Replacement of stock pistons without spending a grand and changing everything?

GNVAIR

I have been accumulating parts to put my original engine back together. Unfortunately the cylinders have nice ridges at the top. As such, it looks like it will need to be bored. I am looking for a set of pistons that could be considered a good replacement for stock. Keep in mind this will be an engine with a stock cam and other stock items and not an all out engine that it seems everyone typically builds.

Not possible,
If your talking just the piston cost, there are plenty of deals on pistons second hand.
I bought a new set of JE with rings and pins for $500.
You will still have to balance the crank.
I'm not sure what you mean about changing everything..

Not possible,
If your talking just the piston cost, there are plenty of deals on pistons second hand.
I bought a new set of JE with rings and pins for $500.
You will still have to balance the crank.
I'm not sure what you mean about changing everything..
I just don't want to get into replacing the whole rotating assembly to just replace pistons.
So I gather that unless the piston is not a higher end JE, CP, Diamond or Wiseco that anything else is not recommended?

You can resue the stock internals as they're incredibly durable. Be sure to get the rods, block and crank magnafluxed...and I recommend getting the rotating assemly balanced. It's only a couple of bucks more. Happy spooling!

I just don't want to get into replacing the whole rotating assembly to just replace pistons.
So I gather that unless the piston is not a higher end JE, CP, Diamond or Wiseco that anything else is not recommended?

Let me start over.
Cheap pistons are not as common second hand but they are out there.
You could look for a used set of TRW style stock replacement pistons but they will most likely be .030 over. for about $100 if your lucky.
I bought some last year. I think this is what you are looking for.
JE and Diamond are more common second and that was my point.
Most shelf pistons are made low compression but everyone is going high compression so there are a lot of used pistons out there available.
Therefor I would never pay full price for a cheap piston.

In the real world, it's fine to replace a set of pistons that aren't the exact same weight as stock.

Going lighter with the slugs will just make the engine a little more over-balanced. That's not the end of the world.

That being said, I can make you a custom set of nice forged slugs that won't require you to bore the block.

But they aren't walmart items so it won't be same day shipping

Dude, it's been said here before. There is SOOO much more.

You can start here, as has been suggested, but you are far, far away from doing it right.

Rock Auto has what you are looking for..... Right now.

I wish you Good Luck.