Remove/ fill in GNX vents on '87 GN

Randy Hagins

I bought a low mileage GN from a friend of mine last year. It's a one owner car with 42,000 original miles, car is mostly stock but one thing I wasn't too thrilled about is that he cut the fenders for the GNX vents. He did a great job but I want the car back to stock appearance. Is it possible to have the vents taken out and filled in? Has anyone had any luck with this or is it easier to just replace the fender? I am hoping to keep the car original so I would like to keep the stock fenders.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 73
Randy:
I am not a sheet metal mechanic, but I think that it is going to be very difficult &/or very pricey to get those filled in welded & be able for it to not show. I would leave them until I found a shop that can make it look original. Also does the fender have a slight vertical or horizontal radius in that area? Also, I don't see finding good right & left front fenders, prep, pain, alignment, & install sounds a tad costly also.

I bought a low mileage GN from a friend of mine last year. It's a one owner car with 42,000 original miles, car is mostly stock but one thing I wasn't too thrilled about is that he cut the fenders for the GNX vents. He did a great job but I want the car back to stock appearance. Is it possible to have the vents taken out and filled in? Has anyone had any luck with this or is it easier to just replace the fender? I am hoping to keep the car original so I would like to keep the stock fenders.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Randy
Replace the fenders. A patch is a patch and is always a patch.

Get some repop or junkyard fenders, sell the ones that are on the car now. That will be the best looking and most economical way to go.

Besides, the originals are already hacked up, so they aren't original anymore.

Randy:
Also, I don't see finding good right & left front fenders, prep, pain, alignment, & install sounds a tad costly also.

You have to know the old people that hoard stuff. I have some. Just asked him his location :cool:

randy is a great guy in my area, have met and hung out with him, he showed me how to set my tps and IAC ,old school way :cool:

I might be interested in the hacked up fenders and I’m just north of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, they are in good condition.... 42,000 mile car. PM me if you need more info. Thanks!

Attachments

• B28D78AE-7892-46BD-B3AE-EDE681882546.jpeg
    B28D78AE-7892-46BD-B3AE-EDE681882546.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 51
  • E9BE0F53-57EA-485B-8096-0CADC827390A.jpeg
    E9BE0F53-57EA-485B-8096-0CADC827390A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
Do the GNX vents actually lower the underhood temps? Or was that a simple styling item and marketing came up with the HP excuse?
Here in Phoenix,AZ. We try to do a lot to reduce the underhood temps. First thing I have done to all of mine is to remove the rear hood gasket on the drivers side. It makes a noticeable difference and is easy to put back when you sell the car. But I figured out quickly that if you want the A/C to work well, you have to leave the gasket on the passengers side to about 2 or 3" past where it sucks air from the bottom of the windshield.
Anyone have any ideas other than the fender vents? It gets to 115 here in the summer!
TIMINATOR

Do the GNX vents actually lower the underhood temps? Or was that a simple styling item and marketing came up with the HP excuse?
Here in Phoenix,AZ. We try to do a lot to reduce the underhood temps. First thing I have done to all of mine is to remove the rear hood gasket on the drivers side. It makes a noticeable difference and is easy to put back when you sell the car. But I figured out quickly that if you want the A/C to work well, you have to leave the gasket on the passengers side to about 2 or 3" past where it sucks air from the bottom of the windshield.
Anyone have any ideas other than the fender vents? It gets to 115 here in the summer!
TIMINATOR
Gnx vents are functional.. rp synthetic fluids, 160* tstat, ceramic coat exhaust manifolds/ turbo / down pipe, kb ram air scoop cut into air dam with flex hose routed into engine bay.. few things that come to mind

Have and/or doing all of that so far except the vents. I have a remote thermometer so I'll see how it works this summer. I keep track of my changes. I'm fabbing an intercooler cooler too before I drop in the new engine.
It's the little things......
If I can't find 50 hp in one place, then I'll find 2 hp in 25 places, or 30, or 40....
TIMINATOR