Rear Disc Conversion Parking Brake

hawkfan

Just wanted to throw this question out there since it rarely gets answered in the rear disc conversion threads I've searched. How are you connecting the parking brake on your LS1, LT1, or whatever rear disc brake conversion you chose? I want rear discs, but also want a functioning parking brake.

no parking brake here,ford 9 with rear disks.i haven't needed it or missed it,full weight street car with track visits.

I took the disc brake parking link and welded the end of the part in the shoes to it. I'll see if I can find a pic to give you an idea.

100+ views but not many responses. I know rear disc conversions are pretty popular with G body owners, so does this mean most run without a parking brake?

I've got the SSBC conversion on mine and the stock parking brake cables work with the calipers. Huge difference in braking even with vac setup

I've got the SSBC conversion on mine and the stock parking brake cables work with the calipers. Huge difference in braking even with vac setup
Good to know. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a kit or just buy some brackets and a used LT1 or LS1 setup. I like the idea of the kit though since everything comes with it.

The Baer track 4 set-up that I have has provisions for a parking beak using the stock cable and its really easy to set up.

The Baer track 4 set-up that I have has provisions for a parking beak using the stock cable and its really easy to set up.
Baer is a well respected brand (for good reason) but is a bit much just for the rears.

I have to figure out a way too hook this up too. I have the LS rear discs, and intend on keeping a parking brake.

I have to figure out a way too hook this up too. I have the LS rear discs, and intend on keeping a parking brake.
How are you liking the 4 wheel discs so far? I'm working on the LS1 front conversion right now, but was thinking about just leaving the rear drums and just rebuilding them.

I had small discs on my malibu wagon, I loved them. The current build has the 13" front C5, and the 12" rear LS w/hydroboost. I haven't driven it yet since I am working on the chassis now.

If you're using the F body rear discs you need to use the parking brake lever off the drums and weld that to the lever on the disc brakes. You will also need the bracket off the F body in question so you can connect the cable.

On 1LE setup, I use impala SS rear cables and modified the attachment to the main cable.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Picked up all the parts to do another conversion so when I get to it I'll be taking pics and doing a how to so everyone knows how to do the set up. Here's all the parts you'll need to do it and it does require a small amount of welding as well as bending and flaring tubing. The main reason I picked up the brackets and brake lines is because the hoses for the calipers is and ISO fitting and the rubber hose from the body to axle have ASE fittings so you've got to do some adaptation.;)
DSCF1278.JPG

Picked up all the parts to do another conversion so when I get to it I'll be taking pics and doing a how to so everyone knows how to do the set up. Here's all the parts you'll need to do it and it does require a small amount of welding as well as bending and flaring tubing. The main reason I picked up the brackets and brake lines is because the hoses for the calipers is and ISO fitting and the rubber hose from the body to axle have ASE fittings so you've got to do some adaptation.;)
View attachment 223838
The LS1 rears are pretty popular with the G body guys. The only issue I have with them is you have to cut the axle flanges to get the backing plates to fit. It'll be interesting to see how you hook up the parking brake.