replacing VDO gauges

berserker6

Assistant to the regional manager
any suggestions or personal experiences with something other than VDO? i don't like their lighting or how they look. performance wise they're fine. i saw a brand called glowshift that looked great but im not familiar with them. yes im trying to spruce up the interior ( let the flaming begin). a recall button would be good for boost/fuel pressure. and pics would be helpful. thanks yall

Which VDO's are you using? I replaced my cockpit series with the vision series gauges and love them. Even have green backlighting to match the OEM dash & radio. Much cheaper than that ugly, overpriced Autometer crap too.

Which VDO's are you using? I replaced my cockpit series with the vision series gauges and love them. Even have green backlighting to match the OEM dash & radio. Much cheaper than that ugly, overpriced Autometer crap too.

the VDOs were in the car when i bought it. just plain white faced with crappy white lighting at night. and some are angled where you can see the lighting on the inside of the ring. just looking for alternatives.

thanks sixster. anyone else? i appreciate the fact that our cars being as old as they are now arent far behind if any from the newer cars in terms of technology. and i want a set of gauges that reflects that. form and function. spruce up the interior, especially at night.

Here's a pic of the VDO Vision series I have. Originally had the Cockpit series, switched to these. Much better... ;)

Attachments

• DSC02258 100%.jpg
    DSC02258 100%.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 446
newb question here. but do you need a transducer for the peak and hold feature on some of the gauges ive looked at? it seems as if you do

Here's a pic of the VDO Vision series I have. Originally had the Cockpit series, switched to these. Much better... ;)

I'm switching mine over from Cockpit to vision as well.... the cockpit vac/boost gauge is so dim it's impossible to read at night!

I have been looking at the glowshift for a while. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I boost recall feture would be nice.

I replaced my VDO boost gauge with a autometer comp II and like it so much i got the oil pressure an water temp to put in the console gauge.

This is a crappy pic with my phone .. looks better in person and very easy to read.

sportcompIIboostgauge.jpg

I have been looking at the glowshift for a while. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I boost recall feture would be nice.

and recall for fuel pressure is sweet. being able to hit recall after a blast would be nice (for those not logging)

I replaced my VDO boost gauge with a autometer comp II and like it so much i got the oil pressure an water temp to put in the console gauge.

This is a crappy pic with my phone .. looks better in person and very easy to read.

sportcompIIboostgauge.jpg

does look nice. but again no recall

So did I :D...Except that I chose to go with the "Carbon Fiber" series (see pic below)...I now have a boost and fuel pressure gauge on the windshield post and water temp and oil pressure in the console...

and:
David65 said:
Here's a pic of the VDO Vision series I have. Originally had the Cockpit series, switched to these. Much better...
David, before going to Auto Meter gauges, I've had VDO gauges for over 22 years in my GN and frankly, I don't see the difference between the ones I had and the ones you posted...Maybe it's me, I dunno...:redface:

Claude. :wink:

On the sublect of gauges, if you were starting with none, and have a scanmaster which indicates certain values like volts, water temp, ect. which ones would you get? Boost, interior fuel pressure, what? I saw Grumpy post recently he only ran a few, and specifically said not to run an oil pressure gauge "if your the nervous type". I have two current options, a 3 gauge pillar pod and one of Scot's new 3 gauge pod that sits next to the side of the dash on top of the radio. I like the boost/fuel pillar arrangement above, it's in the line of sight as opposed to looking down.

I like the boost/fuel pillar arrangement above, it's in the line of sight as opposed to looking down.

John, I must say that I look at the gauges mostly while driving on the street, not going down the track. Everything is happening so fast in a 9 sec. car that I prefer watching where I'm going! This is also the main reason why I installed a shift light to know when to shift without having to look down at a tach (I don't even have one...) or any other gauge. As far as the gauges having a "peak/hold" or "recall" feature, I don't need any as the FAST XFI records every parameter of each run I make. :wink:

Claude. :)

Thanks for the insight Claude, I was referring to street use and not track use, but no mention was made of which gauges are "necessary". Lol, I have neither a 9 second car nor XFI.