Rebuild turns to Slushbox.

HighMileage

Albany,NY
Got about 50 miles on this tranny now. Maybe a little more. Mostly city driving with two 10mi hi-way rides.

Second to third did some kind of hesitate/slide thing a few times. Mental note. Maybe needs to be broke in.

Shifts 1-2 and 3-4 were firm. Maybe more firm than I like. I'd hear that driveshaft clang noise sometimes.

Lockup in 4th kinda slammed a bit.

Now 50 miles or so later,its total mushbox.

The TV is one click out from bending the bracket.

It does it right from cold.

There has been a few noises. One sounds like a needle bearing noise. One sounds like a bad water pump.
Both noises are subtle. I hear everything.

Not sure where to go from here.

Line Pressure? Tv at rest and full pull?
Warranty? Who assembled it and have you contacted them?
What does the fluid look like?

Line Pressure? Tv at rest and full pull?
Warranty? Who assembled it and have you contacted them?
What does the fluid look like?

Line pressure.. No idea.

Who? Rather not say. ..but I want to get this thing going. This is my 3rd or 4th post here in a matter of weeks.

Warrantee: Sez 1 yr.

Contact: Yes. But this person apparently has a lot on their plate.

Fluid: Brand new Amsoil. Looks new still.

I drove to a local mall this morning about 10 miles away. Mostly hiway. Everything was fine.

Might try to reset the tv cable, it could have slipped. If the line pressures aren't decent it isn't going to shift well, and will probably get sloppier the more you drive it as it wont be able to apply and hold the clutches.

If it has a yr warranty, I would be on them to "make it right". That said, now you know why I decided to learn to assemble my own. Not that there aren't very competent builders, my budget couldn't withstand what they were asking to put one together.

Get a gauge and check your line pressures in each gear at full and no TV and post them.
The builder having a lot on their plate is a bullshit excuse !! Either fix it or refund it !
Good luck

Bryan

Regardless of what's on their plate ,they still need to address your issue before the negativity starts which could hamper the quantity on their plate. I assume that you installed it because if they did a road test all of this stuff would have been apparent to them. This also sounds like it may have had several mods done to the valve body. Even tho you probably don't want the down time it may have to come back out.

I take these transmission stories to heart because it was my first hardcore learning lesson with these cars where I played around with a "national chain" trans shop thinking this was an ordinary trans.

I have had way more than my share of transmission issues. We finally nailed it down to a shitty front pump assembly. There was a seven and a half thousand gap on the rotor. Spec is one and a half thousands. This caused a huge 2 to 3 flare.

I'll be making a call on Monday.

Yeah,my guess is it will have to come back out.

I did rebuild a 440t4 fwd tranny about 10 years ago,so I know a little. This sounds like a front pump issue. The whirring sound.

Twice I've dropped the pan. Twice I've found metal filings. Remember,there's only 50 miles on this.

Calling on Monday.

Yep , those metal filings could have came from front pump or valve body mods. For the record, did you have your converter cut open and inspected? What was the reasoning behind the rebuild?

My stock converter and stock tranny worked great. It's just that I needed a higher stall converter to work with my larger turbo.

Then I figured.. Why not put a beefier tranny in when replacing the converter?

I still have all of my factory stuff. I didn't send my great working BRF in as a core.