rear disc conversion

QUIP'6'

Brian Roman
would this kit work? it looks like it requires no cutting or mods. uses are flange.plus the safety of not using c clip eliminators. disc brakes.jpg

WHAT ?? :eek: C-clip eliminators ARE SAFER than stock c-clip axles! :confused:

Claude
meaning with the disc brakes it will help keep the axle from flying out . or possibly slow it down because the caliper goes around the rotor. i know c clip eliminators are safer but with these and moser axles it would be safer than just drums

Sure. Why not? It looks like it'll do what you are asking. The rotor diameter leaves a little to be desired.

whats different on the 7.5 to 8.5 axles? is it the diameter of the axle where the studs go thru? all those kits call for a 3 bolt flange which the gn does but all other 8.5 gm rears are 4 bolt flange which u have to cut

whats different on the 7.5 to 8.5 axles? is it the diameter of the axle where the studs go thru? all those kits call for a 3 bolt flange which the gn does but all other 8.5 gm rears are 4 bolt flange which u have to cut

The 7.5" and the 8.5" G body axles have the same flange and you can even get a 28 spline set of spiders for a 7.5" so that the same axles will go in either a 7.5" or an 8.5". The 7.5" is more common so that's what they advertise for. :)

The 7.5" and the 8.5" G body axles have the same flange and you can even get a 28 spline set of spiders for a 7.5" so that the same axles will go in either a 7.5" or an 8.5". The 7.5" is more common so that's what they advertise for. :)

Are u saying That the od of the axles are the same. Others are saying you have to machine off an 1/8 of the axle of. Aren't Gn rear axles 28 spline

Are u saying That the od of the axles are the same. Others are saying you have to machine off an 1/8 of the axle of. Aren't Gn rear axles 28 spline

A 28 spline axle from a GN 8.5" axle will fit a 7.5" axle, providing that you change the spiders in the 7.5" to 28 spline is what I'm saying. As far as the flange on the axle it's the same. The entire drum brakes off a GN 8.5", backing plate and all, will fit on a 7.5" G body axle.

A 28 spline axle from a GN 8.5" axle will fit a 7.5" axle, providing that you change the spiders in the 7.5" to 28 spline is what I'm saying. As far as the flange on the axle it's the same. The entire drum brakes off a GN 8.5", backing plate and all, will fit on a 7.5" G body axle.
i dont know if you understand what i am saying. the end of the axle where the lug nut studs push thru is the 8.5 axle larger than the 7.5 meaning are the 8.5 axles 5 inches round and the 7.5 axles 4 7/8. cause they are saying that the rotor hat is smaller on a 7.5 axle than a 8.5 and i would have to machine off an 1/8 inch of the od. also summit racing sells a moser axle for a 7.5 28 spline. would it fit in a gn rear?

i dont know if you understand what i am saying. the end of the axle where the lug nut studs push thru is the 8.5 axle larger than the 7.5 meaning are the 8.5 axles 5 inches round and the 7.5 axles 4 7/8. cause they are saying that the rotor hat is smaller on a 7.5 axle than a 8.5 and i would have to machine off an 1/8 inch of the od. also summit racing sells a moser axle for a 7.5 28 spline. would it fit in a gn rear?

I had to do a little research and found that the stock axle for both the 8.5" and the 7.5" use the same bearing and have the same overall legnth (28 & 7/16"). I also did the LS1 rear disc upgrade on the axle. Everything I read so far ahas indicated that the actual flange you're talking about is the same diameter. I'll try and measure the axle flange on my car and see how big it is so there's actual proof.