How do I run without my AC compressor?

DARTHV6

I’m pulling my motor out and replacing it with a hopefully faster one. I’m looking at this AC compressor and hoses that don’t work anyway. What do I have to do to remove it and run without it? Is there a kit, extra pulley? I know guys are running without it but I don’t know how.

thanks Art

Dorman makes an ac delete pulley, I got mine through pep boys for about $30. I had to shim it with washers where it mounts to the engine to get it perfectly lined up. Then just run a shorter belt.

Dorman makes an ac delete pulley, I got mine through pep boys for about $30. I had to shim it with washers where it mounts to the engine to get it perfectly lined up. Then just run a shorter belt.
Mike S,
do you know what size belt?
Thanks for the info

Unfortunately I do not recall what belt I used specifically, I did it several years ago. I do remember the local Autozone having the right size though.

Post #1 has belt sizes, post #4 has the dorman part number for the pulley.

There is also the Champion aluminum bracket assembly that can be used. Note that there are two different ones: with P/S and without P/S pump mounting.

RemoveBeforeFlight

This is very helpful. I should be able to do it now! Just as well, right? Thing hasn’t worked in 10 years when I had it charged and it leaked out before I got home. I’ll put it on the shelf until I can figure it out. <wink>

The AC condenser is a heavy pig, definitely worth removing if it is non-functional, particularly considering the low cost and lower drag of the delete pulley.

The AC condenser is a heavy pig, definitely worth removing if it is non-functional, particularly considering the low cost and lower drag of the delete pulley.
Agreed. I hope it’s not too much trouble getting off.

Agreed. I hope it’s not too much trouble getting off.
It is fairly simple to remove. I cut the tube connections off the evaporator and put simple black rubber caps over the stubs to clean up the appearance(vs removing completely). I also used the pulley from Kirban shimmed like MikeS mentions, and used a 63.5 inch belt.

It is fairly simple to remove. I cut the tube connections off the evaporator and put simple black rubber caps over the stubs to clean up the appearance(vs removing completely). I also used the pulley from Kirban shimmed like MikeS mentions, and used a 63.5 inch belt.
Hey Nigel, do you have pictures? That would be nice for this old amateur to see.

First picture shows the delete pulley installed using the bolts that formerly held the condenser in place. Second picture shows me pointing at the 2 washers per side I used between the delete pulley bracket and the mounting tabs on the engine. The alternator is the item at the top of both pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 150
First picture shows the delete pulley installed using the bolts that formerly held the condenser in place. Second picture shows me pointing at the 2 washers per side I used between the delete pulley bracket and the mounting tabs on the engine. The alternator is the item at the top of both pictures.
That fits perfectly

last I checked their is still no one making the evaporator for these cars. I would recommend removing it and selling. Not cutting the tubes off.

I’ve been reading some old posts. If I cut out or clean remove the AC compressor, will I need to do anything with my computer?