Rear trans yoke seal leaking

MCH86GN

I just got my transmission rebuild and the rear seal where the slip goes in is leaking. I think just the seal needs to be changed. I want to make sure I do it right. It appears to be simple, pop the old one off and install the new one.
Anything beyond that. Dave Husek said it shouldn't be to hard, but I've not done this before and any and all information would be nice.
Jack the rear end of the car up and pull the driveshaft, once the shaft is out pull the leaky seal which is new and may have been nicked or something when the driveshaft was put in and replace it with a new 2.99 from Autozone.

You have it right. Go to NAPA and get a seal puller. They are inexpensive and will make the job easy. Just be careful not to get the puller arm too deep. You don't want to nick the tail shaft bushing.

Here's the puller I use: http://mobiledistributorsupply.com/seal-puller-1.html?gclid=CO6or-Xuis8CFcYfhgodWJsL-w

To reinstall the seal, I use a small block of 2x4 with a hole drilled in the center so the output shaft fits in the hole. Line the seal up and hit the block of wood with a hammer. Start light to get seal started and check to be sure it is going in straight. Them give it a few good hits and your done. Lube the seal lip with some transmission assembly grease or ATF and insert the driveshaft carefully. That's all there is to it.

You have it right. Go to NAPA and get a seal puller. They are inexpensive and will make the job easy. Just be careful not to get the puller arm too deep. You don't want to nick the tail shaft bushing.

Here's the puller I use: http://mobiledistributorsupply.com/seal-puller-1.html?gclid=CO6or-Xuis8CFcYfhgodWJsL-w

To reinstall the seal, I use a small block of 2x4 with a hole drilled in the center so the output shaft fits in the hole. Line the seal up and hit the block of wood with a hammer. Start light to get seal started and check to be sure it is going in straight. Them give it a few good hits and your done. Lube the seal lip with some transmission assembly grease or ATF and insert the driveshaft carefully. That's all there is to it.
Got it fixed. Here was the issue, my driveshaft was hitting the driveshaft safety loop. That's what cause it to start leaking in the first place. Initially I thought my exhaust was banging and it turned out to the driveshaft. Bum deal because I pulled my exhaust and cut off and welding it back. Glad I figured out the root cause. Obviously I had to remove the driveshaft safety loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my transmission rebuild and the rear seal where the slip goes in is leaking. I think just the seal needs to be changed. I want to make sure I do it right. It appears to be simple, pop the old one off and install the new one.
Anything beyond that. Dave Husek said it shouldn't be to hard, but I've not done this before and any and all information would be nice.
Jack the rear end of the car up and pull the driveshaft, once the shaft is out pull the leaky seal which is new and may have been nicked or something when the driveshaft was put in and replace it with a new 2.99 from Autozone.

Just want to make it clear what the issue was with the leaky seal. Because of the motor mounts, etc that were put in there was a change in the driveshaft geometry, it sat higher, and it caused my driveshaft to hit my driveshaft safety loop which is squared off at the top. The safety should be rounded at the top to match the contour of the floor board, but it doesn't. I'm not sure where the safety loop came from, it was on the car when i bought it.

In short, there was never any issue with the original transmission seal or transmission. Transmissions shifts awesome and converter spools my turbo instantly.

You have an older style hoop and if you contact RJC racing he has a new and improved style that gives more clearance. I would always have a hoop in my cars for my own piece of mind. Good luck

You have an older style hoop and if you contact RJC racing he has a new and improved style that gives more clearance. I would always have a hoop in my cars for my own piece of mind. Good luck
My engine builder is going to rework mine. So in a couple of weeks I'll have it back on. I wouldn't run without one either. Right now I'm more or less cruising in my car, so going s couple of weeks without one will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk