Rear brake job

green95ss

Poor car collector
Hi,

I just finished changing my front brake pads to Performance Friction Carbon-metallics, and it was really easy.

I would like to do the rear shoes, but I've honestly never done drum brakes before. Is there a tutorial anywhere with pics that anyone can recommend?

Thanks,

Guhan

Its a little more involved. But just do one side at a time so you can compare them when you are reassembling them. You shouldnt have a problem. Or you could find someone to help you.

Scott

Do 1 side at a time and get yourself a set of brake spring pliers. Also remember there is a primary and a secondary shoe they are not the same.

The longer shoe goes toward the rear of the car. It is very important to keep grease off the shoes and it is very easy to have this happen during the install. Wear gloves and do not touch the face of the shoes with your hands. I use course sandpaper to remove any dirt that might have gotten on the shoes. I would not use brake cleaner because the oil will come to the surface when the brakes get hot.
Good Luck,
Jeff

I am not sure about the brake cleaner comment. I use it all the time and its important to safely hose off all the brake powder in side the drum area. The cleaner safely carries it away. You don't want to inhale any of that powder, even if it no longer contains asbestos.

The worst part of brake drums is getting the springs off. I use vice grips carefully clamp onto the not-wound portion of a spring. It provides a handle to pull on. The are still pretty stiff springs though.

Get the brake spring pliers and the tool that compress the 2
round springs that hold each pad and save your skin.