Reverse lights

TOOMANYTOYS

I was wondering how the reverse lights on my 87 are activated. Are they activated by the steering column or a switch on the trans? Reason for asking is I can't get my reverse lights to work

Do they work at all ?like when your shifting from park to reverse .

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Dumb question, are the bulbs any good?an no lights shifting threw all gears?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

They are activated by a switch in the column which is moved by a mechanical linkage. Could have any number of problems. If the mechanical linkage that moves the switch is removed you will have no reverse lights, and the ability to remove the car from park without the keys, as well as the ability to start the car in any gear.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

They are activated by a switch in the column which is moved by a mechanical linkage. Could have any number of problems. If the mechanical linkage that moves the switch is removed you will have no reverse lights, and the ability to remove the car from park without the keys, as well as the ability to start the car in any gear.

To elaborate, the switch on the column is activated by the column shift linkage, which is still on the cars despite the console shifter. It's just driving from the transmission side by the console shift cable. It's a metal bar running from a bracket next to the transmission up to the steering column on the driver side of the engine. If it's gone, that's your issue.

If somebody removed that linkage (for header clearance, for instance) then nothing is moving the column switch anymore. If the linkage is still there, then the column switch is likely bad.
The switch is a white crescent shaped doohickey on the top side of the steering column about five inches from the firewall under the dash. It's a real pain to get to. My advice would be to pull the instrument panel so you can at least see it from the top while you try to replace it.

If the problem is actually the missing linkage, you can correct it with a few switches, some wire, a rivet gun, and some ingenuity:
IMG_0488.JPG

Are you still running the stock shifter or an aftermarket? On my aftermarket Megashifter I had to run a simple NOS micro switch so that whenever it was put into reverse, the lights come on. Took a few tries to get it correct.

Ok it seems that the link bar is gone. With the car running I slowly rotated the collar on the column but the lights never came on. Both sockets are good and bulbs are new. Guess it's time to make a switch

I am sure that there are many locations to get a switch, my local speed shop ( almost a thing of the past now :() had them in stock. They can also be rigged into a theft deterrent if you think outside the box.

Ok it seems that the link bar is gone. With the car running I slowly rotated the collar on the column but the lights never came on. Both sockets are good and bulbs are new. Guess it's time to make a switch
Are you saying the linkage is missing? Are you able to take the car out of park without the keys? This means the car will also start in gear. I wouldn't advise leaving the car in this unsafe / easy to steal manner.

I couldn't agree with you more. I do have another problem though. It seems as the tab on the steering column that the link attaches to isn't there

I am sure that there are many locations to get a switch, my local speed shop ( almost a thing of the past now :() had them in stock. They can also be rigged into a theft deterrent if you think outside the box.

I got my switches from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W1VK9VG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

achalmersman said:
Are you saying the linkage is missing? Are you able to take the car out of park without the keys? This means the car will also start in gear. I wouldn't advise leaving the car in this unsafe / easy to steal manner.

it's unavoidable with certain exhausts. I left the link bar in when I put my headers on, and it rubbed the back primary tube a bit... until it bound up and I ripped the shift cable apart in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. That sucked. Not recommended.

It is possible to use the setup in my picture and wire the park switch in to prevent starting the car if it's not in park.