Reusing Cometic head gaskets

stickybones

What?
For those who have reused Cometic head gaskets, did you clean the Viton coating off and reapply anything before reuse? I have some used Cometics that also have a supplemental spray coat of Hylomar on them. I want to clean them up and put them away in case I ever need them in the future. Does an off-the-shelf gasket remover solvent dissolve the hylomar and viton sealant to get the gaskets to bare metal? Mineral spirits doesn't work to break this stuff down.

Thanks
Mike

I just cleaned mine the best I could and sprayed them with copper spray...No issues so far, that was last winter.

clean

I would not clean the hylomar unless is dirtied up in any way - just spray over top of it with cooper spay and that should do the trick - I am sure others can and will chime in on this one .:cool:.

i was going to reuse mine after i broke the #3 piston..i cleaned it up and i found a hair line crack on the thick middle layer...it was on the #3 cylinder..i will be buying new ones..if you had some detonation i would check them good...Comectics are good but not indestructable.................Bob