Replaced Valve Cover Gaskets & Now Tapping Sound & Fuel Smell

Cryptic

I fought for five hours yesterday to replace the valve cover gaskets. What a huge pain!

I shimmied and forced them in and out and thought things had gone smoothly but was too tired last night to fire her up.

This morning I did and noticed a fuel smell I haven't noticed before and an occasional inconsistent tapping sound like a bad lifter or rocker. The tapping didn't happen immediately but seemed to worsen when I put the car in gear.

Did I damage a rocker? How sensitive are they when you're sliding the valve covers over them? Any reason I would also be smelling fuel?

Last edited:
Check your plug wires first and make sure you didn’t get them mixed up. Kind of sounds like you may have 2 wires mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check your plug wires first and make sure you didn’t get them mixed up. Kind of sounds like you may have 2 wires mixed up.

I suspect you may be right on that. I feel like on the passenger side I may have swapped two wires. I'll check that!

I’m pretty sure that you’re a genius. I was so worried there for a bit.

We have the best community in the world. Thank you! Solved.