Ready to install Hurst Lightning Rod shifters

turbobuick1

This setup is currently installed in my car. The chrome is nice on the shifters with only minor flaws, the shifter knobs are in good shape with no chips. I'm including:

1) The mounting plate for the shifters.

2) The upholstered top part of the console (You have to cut the stocker in such a way you really couldn't go back to the stock shift indicator). The gray covering on it is very nice.

3) A bracket I fabricated for the front two screws holding the console in place (These screws normally go into the stock shifter bracket).

4) The metal console plate, and the buickgn.com "Lightning Rod" overlay. There is one tiny scratch about 1/4 by the ashtray, barely noticable. If I can find it, I have a "turbo 6" engraving for the ashtray which I will throw in.

5) And lastly, a reproduction shift cable of the original GM Hurst one, and the bracket that holds it to the transmission (200-4R in our case.)

$900 OBO.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 4,006
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 2,944
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,694
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 2,750
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,664
Would also consider trade on a nice 220V gas MIG or TIG welder, but you would have to be within driviing distance, somewhere in Michigan or northern Ohio.

Looks very cool. Any advantages over stock shifter? Or just the cool looking factor? Might be interested

bump for turbobuick1 - this is a good deal. I just bought a set and will have at least $900 in them by the time I rebuild them and buy a top plate. May not make you go faster but they are undeniably cool.

I can vouch for these since I"m the one who had them rebuilt and scrouged for the other parts. If you're wanting to go with this setup this may be the best deal you'll find on lightning rod shifters in this shape.

GnBrett, thanks for the compliment. I was trying to go for a "factory installed" look to fool the guys who don't know much about turbo buicks at the car show!

Transdamm, as far as I know there is no practical benefit to having the shifters. I mean, in my mind when Olds installed this in their own cars, it was more of a gimmick deal than a real benefit to drag racing. I have never raced with them, but I suppose if you are someone who likes to drag race and manually shift your auto trans, then this would be beneficial to you.

I installed it more for the cool and fun factor period.

Breiter, thanks, I'll be happy if I can break even.

Bishir, thanks for the input!

Those LR's look killer in the GN.:eek: Wish my Monte didn't have a column shift, i'd be all over these. I'd keep them if i were you.

May not make you go faster but they are undeniably cool.
x2..... easy and fast downshift to drive from OD tho so I think they do have a funtional purpose. Atleast that is what I keep telling myself since I would really like to buy this setup....:) gives that Lenco look;)

Is anyone familiar with how this setup would work with a stage right transbrake that is activated in low 1?

btw, that interior is mint!

This setup is currently installed in my car. The chrome is nice on the shifters with only minor flaws, the shifter knobs are in good shape with no chips. I'm including:

1) The mounting plate for the shifters.

2) The upholstered top part of the console (You have to cut the stocker in such a way you really couldn't go back to the stock shift indicator). The gray covering on it is very nice.

3) A bracket I fabricated for the front two screws holding the console in place (These screws normally go into the stock shifter bracket).

4) The metal console plate, and the buickgn.com "Lightning Rod" overlay. There is one tiny scratch about 1/4 by the ashtray, barely noticable. If I can find it, I have a "turbo 6" engraving for the ashtray which I will throw in.

5) And lastly, a reproduction shift cable of the original GM Hurst one, and the bracket that holds it to the transmission (200-4R in our case.)

$900 OBO.
Hi, I am inquiring about your HLR shifter, is it still available ? Is the shifter hooked up to a 2004R ? I need one that I can use on a 2004R but am not sure what it takes to adapt the HLR Shifter (3spd) to a 2004R (4 spd). Could you pls tell me what I need, I would certainley appreciate it. I am a new member & this is my 1st mssg so pls excuse me if I screw it up. Thank you.

Hi, I am inquiring about your HLR shifter, is it still available ? Is the shifter hooked up to a 2004R ? I need one that I can use on a 2004R but am not sure what it takes to adapt the HLR Shifter (3spd) to a 2004R (4 spd). Could you pls tell me what I need, I would certainley appreciate it. I am a new member & this is my 1st mssg so pls excuse me if I screw it up. Thank you.

Yes it's hooked to a 200-4R, but my Lightning Rod setup is from the 83-84 Hurst edition Oldsmobile, which Hurts made 4 speed setups for these cars especially. The Hurst edition Olds also had a 200-4R trans. You'll have to do some research or do some very clever machining/fabricating to make a 3 speed unit work. You would be further ahead to find a 4 speed unit on eBay or the like, they pop up from time to time. For the record, I've decided not to sell my setup for the time being. The small bracket for trans is also available on eBay from time to time. Angelo Valenti is a guy you might want to get a hold of if having a hard time tracking down parts. Google his name. Pioneer makes the best quality aftermarket shift cable. Don't buy an aftermarket one from NAPA, they're awful. Hope this helps.