Rocker shaft bolts... angry face!!

BoostedTtype

I recently performed a head gasket replacement on my 87T and have been having issues with the passenger side rocker shaft bolts coming loose.. The drivers side seem to be fine but the passenger side bolts keep backing out.. Ive tried washers and threadlock.. Ive tried 25lbs 35lbs and 40lbs,, After driving the car they seem to always back out.. It just seems to be the outer two.. They center seems to stay torqued down. Ive been dealing with this issue for a month now... Any suggestions....

I'm guessing you don't have rocker shaft supports and stock shafts. The reason that's my guess is because without the rocker saddles, you have a 'flat' holding down a 'round'. With such small foot print the shaft can collapse a little and take the tension off the bolt.

If you look closely at the shaft next time you have the bolts out, you'll probably see a depression on both sides of the hole running parallel to the centerline of the shaft.

Everything is stock.. Ive never noticed a flat spot on the shaft... I will check it Today

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Have you verified that the bolts turned counter clockwise from vibration, failure, etc.? Or are the bolts found to be loose and we don't know if they have turned CCW?

Paul Lohr

You might check those particular bolt bosses and make sure there are no hairline cracks...

Have you verified that the bolts turned counter clockwise from vibration, failure, etc.? Or are the bolts found to be loose and we don't know if they have turned CCW?

Paul Lohr
I cant say for sure that they are
"Backing" out but it seems that way..

You might check those particular bolt bosses and make sure there are no hairline cracks...

You mean cracks in the head where the bolts thread in?

Sent from my N861 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app