Removing Crank Sensor Bracket

Vinnyou

Jul 28, 2019
Incredibly noob question, but what are you guys using to remove the top bolt on the crank sensor bracket? 86 T type is getting no spark, and I thought I could easily remove this, but no space for me to put any wrench in there.. Does the balancer need to come off?? Thank you

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Jun 18, 2001
Louisville, KY
blog.andrewdscott.com
If you remove the sensor from the bracket, then align the gap on the trigger wheel with it, you can get the bracket off with a shorty wrench.

It's much easier if you pull the intercooler out of the way. And even easier still if you remove the crank pulley from the balancer. Then you can get on it with a ratchet and some extensions.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Sep 10, 2002
Texas
ihadav8.com
Sounds like you might have to invest in some new tools. I wouldn't think you would need to pull the balancer but as above you need a shorty wrench .
When you put it back measure the clearance on all three of the hall tangs on the back of the balancer by turning the engine where each tang is at the sensor and make sure they don't hit. Or you will be doing the sensor again in short order.

Vinnyou

Jul 28, 2019
If you remove the sensor from the bracket, then align the gap on the trigger wheel with it, you can get the bracket off with a shorty wrench.

It's much easier if you pull the intercooler out of the way. And even easier still if you remove the crank pulley from the balancer. Then you can get on it with a ratchet and some extensions.
Thanks for the help. It’s taken me a while to get around to this with the holiday, but I eventually ended up getting it off with a universal socket joint adapter. The bracket is stuck on there pretty well though. I saw another post on here of someone having this issue.. hopefully I don’t have to get crafty and pull out a dremel.... I put some PB Blaster, and will try prying it off tomorrow.

Also thanks for the pointer, the IC is off and nows the perfect time to give it a well deserved cleaning.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
The bracket is stuck on there pretty well though. I saw another post on here of someone having this issue.. hopefully I don’t have to get crafty and pull out a dremel.... I put some PB Blaster, and will try prying it off tomorrow.
It aluminum and slides over a steel dowel that's most likely rusty. There's also a chance you have an original bracket, which won't work with a new crank sensor unless you get the 'updated' bracket.

Vinnyou

Jul 28, 2019
Sounds like you might have to invest in some new tools. I wouldn't think you would need to pull the balancer but as above you need a shorty wrench .
When you put it back measure the clearance on all three of the hall tangs on the back of the balancer by turning the engine where each tang is at the sensor and make sure they don't hit. Or you will be doing the sensor again in short order.
You were right and thank you for the info. I’ll let you guys know how it goes

Vinnyou

Jul 28, 2019
It aluminum and slides over a steel dowel that's most likely rusty. There's also a chance you have an original bracket, which won't work with a new crank sensor unless you get the 'updated' bracket.
Unfortunately that’s the case.. is there an easy way to get the bracket off the rusty dowel?

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Jun 18, 2001
Louisville, KY
blog.andrewdscott.com
Unfortunately that’s the case.. is there an easy way to get the bracket off the rusty dowel?
What you've already done. Soak it in PB Blaster.

If you have both bolts out, tap it with a small hammer until it starts to move, then wiggle it until you can get a screwdriver blade between it and the timing cover, then carefully pry it off.

It's pot metal, it might snap. If it snaps, don't panic. You can still get new brackets. I think I got mine from Rockauto. They still had the option of a crank sensor with or without the bracket. Just last year.

Vinnyou

Jul 28, 2019
Thanks to your guys help, the crank sensor install was a breeze. But it didn’t solve my no start issue. So, I figured it might be the ignition module. Replaced that and still no luck.

I picked this car up in July. Drove it 400 miles home. Since July, I’ve been driving it every other weekend or so, sometimes more frequent. Really no issues mechanically - I thought. The other weekend, I was giving it gas from a stop light and it just bogged out on me and wouldn’t restart. The car cranks fine, just won’t turn over... The brief trouble shooting I did, I found it’s not getting spark, and not a fuel issue.
More than likely I’m just going to reach out to a turbo Buick guru in my area. Just stumped on what the issue is.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
Thanks to your guys help, the crank sensor install was a breeze. But it didn’t solve my no start issue. So, I figured it might be the ignition module. Replaced that and still no luck.

I picked this car up in July. Drove it 400 miles home. Since July, I’ve been driving it every other weekend or so, sometimes more frequent. Really no issues mechanically - I thought. The other weekend, I was giving it gas from a stop light and it just bogged out on me and wouldn’t restart. The car cranks fine, just won’t turn over... The brief trouble shooting I did, I found it’s not getting spark, and not a fuel issue.
More than likely I’m just going to reach out to a turbo Buick guru in my area. Just stumped on what the issue is.

Shotgunning parts without troubleshooting is a quick way to spin yourself out. ...and end up in the poorhouse.

Here's a quick test, pop off the oil fill tube and spin the engine over and see if the rockers move.

Vinnyou

Jul 28, 2019
Just went over the fuses once more to see if I missed something. It was a bad CCCI fuse..... *facepalm*

issue resolved..... can’t believe I missed something so simple.....

Thank you everyone

Reactions: Turbo6inKY