rear brakes

oldmanbuick6

is it true that you can take the rear axle off the trans am( not sure of the year) and swap it out on 1987 gn so it can have disc brakes at the rear????
i heard this more then once. or is there a cost effective way do to this.

I believe the GN rear axle is stronger than the T/A axle.

The ‘82- ‘92 T/A axle has a torque arm setup with lower control arms only and a pan hard bar (track bar). It would take considerable fab work to swap it.

Guys have done the LS1 rear disc swap on the GN’s with parts from a junk yard.

is it true that you can take the rear axle off the trans am( not sure of the year) and swap it out on 1987 gn so it can have disc brakes at the rear????
i heard this more then once. or is there a cost effective way do to this.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, NOOOOOOOOO

F-body rears have 7.5" gears, which won't live behind our engine, except the 1989 Turbo Trans Am. It came with a super nice 10" unit made by Holden. F-body axles don't have UCA mounts because of the torque arm. And the LCA brackets will be in the wrong place, and the axle overall is a different width, so you'd need custom offset wheels for the rear.

I have thought a 79 and 80 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 back disk brakes would be a bolt on

The ls1 brake swap isnt very hard. I did it in a weekend. (To be fair, it was during football season and me and a few friends were in the garage, watching football and enjoying some beverages so all together about 2 hours of work got done in 2 days) Theres quite a few write ups here and on other g body forums, along with a few videos on YouTube. As long as you have good drill bits and a decent cutting tool it's an easy job. Worst part is the smell of diff fluid that seems to linger forever lol