Rear end coversrion kit

macoystet

macoyster
Anyone know of a good rear end disck conversion kit that is out there for my 87 buick grand national

Thank you

I want to lower it couple inches, i can change wheel size if i have to cause right now my frame it out of the body , and might as well upgrade to rear disk brakes

I went with the Right stuff rear brake conversion kit in red.
happy with it. put in new 28 spline Moser axles and bearings.
I have hydroboost system

Pictures are with 17" rims but 15" are supposed to fit

Attachments

• Rear disc brakes2.jpg
    Rear disc brakes2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Rear disc brake1.jpg
    Rear disc brake1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 89
Summit Racing lists many kits to choose from.
The SSBC kits list a 15 inch wheel, but ours (GN wheels) are reverse mount and have a smaller I.D. than most.
I had an SSBC kit years ago, but the calipers are close to the frame and hit with a lot of buddies in the back seat. This is the reason for the “for use with stock height” warning.
The calipers (‘90’s T-bird super coupe) cleared the GN wheels by an 1/8”.
The rotors for this kit are from the front of an ‘86 vette modified to fit over the stock axles. They’re turned down from 11.5” to 11.1” (to fit stock wheels) and the backside of the hat is turned to a larger I.D. and are only available from SSBC.
Just some info that may help.

I have a cheap universal kit from speedway motors that use off the shelf 11.63” rotors which work with strange C-clip eliminators, but I had to make new brackets to rotate the calipers down away from the frame and require larger wheels. The axle flanges need to be turned down to fit. Most kits like this use ‘78- ‘82 Cadillac calipers which use D154 brake pads, the same as stock front pads (reuse the retaining clips).

There are YouTube videos of the in-line tube kit which is similar to the Right Stuff detailing kit.
That’s all I know.

Summit Racing lists many kits to choose from.
The SSBC kits list a 15 inch wheel, but ours (GN wheels) are reverse mount and have a smaller I.D. than most.
I had an SSBC kit years ago, but the calipers are close to the frame and hit with a lot of buddies in the back seat. This is the reason for the “for use with stock height” warning.
The calipers (‘90’s T-bird super coupe) cleared the GN wheels by an 1/8”.
The rotors for this kit are from the front of an ‘86 vette modified to fit over the stock axles. They’re turned down from 11.5” to 11.1” (to fit stock wheels) and the backside of the hat is turned to a larger I.D. and are only available from SSBC.
Just some info that may help.

I have a cheap universal kit from speedway motors that use off the shelf 11.63” rotors which work with strange C-clip eliminators, but I had to make new brackets to rotate the calipers down away from the frame and require larger wheels. The axle flanges need to be turned down to fit. Most kits like this use ‘78- ‘82 Cadillac calipers which use D154 brake pads, the same as stock front pads (reuse the retaining clips).

There are YouTube videos of the in-line tube kit which is similar to the Right Stuff detailing kit.
That’s all I know.

thanks, that's a nice set up i will like to do something like that to mine. so if i would get something from summit i will still need to modify some of the items or it will be a plug in play.

thanks
art

thanks, that's a nice set up i will like to do something like that to mine. so if i would get something from summit i will still need to modify some of the items or it will be a plug in play.

thanks
art

I believe the Right Stuff Detailing kit is plug n’ play. It seems there are options for drilled and slotted rotors too.
You will have to shorten the steel lines near the calipers for the flex hoses to connect.
You most likely will have to weld tabs to the axle to hold the ends of the steel line where they connect to the new flex hoses near the calipers.
You could make a spacer and hold the steel line with a hose clamp or something.

Looking at the photos, there are some tabs included as well as brake cables. Mine didn’t come with cables either.

I went with the Right stuff rear brake conversion kit in red.
happy with it. put in new 28 spline Moser axles and bearings.
I have hydroboost system
Do you happen to have the Right Stuff Kit Part Number, I can't seem to find it in the Red Calipers.

I'll look for the part number but I believe it has the RD in it Right Stuff AFXRDM78Z ?

I'll look for the part number but I believe it has the RD in it Right Stuff AFXRDM78Z ?
when I go to check the fit, They say it fits a Skylark. When checking VIN 9 it say's Monte Carlo (Close but no cigar).

I think I have the paperwork in the Garage.
I'll check, There are two different ones E brake and no E Brake plus the RED

1978-1987 Regal Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit, w/ Parking Brake, D&S Rotors, Red Calipers AFXRD78Z​