RJC DP fit and puck alignment.

Mini

Looking for advise on RJC pipe fit and puck alignment....the pipe hits inner fender well and frame when installed, no room for adjustment at housing. Next issue seems to null and void "clocking" the pipe/turbo because the oversize puck barely covers my turbo wastgate hole (PT 6265dbb, unported hole) on the front side (approx. 1/16"). My stock housing puck lined up perfectly with wastegate. I borrowed a used THDP and it fits perfectly on car....help...

Attachments

• image-3635057519.jpg
    image-3635057519.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 209
Mini said:
Looking for advise on RJC pipe fit and puck alignment....the pipe hits inner fender well and frame when installed, no room for adjustment at housing. Next issue seems to null and void "clocking" the pipe/turbo because the oversize puck barely covers my turbo wastgate hole (PT 6265dbb, unported hole) on the front side (approx. 1/16"). My stock housing puck lined up perfectly with wastegate. I borrowed a used THDP and it fits perfectly on car....help...

Sorry, stock motor mounts are "good"

After you put the bolts in the turbo and before they are tight, you should be able to clock the down pipe a bit to miss the frame. If not I would look at the motor mounts, they have some tweak room, when using the HR Parts-n-stuff type http://hrpartsandstuff.com/ .
Also a old trick, is to slightly open the holes up in the down pipe mounting flange, so you are able to "clock" the down pipe even more.
As far as the puck alignment, it's covering the hole, should not be a issue. If you ever port your hole, you can see which way to go.

Chuck

You will need to elongate the holes on the flange so that you can you can twist is clockwise. Get yourself a 1/4" die grinding bit for this. Did you use to have an external wastegate? If your hole is not lining up with the puck then that one of the reason. What you do to fix this is that you need to call Jason and order his plate that is made to fix this issue. Now you will have to drill a new whole in the plate to match your puck.

Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

I bought the same pipe, I had all the same three problems you have, trim the inner fender, used a c clamp and some heat to fix the pipe hitting the frame, and for the brutal puck to wastegate hole alignment, I had to enlarge the flange holes some, was able to get the alignment just a bit better, very unhappy You pay good money for what everyone say's is a good fitting pipe and U get shi@##$%t!!!!!! I also tried three different turbos same result. Motor mounts are good and stock headers.

Listen guys!!!! Do what I just said. It will fix the issue. Now if you want to go and bend you DP... Good luck on trying ever to sale it.... And you would.go and cut up your car, a car that they done make parts for and hard to get parts for... All I will say with that. Do as what I said and be happy. These cars don't need to be cobbled up!

Seconly... Stock motor mounts are never good when you race the car. HR motor mounts are needed. Unless you like knock caused by vibration!!!

I bought the same pipe, I had all the same three problems you have, trim the inner fender, used a c clamp and some heat to fix the pipe hitting the frame, and for the brutal puck to wastegate hole alignment, I had to enlarge the flange holes some, was able to get the alignment just a bit better, very unhappy You pay good money for what everyone say's is a good fitting pipe and U get shi@##$%t!!!!!! I also tried three different turbos same result. Motor mounts are good and stock headers.

I have installed many RJC downpipes, and most of them bolt up and are good to go. :)

So if you have an original, stock GN and you are having these issues, you have a right to complain. But if the car has had multiple owners and mods, the problem is most likely NOT the pipe, but something that was changed on the car over the past 25 years?

These pipes are built on a fixture to close tolerances, so it make sense that fitment on a 25 year old car could be more difficult in some cases.

I have done the pro-type work on the RJC DP and others as well, and installed many different makes of DP over the years, and the different headers, turbo exhaust housings, motor and trans mounts and other factors affect the close fitting of the DP.

Since 95% of the RJC pipes fit easily, this means the rest of the cars have had something done along the years to make installation difficult.

Actually RJC has elongated the bolt holes on the flange for the next batch of downpipes to give better flexibility on the installation.

On a similar note, the TA headers also have elongated holes so the turbo can be rotated for pipe fitment as well.

Have been following this thread and thought I'd post a picture of the "elongated" holes or slotted holes in the TA Performance Header Turbo 3 Bolt Mounting Flange.

These slots will allow you to "clock" your turbo & DP to fit.

I got these pics from another member who was kind enough to send them to me, as I was installing an older set of TA Headers that did not incorporate this and wanted to be sure I would have some adjustability in them to ensure a good fit.

Mission accomplished and the fit like a glove.

dave

TA Headers slotted 3 bolt flange.jpg

Chriss4655,

Good luck with the DP, let us know how you make out, it may help someone else down the road.

Chuck

All of us have different headers,turbos,motor mounts,and exhaust systems. Givin that i dont think its fair to throw RJC or any other vendor under the bus because their product requires effort to install.

All the input definately appreciated. Had daily driver issues etc. No chance to get at car. I think I'm going to require both flange mods. No throwing anyone undet bus, we just need mods known for ease of install...

I was scared about the puck alignment deal. My car has been at Janis Transmissions for about a month. I just installed my RJC pipe before it left. I havent boosted it. My pipe is very close on the frame, but clears the A arm by a mile. My flanges are totally unmodified. I installed the rear engine brace RJC makes to keep it from touching. Well after picking up the car, I boosted it. My controller is turned all the way down, and I have a high boost actuator on it. I got about 19lbs and over a 1/4mile blast, it crept to about 21. I figure once I get it set at 25, the creep will go away, but the controller is totally loose and couldnt hold it that low, its not made to. So I guess my puck is OK on alignment.

When you make your adjustments to your holes, use a carbide burr on a die grinder and "Kidney Bean" shape them about an additional half hole each way. Dont just go the next biggest drill bit. Without the proper washers, just opening the holes will weaken your seal. It wont tighten as good. You dont want the bolt to wobble around in the hole, you want it a good fit, but be able to rotate it. If your not exactly sure of what I am talking about, i'll draw a little sketch and post it.

Good luck with your fixes.

i also bought that non fitting DP !!!!! Do not take your chances on getting a good one . Look else where .