Rear Bumper Filler Question

I bought Fiberglass fronts and rears from ebay. Just finished test fitting them, they line up pretty good with the quarters and fenders. I had to drill all the holes open, so i drilled them just large enough for the studs and bolts to pass through and then used a round rasp to easily elongate the holes for alignment. I'm just gonna rattlecan them for now since i plan on bodywork/paint in the future.
I actually started a search on this subject myself because i just wanna find out if i should spray them with laquer or enamel, any opinions?
I hope to upload some pics of the process asap.

I have the ABS they are PURE JUNK! poor fitment, alignment and the middle by the gas cap area they didnt meet in the middle about a 3/4 " gap! I had to bond them together with a metal patch, and epoxy, bondo, glaze, and lots of wet sanding....lot of extra work. looks nice without a seam but it didn't really leave me a choice.

going to order Gbody tonight and I will pass on the information. I have some made from Carbon Fiber as well but they are for race only and the price is a little stiff but I personally own the mold.....

Going to put these on the street car to cruise the ice cream shops.....

Proheader

I bought a complete set of Gbody fiberglass and they look great. I was wondering if anyone has experience the bumper rubbing them and what is the cause and a fix? My assumption is the shop, after my restoration, put the bumper on a little off (is that possible). Yesterday I was out driving and caught a little bump and it must have cause the bumper and the fiberglass fillers to to rub chipping the paint on the fiberglass.

The bumpers can be adjusted up and down, and also in and out. To pull the bumper out and away from the filler, you would add a shim. You probably only need to adjust the bumper up or down by loosening the 8 bolts (4 per side). A helper comes in handy. I had to add an extra shim on the driver side front. I might have one to send you if you need it....otherwise just contact someone who is parting out a car, in the parts for sale thread.

I wouldn't recommend the fiberglass ones. They are too hard. If you ever get hit with one on, it will likely put a mean crease in your quarter panel. ABS plastic ones are a decent substitute and I've had no trouble using them in the past with a little adjusting.

None of the aftermarket ones I've come across so far are a direct replacement for OEM ones. I'm sure with all the technology available today it's only a matter of time till some decent replacements arrive on the scene. Quite surprised with the prices that NOS ones are selling for it hasn't motivated someone to come up with decent repops. There's obviously a large demand that will only increase over time as these cars age.

Fairly easy to tell the difference between aftermarket and OEM. 2 Holes and the stiffness

If it's a driver quality car I'd do the ABS ones. If it's a really nice low mile well kept original I'd search for some NOS ones. HTH

Well considering I was doing about 60 mph backwards when my 86 GN tagged a bridge there was nothing left of the filler. Quarter panel damage was nothing & trim broken on the out side tail light lens. Rear bumper was steel with an aluminum support. It folded & is what caused the damage. Not a firm filler.
I have had other events where guys cracked a Fiber glass filler & been repaired. Not easy to do with plastic. We will continue to sell Danko's when ours are done. Some people will not need a show quality set of fillers. The fiberglass units we are working on will be show quality & fit.
We will still carry the ABS units as well. If they made the fillers in Aluminum we would carry them to give people choices.
Ours will be twice as thick as the danko units. Miguel is fitting these to a hi dollar show car. But does a guy with a low 10 second car who cares about weight want a thicker Fiber glass filler? Probably not.

I said this before & I'll say it again so when people pull up searches they will see this.
ABS is hit & miss. They seem to have sharper lines. When they do line up correctly they work & look great.
Danko's are made off of a factory filler but do need work to be 100%. Some times they get released early & have twists in them. The rear units leave the tail lights with gaps. This can be fixed but are time consuming which costs your body man time which costs you $.
When ours get done we are hoping to have the closest appearing filler to factory as possible.
We are not rushing this & plan on presenting a quality control that can fit on every car & look factory when installed. Do I have an exact date no I do not. But when we do I will be the first to post.

Someone is supposed to be working on an improved set....was it Richard Clark? Can't remember

Maybe I am out of the loop here...but I am in the market for all 4 fillers and was wondering is there any updates on the G body or Richard Clark units? Anyone have the Kirban ones? I think GM is still selling the driver side front (according to GMpartsdirect). Of course my passenger front is cracked...lol

I believe Richard has dropped out of the project last time I talked to him. Yes, I can easily vouch many many people have our fillers as well as other vendors have sold many many of theirs...basically only a few different suppliers make them for the companies either in fiberglass or abs plastic. Unless you find originals.

I am not here to state the ones we offer are better than others....heck if you really look hard at the GM ones on your car they weren't really a nice even fit to begin with. Its all in the prep work and time to make them fit.

Personally I been lucky the ones on my white Turbo-T are still good and original.

We sell a lot of them....almost on a daily basis as I am sure most other companies do as well as it is one of those parts many owners will be needing or did need.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Gbodys filler project

Quote from Brian at GBody,
"When ours get done we are hoping to have the closest appearing filler to factory as possible.
We are not rushing this & plan on presenting a quality control that can fit on every car & look factory when installed. Do I have an exact date no I do not. But when we do I will be the first to post."

This attitude right here makes waiting for the ones Brian is doing all the more worth it.:)