Rev limit on valve springs?

Clark6

How high can you safely and continuously rev 135lb. beehive valve springs on GN-1 Heads with a 212 cam?
I'm seeing 5700-5900 on the top end in 3rd and was wondering if this is safe or not? Also wondering what what is the rev limit sat on with a TT chip? (Rocker ratio and everything else is in signature)

Attachments

• EBAY 002.jpg
    EBAY 002.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 413
There is no reason to be over 5700 unless you are running quicker than 10 teens. If you arent that fast id look at the converter slip and gearing. If you are then id bump the seat pressure up a little. If you need more pressure i can supply you with a set of springs that will get you 160+ on the seat and give recs on installed height.

How high can you safely and continuously rev 135lb. beehive valve springs on GN-1 Heads with a 212 cam?
I'm seeing 5700-5900 on the top end in 3rd and was wondering if this is safe or not? Also wondering what what is the rev limit sat on with a TT chip? (Rocker ratio and everything else is in signature)

Hmmm, continuously... Strange way to state this, are you running on a circle track?

I asked Eric about the rev limit in his chips (my old 5.4 was set at 6200), he no longer puts any rev limit in them. :eek:

Hmmm, continuously... Strange way to state this, are you running on a circle track?

I asked Eric about the rev limit in his chips (my old 5.4 was set at 6200), he no longer puts any rev limit in them. :eek:

There shouldnt be any limit. Too many run alky injection and having the fuel cut out and the alky stay on is a lot worse.

ok, S-10 GN not continuously what was I thinking. Just on a brisk run........I have the 5.6 chip so no rev limit I guess I was just wondering if the 135 springs could handle 6000 rpm if it ever goes that high & would I hurt anything.

Bison you say the gearing what about tire height? I have 28" Tall tires, and noticed on a few street logs that I'm 5600 on some pulls (in 4th), If i leave it in 3rd It has gone to 5800-5900 yesterday.

I went out and checked rear tire pressure on the drag radial and one had 8lbs. the other had 10lbs. of air in them. As a matter of fact EVERY vehicle in my yard has low air pressure in the tires, my truck dropped from 35 to 26, my wife's car did the same.

I guess I have to check more regular with the cold weather. I wonder if I put 25 psi back in the drag radial will that make my rpm's go back down a 100 or so on a 4th gear run? That's the only thing I can think of.

5500-5700 Is where I was usually at; at least last year I was.

I am pretty sure the pressure in your tires will get lower as it gets colder. Pressure decreases as temperature decrease. Its a direct relationship.

ok, S-10 GN not continuously what was I thinking. Just on a brisk run........I have the 5.6 chip so no rev limit I guess I was just wondering if the 135 springs could handle 6000 rpm if it ever goes that high & would I hurt anything.

Bison you say the gearing what about tire height? I have 28" Tall tires, and noticed on a few street logs that I'm 5600 on some pulls (in 4th), If i leave it in 3rd It has gone to 5800-5900 yesterday.

I went out and checked rear tire pressure on the drag radial and one had 8lbs. the other had 10lbs. of air in them. As a matter of fact EVERY vehicle in my yard has low air pressure in the tires, my truck dropped from 35 to 26, my wife's car did the same.

I guess I have to check more regular with the cold weather. I wonder if I put 25 psi back in the drag radial will that make my rpm's go back down a 100 or so on a 4th gear run? That's the only thing I can think of.

the tires in yr sig are not 28". You should still be able to trap 137-138 under 6000 rpm I the converter is working. Radials don't change much with air pressure or road speed. There is some difference but not much. You shouldn't need 4th either. Your converter needs attention.

the tires in yr sig are not 28". You should still be able to trap 137-138 under 6000 rpm I the converter is working. Radials don't change much with air pressure or road speed. There is some difference but not much. You shouldn't need 4th either. Your converter needs attention.

Don't mean to hijack but you comment got me thinking...

I just checked my xfi log and at 5950 rpm (shifter left in 3rd) i was at 121mph this is with a 342 gear and 28 in tall tire (275/60/15) Am I overpowering my converter??

200r4 with and art car 16930

Clark6....those rpms were with the same heads springs and rockers as you have...

1st oops.jpg

Did some more looking at the log...i went over 6 in first oops? so yeah they can do it...call was still pulling at that rpm...the whole run felt good...i have a stage right brake so thats the rpm the trans wanted to shift at while it was in second...

Don't mean to hijack but you comment got me thinking...

I just checked my xfi log and at 5950 rpm (shifter left in 3rd) i was at 121mph this is with a 342 gear and 28 in tall tire (275/60/15) Am I overpowering my converter??

200r4 with and art car 16930

Clark6....those rpms were with the same heads springs and rockers as you have...
Thats a terrible converter coupling efficiency. If you have 27.3" MT DR's the slip is 16.8%. If you have a true 28" its 19.8%. Running a PTC 9.5" in your instance is likely worth 3-4mph and you will drop the trap rpm by about 500rpm. The car will 330' better too.

Great...more stuff to buy...:mad:

Thanks for the heads up...

-Dan
You will get more road horsepower out of the converter swap than any other modification at this point. Where can you spend under $1k and pick up almost 5mph without adding power?

bison, I hear what you are saying but I am in desperate need of a better fuel system as well and we all know what that is going to cost that's all I meant...

Maybe ill get a different converter and just turn the boost down to keep motor safe... should still pick up id imagine...
suggestions on stall? I think the 19930 i have right now is 3600

-Dan

bison, I hear what you are saying but I am in desperate need of a better fuel system as well and we all know what that is going to cost that's all I meant...

Maybe ill get a different converter and just turn the boost down to keep motor safe... should still pick up id imagine...
suggestions on stall? I think the 19930 i have right now is 3600

-Dan
Id get the converter and turn the boost down. You will be able to run faster at a lower boost anyway if you get a PTC 9.5". Keep in mind the converter wont be ideal if you get it built to run in a 600hp application and run it at 500hp. The custom PTC converters arent sold by stall speed.

Thats cool cause I went 11.33 @ 121.52 that run with some boost issues and only maxxing out at 18...once I can fix those issues and be able to put some fuel to it so I can get the boost to around 25 like Ii want, it will fly!!!

The boost follows rpm (is in it drops to 15 after the shift and then creeps up to 18 as the rpms climb) but I have done some wastegate mounting adjustments to give the rod a better angle and some major wastegate hole porting and stuff along those lines....

-dan

man what streets are you hitting 5600 in 4th ?? i would hope it's highway