roll bar

Most people are looking for a bar to get pass tech inspection for T&T. I doubt there are too many GN's racing NHRA sanctioned events on this board. I would race in the World series (NHRA event) at Cordova with my Camaro and tech was about the same....They looked under the car for those events tho.
A bar will get you far at the tracks I have been to.

With that said, I am installing a 6 point chro-mo in the TTA for my safety, not to just pass tech.

Same situation here.
I'm in the same boat as both of you . They haven't told me to slow down or get a bar yet , and that was running 11.0 @ 124 with a flaring trans , old converter and boost at 24 psi . Now with a new trans & converter from Dave Husek & 28 psi of boost & 2-step , I know I'll get the boot without a bar . Keep us posted with pics . Sam

Didn't someone just have a bar put in by Cotton's & posted pics ?? I remember seeing them but can't find them .

I've seen pics of his work, and it looks top notch. Though, shipping a rusty t type to Massachusetts is not an option for me right now. My local chassis guy, who is currently overwhelmed with work, told me if I can tig weld aluminum, I can do the cage. In the end, I'll have the cost of the kit, a tank of argon, and a few filler rods invested in the job.

I enjoyed having a bar in my Gn. it tied everything together with a noticeable effect, also keeps your ass in the seat a lot better than the stock seatbelt. Oh, and its fun to watch a broad hop over the bar with a skirt on.

My roll bar was probably the very first or maybe the second bar done at cottons performance many many years ago. Brian was a little kid and worked together with his uncle on building my set-up. I still have it in this configuration. Things are a little different today. But I still get a lot of comments on how well it fits and how "un-butchered" my interior is.

Times have changed. If I could do it again, I'm certain he and I can come together to build the baddest ass street cage in the country.

image.jpg
image.jpeg
Well, the kit came Christmas Eve. Very nice kit, and well thought out. Started cutting out the areas in the trunk and inside floor board. Looks like it won't be a direct fit in my car after all. My wh1 is a CF5 moonroof car, so I actually cut about 1 1/2" off the bottoms, and it's still too tight against the headliner. My plan is to cut holes in the frame enough that the bar will slide down in.

The shorter main hoop is gonna change the geometry of the rest of the cage. At first glance, looks like the rear bars won't clear the sheetmetal around the speaker holes. Once I tack the main hoop in place, I'll be able to tell for sure. I'll update with pics as I go.

Hey Turbotimmer, it looks nice. Why do you have to alter the length of bars because of the roof? Did it come with instructions, thanks Gene.

Hey Turbotimmer, it looks nice. Why do you have to alter the length of bars because of the roof? Did it come with instructions, thanks Gene.

The power moonroof makes the headroom about 1 1/2" -2" shorter. I didn't even think about it when I ordered, although I'm sure they don't offer a kit for a moonroof or t top car. They do come with instructions, but they really only tell you where to cut the floor.

image.jpeg
I ended up cutting holes in the frame with my plasma cutter. Rough cut a little smaller than the 1 3/4", then cleaned the hole up with a carbide burr. I had to slightly bend the fuel lines on both sides do I could slide the bar down all the way through the frame to the bottom of the rail. This will help later.

You can see that the car had a little wiring issue with the speakers. Lol. My stepbrother never mentioned anything, so this must have happened before his ownership.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

With both sides ready to go, I was able to adjust the height and get it level. Then I tacked both sides.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Almost forgot, wild rides doesn't weld the crossbar in solid. They basically tacked it at both sides. I measured it at both sides to verify it was parallel with the top bar, and finish welded it. I also welded and gussetted a 3/16" tab for the 5 point harness.