Rebuilt 200-4R shifts too high.

HighMileage

Albany,NY
I get 2nd gear at about 3,000rpm no matter what the throttle pressure.

I get 3rd at about 50mph. Took it all the way up to almost 70mph and cruised at light throttle. No 4th.

Maybe 4th would have come on at 85 or so? lol

The rebuilt tranny came with a neutral colored drive gear and neutral colored 31-tooth driven gear. I took that out and put my BRF stuff in there. (Pumpkin color drive gear and blue driven gear). I'm thinking that's where I went wrong.

I adjusted the TV cable. Pushed the button in...pushed housing in...stepped to the floor until clicking stopped.

Any ideas? Thanks.

This is what I put in:

image.jpg

Leakage on the governor circuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it. Sounds like consistent leakage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What code valve body is in the new transmission? Did you swap just the gears or did you swap the entire governor? If you swapped the governor did it shift ok with the original governor?

What code valve body is in the new transmission? Did you swap just the gears or did you swap the entire governor? If you swapped the governor did it shift ok with the original governor?

It's a BRC from what I understand.

I had a local guy do the tranny swap. Then I drove it home a few miles. I don't remember the shift points being that high.

I swapped out the whole governer assembly along with both drive gears. Now installed are my GN's original BRF stuff. Governor and both gears.

I'm suspecting I shouldn't have put that BRF governor in there. But before I drop that pan again...?

I would start by putting the governor in that came with the transmission. Just use the gears that came from your original BRF transmission. I never heard of a "BRC" code 200-4R transmission.

I adjusted the TV cable. Pushed the button in...pushed housing in...stepped to the floor until clicking stopped.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Not the correct way to adjust the TV cable, it is too tight. Which can cause late shift points.

Open the hood and rotate the throttle to WOT by hand. The cable may click one more time. Note if the throttle & TV cable bracket flexes once nearing WOT. If so back off the cable one click.

Check again, the bracket should not flex at WOT, and the cable wire should be tight. With the pan down can check that the TV plunger is even with the TV bushing.

RemoveBeforeFlight

the "BRC" is Lonnie's term for a "BR calibrated" valve body that he builds from standard VB cores (due to the cost and availability of performance cores). The one I was in (to put the correct speedometer gears in) he was using a medium weight governor with the "brc" valve body. If you Put a gn governor in there, you're going to have problems. take the little c clip off the end and swap just the gear.

Thanks for all the info,guys.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Gonna be working on it again tomorrow.

Post a picture of the governor that came out of the transmission.

Here they are:

On the left is the one that came with the rebuild. There is a 7 stamped on it.

On the right us the stock one out of my '87 GN. Has a small N stamped on it.

The GN one sure does look lighter.

You can tell my ignorance on this,can't you?

You guys are my only hope. I'm not dropping this car off to anyone for this kind of stuff.

Pic:
image.jpg

Update: That did the trick.

Shift to 2nd is at about 2,600.

3rd comes at about 35mph under light throttle.

4th is aprox 45-50.

Then I'm in the hiway waiting for lockup.... Pleeeeeeze... (Fingers crossed). 55-60... <thunk> there it is! First time for this 2,800 billet converter.

Shifts were a bit firm,but I guess they will get a bit softer with use. Right now there's only about 15 miles on the tranny and TC.

Thanks for the help,you guys.

Sorry for clogging the heck out of the tranny section lately.

Time to park this thing in the garage and think of what's next.
....replacement of the stock radiator,perhaps.

Thanks again.