Replacement Fuel Tank Suggestions?

turbo96max

so i getting around to dropping in new dw300's in the car and my tank has some dirt/flakes inside. the baffle is all good but im thinking of replacing it bc of the particles inside. Any one have any feedback on prior experience on replacement tanks?

I see some say the baffles are steel welded?
Some are like 135, 160, 200 shipped on ebay. I cant see too much deviation in product so wondering if any of you guys can offer any insight?

Or do i flush mines out and call it a day?

I am privy to all the different tanks being offered. I am using one that is made in taiwan by a company named LT. It has a steel welded in baffle. I am using two DW301s. Not an issue at all and the price is right. You can opt to a spectra, which is not any better that the others and pay additional if you wish. They have always been assholes so I dont support them.

I'd flush yours and save the green if it's in good shape. I went new because mine was rough and leaking. It's a Spectra 307C

I didn't risk it , ordered a spectra with welded in baffles. Their supposed premium. Was tempted to gone amine about 35 bucks cheaper but the seller didn't know if the baffles were steel welded or not. Going with 2x dw300s and blue aeroquip hose sections for intank or if I find the right plastic lines I'll order those.

I'm trying to unload a spectra gas tank, unused for local pickup in Nashville if anyone reads this in the future

What part number did you get? any pictures of the baffles? My car came with a new gas tank when i bought it, no baffle in there.

I also have the replacement Spectra Premium with the metal baffles. Metal baffles allow you to powdercoat the tank if you wish. One downside is that I have noticed too much back pressure when filling the tank so it's a little bit of a hassle as I have to hold the nozzle while fueling. Don't know why or if I am an exception but thought I would post my experience FWIW.

peeps dont listen about the spectra stuff lol............ Over priced French Canadian parts and yes it has issues filling. The taiwan stuff is much better and designed like the oem.

I also have the replacement Spectra Premium with the metal baffles. Metal baffles allow you to powdercoat the tank if you wish. One downside is that I have noticed too much back pressure when filling the tank so it's a little bit of a hassle as I have to hold the nozzle while fueling. Don't know why or if I am an exception but thought I would post my experience FWIW.
I have the same filling problem with the Spectra tank in the Caddy pictured in my avatar. Didn't do that with the OEM tank.

This is still in a tech forum. Someone post pics of the inside of the various tanks. I just searched about gas tanks and some of the info posted is really bad in the tech forums. Plenty of engines are damaged because of inadequate baffling and failure to run with a full tank. But reading will let you think the spectra is an ok tank, people it's good for a 110hp NA application. We know the assembly line tank is good to go. GM engineers put the r&d into the factory tank. As usual most cheaper replacement stuff is no where near the same quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peeps dont listen about the spectra stuff lol............ Over priced French Canadian parts and yes it has issues filling. The taiwan stuff is much better and designed like the oem.
A google search turned up nothing for LT tanks. Can you help those of us wondering about these tanks with a link perhaps? Thanks

I'm returning the tank and using my oem unit. Baffles are good just was a little dirty inside and I figured 150 dollar tank can't hurt and it looks better. Gonna wash my oem tank coat it and move on. Thanks for chiming in fellas

A google search turned up nothing for LT tanks. Can you help those of us wondering about these tanks with a link perhaps? Thanks

Sorry, been out of town. Part number is FTK010137. THis is our internal part number which may or may not yield search results out in the interwebs. If you call goodmark, or any lkq or keystone and give them this part number and ask they sell you this part number (not a spectra) you will receive the same exact tank I have. It is a galvaneal steel that is ecoated grey. It comes with a neck that is mandrel bent in a way where it does not prohibit filling properly. We currently have 60 of them in Kansas city DC so ample amounts are available.

This is still in a tech forum. Someone post pics of the inside of the various tanks. I just searched about gas tanks and some of the info posted is really bad in the tech forums. Plenty of engines are damaged because of inadequate baffling and failure to run with a full tank. But reading will let you think the spectra is an ok tank, people it's good for a 110hp NA application. We know the assembly line tank is good to go. GM engineers put the r&d into the factory tank. As usual most cheaper replacement stuff is no where near the same quality.

Are you saying based on pictures in the tech forum, that the spectra 307C (made for FI) is not, and it is a NA non fuel injected tank?

If so I will contact spectra and have them look at their original samples. A spectra 307C should be just as adequate as the OEM. It just has issues filling whereas other brands do not.

I installed a Spectra 307C when I first got my TR. This was a number of yrs ago now (9-10), but I can tell you it had the baffles. I wouldn't have installed it if not. And FWIW, I've never had any fueling issues.......maybe I got lucky.

Are you saying based on pictures in the tech forum, that the spectra 307C (made for FI) is not, and it is a NA non fuel injected tank?

If so I will contact spectra and have them look at their original samples. A spectra 307C should be just as adequate as the OEM. It just has issues filling whereas other brands do not.

I'm saying looking at an assembly line tank and any aftermarket tank I've seen is not even close as a comparison. It's possible that there are some aftermarket tanks that I haven't seen but all the spectra I've seen were unacceptable for a high performance car. I've replaced several spectra tanks with oem tanks. All but one of the cars had multiple head gasket failures and the problems went away after the tank was replaced with an assembly line one. I can't 100% conclude that the tank was the entire problem because the owners didn't log anything but there's a high probability they sucked air in a high g force situation and probably multiple times leading to lean out and problems