Red Armstrong style SLIC

CS99

Im hoping someone will start building these again, or I can get the dimensions on one to build for myself.

Grumpy

Thread killer
Go threw all that work building them and everyone will want one :cool: till it comes down to PAYING for it ;) I had a lot of pics of it but can't find the damm things. GOOD LUCK

CS99

Im just planning on building one for myself for now. We will see how it goes. Theres at least 1000.00 just in materials

V6sleeper

Donations
$150.00
Dont forget about the flapper air scoop that opened up at a certain boost level.

V6sleeper

Donations
$150.00
That scoop while the idea was good, proved to do nothing. The airflow across the core during a pass does little to nothing to cool the charge.
Wasnt sure if it was effective,i just remember back in the day it had that function

V6sleeper

Donations
$150.00
Lorenz Racing posted some photos of it on their Facebook page last year including one installed. It’s a nice piece.
Red Armstrong Intercooler
Didn't know Lorenz built a reproduction run of these, had to be a boat load of money to reproduce, other then weight i cant see it being a big improvement over the Pte slic (by the way which weighs a ton) but really effective.

434nova

Didn't know Lorenz built a reproduction run of these, had to be a boat load of money to reproduce, other then weight i cant see it being a big improvement over the Pte slic (by the way which weighs a ton) but really effective.
I believe when they upgraded the car to run ths class which is a 3x2 turbo. They were running a 6766 turbo and going 9.50s. From there previous 9.80s I believe. There only upgrades was a 3.5 inch downpipe and there intercooler from what I can remember off the top of my head. I’m sure there is a gain over the precision but I doubt most will max out a precision slic, especially the newest ones which is bigger over the older ones.
I would have to think from a economic stand point they wouldn’t invest if there wasn’t a proven difference in pressure drop. I know they sold out the few they did have fast.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Any one know which "Garrett core for a turbo prop aircraft" was used for the red a unit(part number)? What about pressure drops at boost levels? Anyone have a chart or log with sensors on both sides of one of these? Building end tanks and inlets doesn't look extremely hard on YouTube. Just need a Tig and the skillz to do it.

forcefed3.8's

Buckeye Bullet
Any one know which "Garrett core for a turbo prop aircraft" was used for the red a unit(part number)? What about pressure drops at boost levels? Anyone have a chart or log with sensors on both sides of one of these? Building end tanks and inlets doesn't look extremely hard on YouTube. Just need a Tig and the skillz to do it.
3.5x14x12.1 is the core used. You use 2 to make one intercooler. At 950rwhp, i saw 2 psi pressure drop. After that, it started to climb. I believe that is due to the 2.5" inlet and outlet. I ran 8.19@166mph with the intercooler with a 7270 3 bolt turbo. The car ran 8.5s at 159mph at 950rwhp. On another car that ran 10.26@129, stock unopened long block on 38psi, it had .2lbs of pressure drop. The same car ran 10.8s@124 with a Precision SLIC. We were only able to run 28psi boost with the Precision. It was the older Precision. The new one seems to have less pressure drop. I have no temp data on it though.

forcefed3.8's

Buckeye Bullet
3.5x14x12.1 is the core used. You use 2 to make one intercooler. At 950rwhp, i saw 2 psi pressure drop. After that, it started to climb. I believe that is due to the 2.5" inlet and outlet. I ran 8.19@166mph with the intercooler with a 7270 3 bolt turbo. The car ran 8.5s at 159mph at 950rwhp. On another car that ran 10.26@129, stock unopened long block on 38psi, it had .2lbs of pressure drop. The same car ran 10.8s@124 with a Precision SLIC. We were only able to run 28psi boost with the Precision. It was the older Precision. The new one seems to have less pressure drop. I have no temp data on it though.
And there is no such thing as an aviation intercooler core. I dont know where Red got that. The core is the same that garrett sells for automotive applications.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Thanks for the info. I know of that other car that ran the 10.29 but wasn't sure which ic he was using. I guess I better get busy with my Tig skillz.

V6sleeper

Donations
$150.00
I believe when they upgraded the car to run ths class which is a 3x2 turbo. They were running a 6766 turbo and going 9.50s. From there previous 9.80s I believe. There only upgrades was a 3.5 inch downpipe and there intercooler from what I can remember off the top of my head. I’m sure there is a gain over the precision but I doubt most will max out a precision slic, especially the newest ones which is bigger over the older ones.
I would have to think from a economic stand point they wouldn’t invest if there wasn’t a proven difference in pressure drop. I know they sold out the few they did have fast.
Yea i dont have any experience with the first gen pte slic, i run the second gen with the 3" necks on e85 and its so much more responsive then the FM's i had on at first aside from the atr/cartech vertical flow unit , i tested about 7 different ones, i ended up staying with the pte slic out of all of them. would love to try the Reds if anyone wants to sell;)

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00