll that way

thats cause you aint gangsta, pacecarta :)

If your seat backs not mounted to the crossbar of the main hoop,the Harness will gillitien you if break seat bolts,I had a 9.90 legal 73 camaro,you get fitted in seating.alot of track ruels have lighted up over the years, I'm over 6 foot,Far from granma knuckles,lol, so the seat has to be Way Back...8^)

for the record
no lax on my local tech
NHRA dictates if an aftermarket seat is used it must be rear braced , stock its not required

im not saying an aftermarket seat is a bad idea but plenty of cars still running stock seats with a bar and within the rules

requiring a support does not mean that the seat can be adjustable , many ways to make the support bar adjustable and still meet the rules

and camaro seat brackets sucked , broke plenty with 4speeds in 2nd gen trans ams , add the rust factor from ttops and they were marginal at best

Someone had a thread on here a few years back about their cage install. I think it was a shop up in the New England area. It was really killer. It fit in the interior so well. I would like to find it again and get their info for a future project...thats getting underway.
If anyone remembers this, please post.

Thanks
Coach

GN1.jpg

Tech tip...Keeps stock belts for street harness for strip...lapbelts pn 5 point use same holes and factory belts except with quick disconnect eyelets!

-Dan W