Remanufactured MAF question

gsgnnut

I just received a remanufactured ac delco MAF from rock auto for my 87 GN. The electrical connector is parallel to the airflow and the original is at a right angle. Just wanted to find out if anybody knows if this makes any difference from a functionality standpoint. Everything else about it seems to be similar. Im going to give it a try and see what happens, but I was just curious if anyone else had run into this with the remanufactured units. personally Im only lookintg for functionality and not concerned with originality.

Wow, tough room. I know, I should buy a LT1 and translator right? If the rock auto unit doesnt work Ill go see Jack Cotton. He's nearby and , he hasnt failed me yet.

Go with the translator best thing I ever did to mine or get a KNOWN good used 1 from here.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What brand of reman is it?

I was going to add "some are better than others," but folks in here might prefer "some are worse than others."

After reading a bunch of threads I would have thought that the AC Delco MAF would be best for those not wanting to go to the next level with the LS1 and translator. I quess its time to start hunting for a deal on a LS1

I think AC Delco these days is a re-badged Cardone.

I thought maybe you bought one of Rock Auto's famous Wholesaler closeout specials. I've bitten on a couple of those -- a wasp-waist MAF from a 3800 with no mounting bolt holes, an EGR solenoid with things pointing the wrong direction....

EDIT: I missed that you said it was AC Delco in the original post.

Last edited:
I just received a remanufactured ac delco MAF from rock auto for my 87 GN. The electrical connector is parallel to the airflow and the original is at a right angle. Just wanted to find out if anybody knows if this makes any difference from a functionality standpoint. ...........

The quick and simple answer to your question is "it will not make any noticeable difference" in an almost stock GN, as we have used many of these MAF's with no isssue.

We have not seen any drivability difference in this style MAF which was used on many GM vehicles from that era.

However, if you have a modified engine and are concerned about more HP at higher RPM, this MAF will not flow quite as much air as a stock GN MAF, and certainly not as much as a LS one.

You are the one to decide if it runs and performs up to your standards! :)

I installed the remanufactured AC Delco MAF today. I guess I'm lucky, as it works perfectly fine, no more stalling. The only annoyance is one of the 2 mounting tabs fell off. Car runs great now, so its not even worth returning it for that. A little epoxy and its good as new . Still wondering if its worth turning in the old original AC MAF I have for the 20 buck core charge- might be good idea to hang on to it just in case.

Thanks for the tip. I had one a few years ago that I returned that did just that. This one seems ok .

The only reman'd MAF's that have ever worked for me were calibrated by Blue Streak Electronics in Canada. I got one of the remaned Blue Streak units from a board member and it had the return label and info on the box and I put my used MAF in it and they sent it ( the original) back about 3 weeks later. Both of them have worked for about 5 years without a hiccup. When I tried to contact their company directly, they instructed me to go thru one of their distributors. I was needing one more. I will look at the box and get the info tomorrow. Who knows, maybe a larger company like Kirbans can get some thing started with them, if they still provide the service.

By "distributors" they mean re-badgers, outfits that sell the stuff under different brands. The first one they name on their site is Standard, that is Standard Motor Products. They next mention BWD, which was eaten by Standard some years ago. You can buy Standard at RockAuto.

The Blue Streak site further says, "In 1992 BSE became affiliated with Standard Motor Products, one of the largest and most respected automotive corporations in the world."

EDIT: Although I do notice that on RockAuto the Standard reman for 86-87 appears (judging by the picture anyway) to be a reman of Standard's own wasp-waist aftermarket MAF, not the original GM style, so this may not be quite the same deal rag231 is talking about. Who knows. You really just never know what you're going to get....

EDIT: But how do you get a reman of an aftermarket MAF that nobody bought to begin with? Unless people did buy them, and returned them, and those are more like "refurbished" than remans....

Last edited:
Just caught this thread

here is the straight scoop.....The only guaranteed way of getting the proper original style l986-l987 turbo regal maf sensor back from any rebuilder is to send in your ORIGINAL CORE and pray that whatever middle man company you go with can get yours back to you.

We eliminate that problem as we have original cores and we deal direct with Cardone I think we are the only Turbo Regal company that does deal direct with Cardone.

The one you got works for most people that don't care about being correct or working at hiher rpms. What it is is a Camaro 6 cylinder that they rivet mounting points to.

Richard Clark has tested Cardone original units and they work great.

Buy it from us and we allow for your original core.

Cardone's headquarters is near our shop and those are rebuilt at their headquarters so we get a fairly quick turn around.

Its true rebuilt is not 100% perfect but nobody is. We have had great success with them as we have with their other products.

Point is, as time goes on it is getting tougher and tougher to keep these cars original looking.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Other options exist which have been pointed out. I merely wanted to explain the Cardone factor.

Thanks- I did hold on to my original MAF rather than sending it back ,so I have an original GN unit to send to you for a rebuild in the future. Thanks for the info! wish I had that info a month ago but better late than never! .