Repainting car questions

skidlid

I am thinking of stripping my 86 gn this fall and refinishing it. I am a professional auto body technician since 89 and have run a shop since 2001. A couple questions I have on these cars before I start. Should I over restore the finish, as in color sand it flat or leave some orange peel to match factory? Underside of hood leave base coat not cleared like factory or clearcoat to a shine? Most of the pics of jams seem dull, should I make them as shinny as the rest of the car? I am planning on tearing car all apart and stripping all the paint and painting every thing apart so I have no tape lines. My other question is will this add much to the value of the car in your opinion, ok driver finish now. Has been painted in the past but not up to my standards. They left the old laquer on and painted over it.

I see zero reason to actually leave orange peel in paint purposely. Also left the rock guard off of mine. The jams should be the same as the rest of the car as far as I am concerned. As far as value goes, I think a pristine body and paint is priceless.

Bryan

^^^Agree. No value in trying to make it look original. Most would take a quality repaint over the original. My jams are shiny on my original paint GN. Done right, a repaint adds value. Take lots of pics throughout the process.

I have two TR's
One done with original rock guard and some minimal orange peel. The other is color sanded to a perfect gloss with no rockguard and no orange peel. Both look nice but my preference is no orange peel at all... It looks like glass and makes the other cars it sits next to look like crap (even new cars...)

Take a look at pictures of Spoolfool's car... It is stunning.

Well, I finished refinishing my car today. Started working on it the week before Christmas. I stripped all the paint off. Installed door skins, lower quarters front and back and refinished all the trim. I will try to post some pics, can't get my phone to post pics on this website!

IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
QUARTER.jpg
quarter panel pic

Great paint. I too am a shop owner and painter. I chose to leave the chip guard and a bit of peel in a couple of my Gn's only to save the collector 20 years down the road the cost of having to repaint back to factory specs. But I have two other Gn's slicked out and yes they do look really good.

Thanks to all, I am glad I chose to over restore the paint. It does looks so much better then the correct look when new!

Last edited:
006.JPG
Fender ready to epoxy prime then spray primer surface and block for the first time, then reprime and sand out again to remove coarser scratches of previous sanding.

So where do I drop my car off at.
saving another from the parts pile.

Looks amazing!
What are you guys stripping the paint with?
I did some with aircraft chemical stripper but the majority was done mechanically with a "Mudder". It's a large sander similar to a buffer with 80"grit paper . I do it differently than on tv, I only strip as much in a day that I can get covered in epoxy primer that same day. Leaving the bare metal open to moisture is not a good thing in my opinion. I then apply my body filler over the epoxy primer on most of these parts.